Barraba is a historical village in the Nandewar Ranges. The district was explored in 1827 by Allan Cunningham, and the first farm in the district was established by 1838. The discovery of gold helped the village to grow from the 1850s. A railway ran to Barraba from 1908 to 1987. Barraba was a sheep and wheat district, but now beef cattle predominates. Copper and asbestos were mined in the district, and gemstones and fossils can be found. Barraba is in the Bundarra-Barraba Important Bird Area, which protects the habitat of the endangered regent honeyeater.
Visitor information centre
- 1 Tamworth Regional Council - Barraba Office, 108 Queen Street (next to Barraba Cafe), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8:30AM-noon, 1-4:30PM, closed on public holidays. Tourist and visitor information. Centrelink agent. Service NSW office. Public library.
Visitor information outlets
- Barraba Bakery, 81 Queen Street. M-F 6:30AM-4:30PM, Sa 8AM-noon. See the Eat section below.
- Saunders Fruit and Vegetable Supplies, 83 Queen Street. M-F 7:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 7:30AM-noon. See the Buy section below.
Barraba is on on the B95, better known as Fossickers Way, which starts at Tamworth and heads north through Manilla to Barraba. This highway then continues north through Bingara and Warialda (intersecting with the Gwydir Highway/B76, which heads west to Moree, Collarenebri, and Walgett and east to Inverell, Glen Innes, and Grafton) and ends at the Bruxner Highway/B60 junction near Yetman. The Bruxner Highway/B60 heads northwest towards Boggabilla and Goondiwindi (in Queensland), and east towards the Texas (in Queensland) turn-off, Tenterfield, Casino, Lismore, and Ballina.
The Fossickers Way/B95 is sealed along its entire length. Roads to most other places are usually unsealed part or most of the way, although they should be driveable for 2-wheel-drive vehicles under normal driving conditions.
Driver rest areas
From south to north:
- 2 Lions Park, B95, 5 km south of Barraba (right hand side, opposite Longarm Road intersection). Access for light and heavy vehicles. Toilets. Picnic tables. Playground. Shelter. Litter bins.
- 3 O'Meara Park, corner of Queen and Cooper Streets (right hand side, look for steam tractor). Access for light vehicles. Toilets. Picnic tables. Playground. Shelter.
- 4 Australia Day Park, Queen Street (right hand side, next to Barraba Swimming Pool). Access for light vehicles. Picnic tables. Shelter. Nearest toilets 180 m south in Rotary Park, behind RSL Memorial hall, corner Queen and Savoy Streets.
- 5 Barraba Recreation Ground, B95 (right hand side, northern outskirts of Barraba - 100 m over Manilla River Bridge: opposite Lillis Lane). Access for light and heavy vehicles. Toilets. Picnic tables. Shelter. Litter bins.
- 6 Anderson Creek, B95 (left hand side, 32 km north of Barraba, past Cobbadah). Access for light and heavy vehicles. Picnic tables. Shelter. Litter bins.
A NSW Trainlink coach service runs between Inverell and Tamworth to catch the long-distance trains at Tamworth. This coach stops in Alice Street, near the corner with Queen Street. Southbound coaches depart from here at 8:48AM W-M to Tamworth (Route 312) and northbound coaches depart 5:08PM W-M to Inverell (Route 311).
Bookings are essential - Coach drivers do not take payment or offer reservations.
- , ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- , ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- Tamworth (Railway Station), Marius Street, ☏ . Daily 8:30AM-4:30 PM.
- Barraba (Barraba Food & Fuel), 21 Queen Street, ☏ . 8AM - 6PM daily. The coach does not stop here - it stops 700 m north in Alice Street.
- Inverell (Windsong Travel), 45 Byron Street (between Subway and Imperial Hotel), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon. The coach does not stop here - it stops at the Inverell Visitor Information Centre (Transit Centre), 11-31 Campbell Street.
Barraba is not serviced any scheduled flights, however it has an airstrip 1.6 km to the southwest. Existing effective length 3000 feet. Bearings 20 degrees 30 minutes West of North. ICAO: YBBA. Communications: CTAF: 127.1, MISC: 119.6, MISC: 122.1
- Airstrip administration, ☏ .
Private transport is essential, as there is neither a taxi service nor a local bus service.
