Thermopolis straddles a north-south highway with two designations: US Route 20 and Wyoming State Route 789. Wyoming State Route 120 from Cody terminates in Thermopolis.
Cody is the nearest city with commercial air service. The next closest is Casper.
It's a small town that can be covered on foot, but if you want to travel in style, use horse and buggy. Wyoming Carriage and Taxi, +1 866 646-2723, runs sightseeing horse-drawn carriage rides in town during the summer months.
- 1 Hot Springs State Park, ☏ .
- 2 Wyoming Dinosaur Center, 110 Carter Ranch Rd, toll-free: .
- 3 Legend Rock State Petroglyph Site, 220 Park St, ☏ .
- Soak in the waters from the hot springs. There are several commercial operations that use the waters with varying degrees of gimmickry, but in addition, the town maintains a bathhouse that is free (under the terms of the treaty whereby a local Indian tribe ceded access to the spring in the 19th century) and open to the public during daylight hours.
- 1 Star Plunge, 115 Big Springs Dr, ☏ .
- 1 Las Fuentes, 530 Arapahoe St, ☏ . M-Sa 11A-2P, 5P-'closing'. Surprisingly good Mexican food, with a "New Mexican" slant; the "Maria," the house-special burrito, wouldn't be out of place in Santa Fe.
- 1 Best Western Plaza Hotel, 116 E. Park St, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. An historic hotel on the grounds of the state park, renovated and merged into the Best Western chain. A small spa/hot tub (no aeration) draws waters from the spring. Not a large place (36 rooms), so if you're interested in it, be sure to reserve, or at least inquire, in advance. Complimentary full breakfast.
- 1 Hot Springs County Memorial Hospital, 150 E Arapahoe Street (The Emergency Room entrance is off of Buffalo Street.), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 hours. Hot Springs County Memorial Hospital has an emergency room staffed by a physician 24-hours a day.
|Routes through Thermopolis|
|Yellowstone N.P. ← Worland ←||W E||→ Shoshoni → Casper|