Before non-indigenous settlement the area now known as Tingha was mainly lived upon by people from the Nucoorilma group, which is an associated group of the Murri Aboriginal people. Many of their descendants still live in the surrounding area. The name Tingha is an Aboriginal word for "flat or level (ground)".
Tingha was first settled in 1841 by Sydney Hudson Darby and became a mining town after tin was discovered there in the 1870s. Within 12 months Australia’s first commercial tin mines were operating. Around 5,000 people arrived and about 1,000 of the miners were Chinese.
The village was proclaimed a town in 1885. Initially there were enough readily accessible surface deposits to make a good living without using machinery as Chinese people did. By the early 1900s the mining boom was over and Tingha's population had dwindled to just a few hundred people.
- 1 Inverell Tourist Information Centre (Coach terminal), 11/31 Campbell Street, Inverell, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa Su 9AM-2PM.
Tingha is 27 km south east of Inverell via Bundarra Road and Guyra Road, 64 km northwest of Guyra via Guyra Road, and 75 km southwest of Glen Innes via Gwydir Highway, Dodds Lane, Stannifer, and Guyra Road.
NSW Trainlink operates a rail coach that departs Tuesdays from Armidale at 5:50PM and arrives at Tingha at 6:48PM (Route 337), and departs Tuesdays from Inverell at 6:20AM and arrives at Bundarra at 6:50AM (Route 338). The coach stop is in front of the Police Station in Opal Street. A timetable for the coach can be downloaded here [dead link]. Booking and payment in advance is essential.
- , ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- , ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- Inverell (Windsong Travel), 45 Byron Street (between Subway and Imperial Hotel), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon. The coach does not stop here - it stops at the Inverell Visitor Information Centre (Transit Centre), 11-31 Campbell Street.
- Armidale (Railway Station), Brown Street, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-3:30PM, Sa 7:30-11:30AM.
- Armidale (Flight Centre), Shop 3a, 108 Dangar Street, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-noon. The coach does not stop here, it stops at the Railway Station.
- Inverell Taxis (Inverell Radio Cabs Co-op Ltd), ☏ . Taxi bookings must be made well before departure and upon arrival at the airport. Admin and alternative booking: +61 2 6722 3533 Call in advance to enquire about fares to/from Tingha.
By rental car
The nearest car rental agencies are in Inverell, Glen Innes, and Armidale.
- Wing Hing Long Heritage Emporium, 21 Ruby Street (opposite Royal Hotel), ☏ . Former store established by a Chinese tin miner, now a museum on the NSW State Heritage Register. By appointment. $3 per person
- 1 Stonewoman Aboriginal Area (9 km south of Tingha via New Valley Road, Kempton Road, Long Gully Road,). This area hold special cultural signifcance for the local Aboriginal people. Car parking. No facilities. 750 m walk to cultural site. No pets. No smoking.
- Tingha Tin Festival. Celebrates the discovery of nearby tin which established the village. Held in November.
- 1 Green Valley Park, 161 Jones Road (11 km southeast of Tingha via New Valley Road), ☏ . Open daily except Christmas Day 9:30AM-5PM. Holiday and entertainment park. Day entry (excluding Christmas Day) as well as accommodation. $15 per person, $8 per senior, free for children under 2.
- 2 Copeton Dam (eastern shore), end of Howell Road (24 km west of Tingha on Howell Road). Camping (no fees), boating, fishing. Public toilets, rubbish bins, no other facilities
There are no ATMs in the village
- Tingha Store & Newsagency, 21 Ruby Street (opposite Fire Brigade, next to Royal Hotel), ☏ .
- Red Rose Cafe, 1/3 Ruby Street, ☏ . daily 8AM-7PM.
- Royal Hotel, 15 Ruby Street (corner Ruby and Zircon Streets), ☏ .
- 1 [dead link] Tingha Gems Caravan Park, 91 Swimming Pool Road (1.4 km north of Tingha via Guyra Road and Swimming Pool Road), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Green Valley Park, 161 Jones Road (11 km southeast of Tingha via New Valley Road), ☏ . Holiday and entertainment park. Day entry (excluding Christmas Day) as well as accommodation.
- Police Station, corner Opal and Ruby Streets (Opposite petrol station), ☏ . Not open 24 hours
- Tingha Multipurpose Service Hospital, 13997 Guyra Road (northern outskirts of Tingha), ☏ .
- Tingha Independent, 2 Opal Street (corner of Opal and Ruby Streets), ☏ . M-F 7AM-6PM, Sa Su 7AM-4PM.
- corner of Opal and Ruby Streets (next to petrol station).
- Tingha Fire Brigade, 20 Ruby Street. Open daylight hours. Wheelchair access.
- Symes Park, Opal Street (between Sapphire and Amethyst Streets). Open 24 hours.
- Tingha Cemetery, 21 Garnet Street (southern end of Sapphire Street). Open 24 hours
- Glen Innes - 75 km northeast of Tingha via Guyra Road, Old Mill Road, Stannifer Road, Elsmore Road (turn right), Dodds Lane, Gwydir Highway (turn right) (1 hr 3 min)
- Guyra - 64 km southeast of Tingha via Guyra Road (41 min); 63 km southwest of Tingha via New Valley Road, Moreduns Dams Road, Tenterden Road, Guyra Road (56 min)
- Armidale - 101 km southeast of Tingha via Guyra Road, Guyra, New England Highway (1 hr 7 min)
- Tamworth - 196 km south of Tingha via Thunderbolts Way, Guyra, New England Highway (2 hr 15 min)
- Bundarra - 35 km southwest of Tingha via Howells Road, Thunderbolts Way (turn left) (26 min)
- Barraba - 104 km southwest of Tingha via Howells Road, Thunderbolts Way (turn left), Bundarra, Barraba Road, Gulf Creek Road, McIntyre Road, Woodsreef Road (turn right), B95 (turn left) (1 hr 36 min)
- Bingara - 95 km west of Tingha via Guyra Road, Bundarra Road, Inverell, Gwydir Highway, Delungra Bypass Road, Bingara Road (1 hr 10 min)
- Inverell - 27 km north of Tingha via Guyra Road, Bundarra Road (22 min)