The Tegernsee valley has been settled since the stone age. Records from the Benedictine monastery date from 746, which was one of the most important cultural centres in the region during the middle ages. In its heyday the monastery had 200 monks and over a thousand residents involved in numerous industries. Under Abbot Bernhard Wenzl (1673-1700), the monastery was remodeled in the contemporary baroque style and only the abbey church has been preserved in its original form. In 1815 the buildings of the castle and monastery were converted into the King Wittelsbach's summer residence. This was followed by many other nobles and artists the region and the beginnings of Tegernsee's tourism industry was born. In 1820, the landscaper Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell designed the gardens around the castle, which are mostly still preserved today.
From the former monastery, the brewery Herzoglich Bayerische Brauhaus Tegernsee was founded. The monastery's church now serves as a parish church.
During the weekend when there is good weather then you may well experience heavy traffic on these routes.
Bus services are provided by Regionalverkehr Oberbayern.
The Tegernsee-Schiffsflotte (Fleet of the Tegernsee) has eight ships of various capacities. Ships leave from various ports on the lake: Gmund, Kaltenbrunn, Wiessee-Bad, Wiessee-Ort, Abwinkel, Rottach-Egern, 2 Tegernsee-Braustüberl, 3 Tegernsee-Rathaus, 4 Tegernsee - Cafe am See and St.Quirin.
- 1 St. Quirinus Parish Church (Pfarrkirche St. Quirinus). The former monastery church, with a crypt and towers dating from the 11th Century. From 1680 to 1690 it was transformed into an early Baroque church, and extensive renovation work took place from 1998 to 2004.
- 2 Museum of the Tegernsee Valley (Museum Tegernseer Tal), Seestraße 17 / Ecke Bahnhofstraße, 83684 Tegernsee (Opposite th castle), ☏ . 14:00 - 17:00 (Open late May to middle October)except Mondays). Located in the old Tegernsee vicarage, this museum provides information about the culture and stories of the region.
- 3 Olaf-Gulbransson-Museum, Im Kurgarten 5 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Museum of graphics and illustration.
- [dead link] Tourist Information, Hauptstraße 2, 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ . Monday to Thursday 08:00 - 17:00. Fridays 08:00 - 16:00.
- Rodelbahn am Wallberg (Wallberg Toboggan Run). Germany's longest toboggan run is in nearby Wallberg . The 6,5 km long natural run has a height differential of 825 metres. You will need about 30 minutes for a journey.
- 1 Freibad Point, Überführerweg, 83684 Tegernsee (On the Seestraße (B307), about a hundred metres south of the town centre in the direction of Rottach Egern). In summer you can lounge around naked next to the lake here, or partake in some beach volleyball Free entry and parking.
- 2 Monte Mare Tegernsee, Hauptstraße 63, 83684 Tegernsee. Sauna by the lake
- 1 Michael Ostermeier Fishmonger (Fischerei Michael Ostermeier), Seestraße 42, 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ . Fresh and smoked fish from the Tegernsee and the fish farm in Wildbad Kreuth, Angelkarten.
- 1 Bräustüberl Tegernsee, Schloßplatz 1, 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ .
- 2 Schlossrestaurant Tegernsee, Schloßplatz 1, 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ .
Various beers are brewed by Tegernsee brewery. The best place to try them is Herzoglichen Bräustüberl Tegernsee - one of the best bräustüberls in Germany. It's very popular among the locals and always crowded.
- 1 Hotel Fischerstüberl am See, Seestraße 51, 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ . Hotel and restaurant with fish specialities from the Tegernsee.
- 2 Hotel Der Westerhof Tegernsee, Olaf-Gulbransson-Str. 19, 83684 Tegernsee, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. With a dream view over Tegernsee lake and mountains, this building began construction in 1017.
- There are various towns close by in the Tegernseer Valley.
- Other nearby lakes include the Schliersee, Spitzingsee and the Chiemsee in Germany, or just over the border the Achensee in Austria,