The nearest rental car agencies are in Tamworth, Gunnedah, and Narrabri.
In and near Barraba town
- 1 Nandewar Historical Society Museum, 71 Queen Street, ☏ . Open by request. Adults $2, children 50c.
- 2 Shed of Knowledge, 53 Henry Street, ☏ . By appointment only. Memorabilia collection.
- 3 Adams Lookout (5 km northeast of Barraba off Woodsreef Road). Views overlooking Barraba and Barraba Station.
- 4 Barraba Silo Art (southern outskirts of Barraba on B95). On old wheat silos, depicts a water-diviner, look for the Regent Honeyeater.
- 5 Copeton Dam, Copeton (116 km northeast of Barraba via B95, Bingara, Copeton Dam Road). Camping, childrens playground, picnic areas, toilets, fishing, kiosk, showers, boat ramps, water sports, bushwalking, golf.
- 6 Myall Creek Massacre Memorial Site (85 km north of Barraba via Bingara). Location of massacre of local Wirrayaraay people - first time white settlers were punished for murdering Aboriginals, 1838.
- 7 Three Creeks Gold Mine (55 km north of Barraba along B95, turn off onto Upper Bingara Road at Dinoga), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 9AM-5PM. Offers bushwalks, crystal fossicking, a bush camp site, barbecue facilities and a gift shop. There is also panning and a small museum of mining-related artefacts. Cash only.
- 8 Mount Kaputar National Park (Barraba Track) (48 km west of Barraba, head west along Trevallyn Road 20 km, take the Lindsay Rd turnoff, travel 28 km to the locked gate - permits and keys to the locked gate are available from the Barraba Cafe, 102 Queen Street.). See National Parks website for other entry locations and conditions. Permit required to access Barraba Track: $10 fee + $40 refundable deposit, paid in advance. Access to summit by 4x4, mountain bike or on foot.
- 9 Horton Falls National Park (47 km west of Barraba on Trevallyn Road). Waterfall may not be flowing during prolonged dry weather.
- 10 Sawn Rocks (Mount Kaputar National Park) (91 km west of Barraba via Killarney Gap Road). Natural rock formation.
- 11 Waa Gorge (Mount Kaputar National Park), Allambie Road, Berrigal (87 km northwest of Barraba via B95, Horton Road, Killarney Gap Road, Allambie Road). Picnic area with carpark, picnic tables, toilets. Waa Gorge walking track unformed, steep, many steps, Grade 5 - for experienced bushwalkers only (2.5 km, 2-3 hrs)
- 12 Cunningham Memorial (Taylors Reserve) (5 km west of Barraba on Trevallyn Road). An obelisk marks where the explorer Allan Cunningham crossed the Manilla River in 1827.
- 13 Rocky Creek Glacial Area, off Killarney Gap Road (58 km northwest of Barraba via B95 and Horton Road). Ancient glacial area. Toilets. Camping permitted.
- 14 Terry Hie Hie Aboriginal Area (Terry Hie Hie Community Conservation Area Zone 2 - Aboriginal Culture), Terry Hie Hie (85 km northwest of Barraba via B95 and Horton Road). Once a traditional meeting area for the local Kamilaroi/Gamilaraay people, this area features 6 cultural reserves, Yana-y Warruwi walking track (3.5 km loop, hard, 2.5-3.5 hrs), picnic area with car parking, toilets, picnic tables, barbecue facilities, fire rings (bring your own firewood), drinking water (boil first or preferably bring your own). Limited to none mobile phone coverage. Barbecues not permitted during Fire Bans. No pets, no smoking, Walking trail is possbile for handicapped access but still hard.
- 15 Bereen Mountain Lookout (27.5 km west of Barraba via Trevallyn Road). Views over Horton River valley.
- 16 Plumthorpe Travelling Stock Reserve (16 km west of Barraba on Trevallyn Road). Picnic area with barbecue on the bank of the Manilla River. Enter through (and close) gate. Birdwatching area. May not be accessible if livestock present.
