Jump to navigation Jump to search
Thebes (Greek: Thiva) is a city in Boeotia, central Greece.
Thebes is an unassuming modern town built on the site of the ancient city of the same name which played a dominant role over Classic Greece during the 4th century BC until its destruction by Alexander the Great in 335 BC.
The only reason to make a stop in Thebes is to visit its archaeological museum, one of the most important in Greece.
- KTEL Intercity Buses operate from Athens (15 daily) to Thiva’s 1 central bus station.
- Daily trains from Athens to Thebes 2 Railway station in less than one hour. Trains schedule can be found on Train OSE website.
- 1 Archaelogical Museum, Threpsiadi 1. Exhibits originate from excavations all around Boeotia, spanning from the Palaeolithic to the Post Byzantine periods.
- 1 Alati kai Piperi, 38, Dirkis Str, ☏ +30 22620 81122. Burger, souvlaki, sandwiches
- 2 Barbeque, 86, Epameinonda Str (Central Square), ☏ +30 2262 089098. 10AM–2AM. Grilled foods
- 3 Ladokolla, 105, Epameinonda Str. (Central Square), ☏ +30 2262 028400. Seafood dishes
- 1 Dionyssion Hotel, 5-7, Dimokritou Str, ☏ +30 22620 81500, +30 22620 81502. 2-star hotel
- 2 Meletiou Hotel, 56-58, Epaminonda Str, ☏ +30 22620 27333, fax: +30 22620 23334, email@example.com. 2-star hotel
- 3 Niovi Hotel, 63, Epameinonda Str, ☏ +30 22620 29888, +30 22620 89093-4, fax: +30 22620 89099, firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel
- 4 Philoxenia Hotel, 0,5 km Thiva-Ampelochori Road,, ☏ +30 22620 28705. 2-star hotel
- Delphi — about 100 km eastwards
- Eleutherae (by the old National Road to Athens) — One of the best preserved fortresses of Ancient Greece dated between 370 and 360 BC.
- Porto Germenos (45 km south by the old National Road to Athens) — A small seaside resort on the forested shores of Alkyonides Gulf, near the ruins of the Ancient Aigosthena, a fortified city still retaining several of the tallest surviving towers of ancient Greece.