Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The hospital served different purposes: it was a school as well. It also had a TB ward. Just past the hospital you could start walking on glacial or inland ice.
- It was not uncommon to see a polar bear or two - Arctic fox and rabbits
- Winter time is not exactly the best time to be in Narsarssuak - high winds at night ( up to 90 miles per hr off of the glaciers and cold temperatures) - wooden homes, barracks etc. were cabled to the ground at the time I lived there - most probably don't exist anymore.
- Summers believe it or not were relatively nice - around 70 degrees F...
- Don't expect to see many trees - those they do exist, they are not very tall.
- There are also flowers in Spring - in summer watch out for lots of mosquitoes and flies.
- It was also a German Weather and Radio Station during WWII... a US Air Force Base and Danish Coast Guard station.