- 17 Boonalla Aboriginal Area (Boonalla Community Conservation Area Zone 2 - Aboriginal Culture), Kelvin (67 km southwest of Barraba via B95, Longarm Road, Kelvin Road). Located on traditional Kamilaroi/Gamilaraay land. Walking trails, cycling trails, Boonalla Cave. Picnic ground on Eastern Forest Road (within the park) with car park, picnic tables, toilets, barbecue facilities. Car park and walking trail (1 hour return, moderate fitness, steep incline not recommended when wet) in the park near Boonalla Cave. No pets. No fires in the park. All water must be treated or bring your own.
- 18 Keepit Dam, Keepit Dam Road, Keepit (84 km southwest of Barraba via B95, Manilla, Rushes Creek Road). Camping, childrens playground, picnic areas, toilets, fishing, kiosk, showers, boat ramps, water sports, bushwalking, BMX track
- 19 Warrabah National Park (82 km southeast of Barraba via B95, Manilla, Namoi River Road). On the banks of the Namoi River. Carpark, barbecue facilities, picnic tables, toilets.
- 20 Split Rock Dam (41 km southeast of Barraba via B95 and Split Rock Dam Road). Camping, barbecues, picnic areas, toilets, fishing, showers, boat ramps, water sports, bushwalking
- Watch spectator sports. Ask at TRC branch office, Saunders Fruit & Veg, or Barraba Bakery about upcoming home games.
- Fishing, Split Rock Dam & Glen Riddle Reserve. Licences available at Barraba Food & Fuel. Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Black Bream, Jew Fish, Eel-tailed Catfish, Murray Cod.
- Birdwatching. See Tamworth Birdwatchers website for details. Download a map of birdwatching locations here
- Fossicking. Fossicking reserves at Ironbark Creek and Woodreef Recreation Reserve approx 18 km northwest of Barraba on Woodsreef Road. Petrified wood and fossils found by the road near Mt Lindesay.
- Barraba Show. Held first weekend in March
- Frost Over Barraba. Arts festival last weekend in June.
- Barraba Artisans and Farmers Market. 9AM-noon. Held 4th Saturday of the month.
- 1 Upper Horton Rodeo & Campdraft, Upper Horton (37 km northwest of Barraba via B95 and Horton Road), ☏ . Held New Year's Eve
- 2 Horton Valley Dog Trials, Upper Horton (37 km northwest from Barraba via B95 and Horton Road). Held long weekend in June.
- Westpac Helicopter Bowls Charity Day, Bridge Street. Lawn bowls competition - held first Sunday in September.
- Barraba Races. Horse racing. Held fourth Sunday in September.
- Barraba Festival & Fuller Gallery Annual Exhibition. Held second weekend in November.
- Barraba Lions Club Christmas Tree. Held Christmas Eve.
- 3 Bundarra Lions Club Goat Races, Bundarra Showgrounds, corner Bombelli and Oliver Streets (66 km northeast of Barraba via B95, Woodsreef Road, McIntyre Road, Gulf Creek Road, Barraba Road). First weekend in November
- 4 Barraba Golf Club, Trevallyn Road, ☏ . Honesty box as clubhouse is not always open.
- 5 Barraba Memorial Swimming Pool, Queen St & Savoy Street, ☏ . Open mid-October to mid-April: Tu-F 2-6PM; Sa Su noon-6PM. Indoor 12.5 m hydrotherapy pool (open during winter), outdoor 33-m 6-lane pool with diving boards, shade covered infants wading pool, waterslide, kiosk offering hot and cold food and beverages, spacious grassed areas, and a barbecue.
- 6 Barraba Bowling Club, corner of Queen and Bridge Streets, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M 3-9PM, Tu-Th 11AM-9:30PM, F 11AM-11PM, Sa 10AM-11PM, Su 11AM-9:30PM. Lawn bowls.
- 7 Barraba Town & District Tennis Club, 26 Queen Street. Court hire: day $5/hr, night $10/hr, keys available from Barraba Food & Fuel.
- 8 Dynamic Muscle & Fitness Centre, 140 Queen Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu & W 5:30-8PM. Gym/fitness centre. Casual membership available during opening hours $13.50
- 1 Barraba IGA, 134 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 8AM-6PM, Sa 8AM-12:30PM, Su 8AM-noon. Supermarket, liquor.
- 2 Caltex (Barraba Food & Fuel), Corner Queen & Rodney Streets, ☏ . Daily 5:30AM-8PM. Fuel, takeaways, milk, bread, BBQ chickens, grocery, lotteries, dry-cleaning, lottery, fishing licences, disabled toilets.
