Yichang (宜昌; Yíchāng) is a city in Hubei Province.
The population of the Yichang area is around 4 million, with about one and a half million within the city itself and the remainder in the outside areas. The city is located just below the Three Gorges and around 30 km downstream from the dam. It used to be the gateway to the upper Yangze and an important post in the Sino-Japanese war, though not much of those times is visible anymore. Nowadays the city is known as the ending point of the Three Gorges river cruising trip and is less often used for a trip upstream.
- 1 Yichang Sanxia Airport (YIH IATA) (located 40 minutes drive out of the city). There are flights connecting Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Wuhan, Xi'an, etc. Taxi prices to the airport vary from ¥60-¥80, there is also a bus going out there, find out in city when and from where it leaves. The airport shuttle buses run from the time when the first flight comes and stop till the last flight leaves. Its terminal is Qingjiang Hotel of Yichang City, which is about 40 km away from the airport. It takes around 50 minutes to get there from the airport with the ticket price of ¥20. It stops at bus stations and wharfs on the way.
Yichang can easily be reached by bus. There is a main bus station, where there are buses from/to main cities in China. There are further bus stations at the docks where the river cruises end/start.
Train is also a very easy way to get to Yichang. The old Yichang Station, located in the city centre, has been closed. The city is now served by the new Yichang East station that is about 10km from downtown station. You can take bus 1 further into the town and then change to bus 23 (these routes should parallel for a while) and then ride to its terminus (Yemingzhu) from which a non-city bus (number 8) goes to the Three Gorges Dam.
Situated on one of China's main east-west high-speed mainlines, Yichang has frequent rail service to the cities along this line (Shanghai, Nanjing, Wuhan, Chongqing, Chengdu); there are also high-speed and conventional trains to a number of other key destinations around the country, from Beijing to Guangzhou.
Many people get in by boat. Most boats arrive around 1-1.30pm at the docks from where it is possible to catch a bus to Wuhan the same night which for most people might be the most interesting option of getting out. There are also many Yangtze Cruises sailing on the Yangtze River between Chongqing and Yichang (see Do Section).
The locally run buses only cost a ¥2 and are regular enough to be relied upon. The town is not that big so going by foot is an option. If you want to go to the Three Visitors Cave take bus 10 leaving at the main Square (hourly or half hourly). A taxi ride out there is ¥10-20.
Taxi fares begin at ¥6 and then increase in small amounts over time and distance. Taxis may or may not use the meter, if you stay in the downtown limits, rides should not exceed ¥10.
- 1 Three Gorges Dam (三峡大坝). The largest dam in the world.
- 2 Three Visitors Cave and Park (三游洞风景区), 8 Nanjinguan Road, Xiling District (西陵区南津关路8号) (On a peninsula outside the city. Bus routes 10-1, b10 and Sightseeing Bus 2), ☏ , . Nov-Mar 08:30-17:00, Apr-Oct 07:30-18:00. The cave contains some poetry engraved in stone, not very big though but has a nice little story to it. The surrounding park has a view of the Yangze River as well as some old military defense walls, Sino-Japanese war memorial stones, a river viewing pavilion and some ancient city remains. The walk around the park has lots of steps and is a pretty decent, good relaxing spot. ¥78.
- 3 Tribe of the Three Gorges (三峡人家，三峡村 Three Gorges Village), Shipai Village, Sandou Town, Yiling District (夷陵区三斗坪镇石牌村) (On the edge of Xiling Gorge, about 40km west of downtown Yichang. Bus 10-1 will take you there in about an hour and a half), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mar-Oct 08:00-17:30, Nov-Feb 08:30-17:00. The ticket office closes 2 hours before closing time. Has an amazing view of the river. The theme park style site features ancient relics and a natural karst cave like an underground palace. This site is very popular among Chinese, but very few Western travelers know this place. A day tour will cover all interesting sites in this area. It is suggested that you leave in the morning. General admission ¥120, elevator ¥30, boat ride ¥30.
- 4 Yuquan Temple (玉泉寺), County Highway 230, Yuquan Village, Dangyang (当阳市玉泉村230县道) (About 80km by road from downtown Yichang and about 15km west of Dangyang. Take a long-distance bus to Dangyang (当阳) and ask the driver to drop you off at the Yuquan Temple Intersection (玉泉寺路口). From there, you will need to catch a motorcycle taxi to take you the rest of the way), ☏ , , . 07:00-17:30. The temple was founded in the late Eastern Han Dynasty, about l700 years ago. It is one of the oldest Buddhist monasteries in China. Free.
