Tierp [ˈtiːærp] is a town in northern Uppsala County in Sweden with approximately 5,500 inhabitants, being the largest settlement between Uppsala and Gävle. Despite being a rather small town, Tierp serves as the center for the entire Tierp Municipality with approximately 20,000 people, explaining a relatively large number of restaurants and stores. The shoreline to Baltic Sea is part of Roslagen.
Tierp developed as a railway town after the 1874 construction of Tierp Train Station along the Uppsala–Gävle railway, and quickly became the main settlement of northern Uppsala County. In the early 17h century northern Uppland was setteled by skilled Walloon immigrants, who helped develop the area into a mining and industrial centre, sometimes considered part of Bergslagen. Tierp has remained an industrial centre until this day, and major industries in the settlement include the industrial tools manufacturer Atlas Copco, and Tierps Järnbruk, most famous for producing manhole covers.
Tierp is connected to Uppsala and Gävle by commuter train "Upptåget" operated by the regional train operator UL. Commuter trains depart from Uppsala every 30 minutes during day time. The journey lasts some 36 minutes and costs 75 kr if bought with a travel fund, 96 kr if bought in advance, and 117 kr if bought on the train.
Tierp is also a station along Ostkustbanan, runned by Sweden's national train operator SJ, connecting Stockholm in the south with Sundsvall in the north. As a result, travellers who are going north from Uppsala or Stockholm (or south towards them) by train or road are almost certainly passing through Tierp anyway.
Buses to Söderfors take about 20 minutes.
- 1 Gillberga runestone. For those who have some spare time, feel like walking and have interest in runestones, there's a 2 km walk to Gillberga runestone (and another 2 km back). The route is northeast from the train station through areas of residential homes until reaching the limits of the locality. There's a wooden walkway and bridge over the marsh and river, respectively. The Gillberga runestone is located by the road beyond the first farm after the bridge. In English the inscription reads "Ráðulfr and Fundinn and Ǫnundr, the brothers erected this stone in memory of Kári the Eloquent, their father, the son of Uggr of Svanabýr."
- 2 Söderfors bruk. This factory was founded in 1676 to produce anchors for the Swedish navy. Today the smith is a museum, while the factory mansion is used as a restaurant and conference centre. In the mansion park you can find a Greek temple!
- Tierps hembygdsförening. an area with several houses and structures built in traditional wooden style. It is 360 m northwest from the train station along the railway, just beyond the local water tower.
- 3 Tierps järnbruk, Parkgatan 10. Ironworks that have made Tierp known throughout the country by producing manhole cover with "Tierp" imprinted on them. It's another 150 m beyond Tierps hembygdsförening.
- 4 Örbyhus Castle (Örbyhus slott), ☏ . Tours: May 16–Sep 6: Sa Su at 13:00, Jun 23–Aug 2, Daily at 13:00 and 15:00. In 1577 the Swedish king Erik XIV died during his imprisonment here. According to legend he was poisoned through a plate of pea soup! The Castle area is free. Guided tours are 60 kr.
- 1 Bánna Thai (Mai Thai), Centralgatan 13, ☏ . Tu-Th 11.00-20.00, F 11:00-23.00, Sa 12.00-23.00, Su 12.00-20.00. A Thai cuisine restaurant.
- 2 Brorsans Restaurang & Bar, Centralgatan 3, ☏ . M-Th 11.00-22.00, F 11.00-23.00, Sa 12.00-23.00, Su 12.00-21.00. Serves pizza, kebab and á la carte.
- 3 Matlådan, Järnvägsesplanaden 5 (Located 190 meters southeast from the train station along the railroad.), ☏ . typical small-town fast food place.
- 4 TP, Bangårdsgatan 14, ☏ . M-F 10.30-14.00. Is a lunch restaurant.
- 1 Nya Gästgivaregården, Järnvägsesplanaden 11, ☏ . In a 19th-century building. Prices range from a single bed in room of four for 300 kr per person, to a single room for 860 kr per person.
- 2 Söderfors Herrgård, Söderfors Herrgård 76, ☏ . A factory mansion turned into a hotel and restaurant centre.
- Gävle — is the closest major city, and the gateway to Norrland
- Uppsala — the heart of Uppsala County is a campus city and religious centre, with a Viking heritage
- Älvkarleby — at the mouth of Dal river offer sandy beaches
- Östhammar — by a sea-side region at the Uppsala county coast
|Routes through Tierp|
|Sundsvall ← Gävle ←||N S||→ Uppsala → Stockholm|