I reverted this article to my earlier version. Lakshadweep is an Indian territory quite separate from the state of Kerala, just as Pondicherri is separate from Karnataka. Actually, Pondicherri consists of a number of enclaves surrounded by more than one state. (WT-en) DhDh 16:00, 10 Feb 2004 (EST)
Why does the talk page speak only about Kannada? there are several languages each with several dialects in Southern India (WT-en) Rockypg 04:28, 17 April 2007 (EDT)
Which 9 cities and Other destinations?
There are 10 cities listed, and the total number of Other destinations, though cleverly categorized, is 25. The whole point of a regional article like this is to provide an overview, not a deluge of recommended places to visit, because many of them can be covered at the state or lower levels. So which city should be removed, and which Other destinations? Ikan Kekek (talk) 09:28, 10 September 2014 (UTC)
- Vizag --W. Frankemailtalk 11:39, 10 September 2014 (UTC)
Can someone please update the map to include Telangana?
Remarks copied from Wikivoyage:India Expedition
None of this has changed, so:
Southern India#Other destinations has way more than 9 destinations and should be pared down. This region of India has a very important history, but Southern India#Understand needs more explanation and connection with travel and less in the way of long lists like "the Hoysalas, Chalukyas, Gangas, Kadambas, Pallavas, Cholas, Pandyas and Cheras." Some pictures of historic monuments from different periods could help. Compare the efforts at history coverage in Germany#History and Indonesia#History.
- I ruthlessly pared down Other destinations, leaving one major example of each category of attractions. For historical ruins, I left Hampi. For an example of a religious destination qua religious destination, Tirupati. I mentioned Brihadeeshwarar temple as the iconic example of Hindu temple architecture. I left Ooty and Kodai for hill-stations, and Havelock Island for beaches. We do have an article for Kerala Backwaters, so that's an obvious choice. That leaves us with seven destinations. We can add a couple more, but before doing that:
- If the destination you are proposing falls into one of the above categories, make the case for swapping an existing destination with your choice
- If it is a new category of destinations, we can add a new entry
- If we run out of categories, we can add a second example for some of the categories.
- Thank you very much, Ravikiran! About hill stations, though: They are questionable as "other destinations" because they are cities and towns, so they would seem to belong in "Cities" or otherwise could perhaps be mentioned in "See" as sights, but they aren't really "Other (=non-city) destinations". See Talk:India#Are hill stations cities? Ikan Kekek (talk) 09:42, 6 October 2015 (UTC)