- 5 Changbanpo (长坂坡), 86 Changban Road, Dangyang (当阳市长坂路86号) (Take a long-distance bus to Dangyang, then walk or catch a taxi. Alternatively take the train to Danyang, then catch bus no. 1 and get off near the intersection of Zilong Road and Changban Road), ☏ . 08:00-18:00. Site of the Battle of Changba, a famous battle that took place between the warlords Cao Cao and Liu Bei in 208 A.D. ¥15.
- 6 Yichang Museum (宜昌博物馆), Bailin River Road, Wujiagang District (伍家岗区柏临河路) (Bus routes b313 and b343), ☏ . 09:00-16:30, no entry after 16:00, closed on Mondays. Free.
There are many luxury Yangtze cruises sailing between Yichang and Chongqing lasting three nights downstream and four nights upstream. The cruise fare usually includes shore excursions (Fengdu, Shennong Stream/Lesser Three Gorges, Three Gorges Dam) and all meals on-board the ship except the dinner of the check-in day.
- [dead link] Dragon Cruisers, ☏ . Each ship has weekly departures from each of Yichang and Chongqing from mid March to mid November. Operates Emperor, Dragon, Three Kingdoms and Serenity, which are all five star ships. Includes shore excursions at Fengdu Ghost City, White Shennong Stream (only downstream), Lesser Three Gorges (only upstream), Three Gorges Dam as well as on board entertainment.
- [dead link] New Century Cruises.
- Orient Royal Cruise (东方皇家旅游船; Dōngfānghuángjiā Lǚyóuchuán). Operates East King and Yangzi Explorer. Rates at homepage start at $760 for East King (plus $70 for shore excursions) and $1,400 for Yangzi Explorer.
- [dead link] President Cruises.
- Regal China Cruises (中国皇家公主号; Zhōngguó Huángjiāgōngzhǔhào).
- Victoria Cruises.
- Viking River Cruises.
- Bungie Jump, Besides the Three Visitors Cave (Xialaoxi Bridge). You can bungie jump near the Three Visitors Cave, though not recommended as the construction looks really old and badly maintained.
- Yiling Square. The center of Yichang, a Greenland covers 55,200 square meters. You can shop around this area.
- International Trade Building (Guomao) (In walking distance to the railway station). A 6-floor department store. On the first floor there is a huge super market, you can buy wine, food, and daily use stuff.
- Beishan Convenience Store. Yichang's 7/11 store. There is a lot of branches downtown, including one at Erma Road which is open 24 hours a day.
- Yichang Hotel (yichang fandian), Dongshan Dadao. Nice 3 star Hotel, a walk away from downtown, train and bus stations. ¥288, discounts ¥198.
- Wonhow Motel (Opposite the long distance bus station), ☏ . Check-out: 12 noon. New clean hotel. Staff speak a little English. Free internet access in rooms. Breakfast is included in the price. Double ¥198.
- Luck 7 Business Inn (Near the main railway station; 29 Lvluo road, Xiting area, Yichang), ☏ . Check-out: 14:00. Brand new and very clean hotel. High-speed internet in all rooms. Staff speaks a little English. Free internet access in rooms. Rooms from around 130 to 200 ¥.
- Super 8, 166 Yiling Ave (5 minute walk away from Wanda Plaza, and 2 km away from the railway station), ☏ . Check-out: 12:00. Free Breakfast. Internet access in rooms. Domestic direct dial telephone, IPTV digital cable TV, self service laundry and drying machines. $24.
- Orange Hotel (Xiaoxita) (宜昌丽橙酒店（小溪塔店）), 2 Luohe Road (Luohe Lu).
The Orange Hotel (Xiaoxita) (Yichang Licheng Jiudian Xiaoxita Dian) is a budget chain hotel located on Luohe Road, only 15 minutes' drive from Yichang Railway Station.
Rooms in this Yichang hotel are fashionably designed and furnished. Each room is complete with digital TV, domestic direct-dial phone and free broadband internet access. Business travelers can choose smart rooms equipped with LCD computers.
- Shennongjia Forest District, a national park in the mountains, where middle-class urbanites flock in the summer to escape the stifling heat of the Yangtze Valley
- Chongqing - it's a long trip by boat through the Three Gorges, but a scenic one; or you can get there in 4.5 hours by a high-speed train