- 3 Caremore Pharmacy Barraba (Barraba Pharmacy & Newsagency), 113-115 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 8AM-5:30PM, Sa 8AM-noon. Newspapers, magazines, stationery, souvenirs, prescriptions, medications.
- 4 Saunders Fruit and Vegetable Supplies, 83 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 7:30AM-noon. Fresh fruit and vegtables, local honey
- 5 Barraba Beef, 89 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 7:30AM-noon. Butcher.
- 6 Barraba Bakery, 81 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 6:30AM-4:30PM, Sa 8AM-noon. Bakery. Pies, sausage rolls, cakes, sandwiches, wraps, salad bowls, cold drinks, tea, coffee, milkshakes. No gluten-free, no organic.
- 7 Barraba Rural Traders (Thrifty-Link Hardware), 64-66 Alice Street (on right-hand side before leaving town on Trevallyn Road), ☏ . M-F 8AM-5PM Sa 8:30AM-noon. Camping and outdoor supplies. Gas bottles and refills.
Arts and crafts
- 8 Fuller Gallery and Claypan, 74 Queen Street. Arts and crafts gallery; homemade soups, tea, coffee available F-Su 10AM-4PM.
- 9 Merlene's Fine Fibre Studio, 84 Queen Street, ☏ . Knitting, crocheting, weaving, felting, handspun yarns, jumper, hats, some rugs and shawls. Local and exotic fibres - wool, alpaca, cashmere, mohair and llama. Hand dyed from local forest plants and natural dyes. Phone for hours
- 1 Queen Street Cafe and Takeaway, 82a Queen Street, ☏ . Su-W 8AM-8PM, Th 8AM-8:30PM, F Sa 8AM-9PM. Cafe food
- 2 Barraba Bowling Club Chinese Restaurant, Bridge Street, ☏ . Lunch Tu-Su noon-2PM, dinner Tu-Su 5:30-9PM. Takeaways or dine-in
- 3 Shelley's Table, 121-123 Queen Street (Playhouse Hotel), ☏ .
- 4 Barraba Bakery, 81 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 6:30AM-4:30PM, Sa 8AM-noon. Pies, sausage rolls, cakes, sandwiches, wraps, salad bowls, cold drinks, tea, coffee, milkshakes. No gluten-free, no organic.
- 5 Polkadot Coffee Room, 87 Queen Street, ☏ . W-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-2PM, Su 9AM-1PM. Tea, coffee, iced coffee, milkshakes, cold drinks. Light meals, sweets, morning and afternoon teas. Gluten-free and lactose-free needs catered for.
- 6 Poppy's Bistro - RSL, 2 Maude Street, ☏ . Open W-M for lunch and dinner
- 7 Barraba Cafe, 102 Queen Street, ☏ . Tu-Sa 8:30AM-7:30PM, Su M 8:30AM-6:30PM. Fresh salads, wraps, burgers, pizzas, fish & chips. Milkshakes, coffee, cold drinks.
- 8 Commercial Hotel, 136 Queen Street, ☏ . Counter lunch W-Su noon-2PM, dinner W-Su 6:30-9PM.
- The Playhouse Hotel, 121-123 Queen Street, ☏ .
- Commercial Hotel, 136 Queen Street, ☏ .
- Barraba Bowling Club, Bridge Street, ☏ . M 3-9PM, Tu-Th 11AM-9.30PM, F 11AM-11PM, Sa 10AM-11PM, Su 11AM-9.30PM.
- Barraba RSL & Recreational Club, 2 Maude Street, ☏ . M-W 11AM-8PM, Th F 11AM-10PM, Sa 10AM-10PM, Su 10AM-8PM.
- 1 The Playhouse Hotel, 121-123 Queen Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Licensed restaurant for guests. Queen room from $125.
- 2 Commercial Hotel, 136 Queen Street, ☏ . Phone for rates and availability.
- 3 Barraba Motel, 17 Edward Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Restaurant for guests open daily 7AM-9PM. Devonshire teas and all-day breakfast available. Phone or email for rates and availability.
- 4 Andy's Guesthouse, 98 Queen Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Guesthouse. $120 per night.
- 5 Oakhampton Homestead, Oakhampton Road, Upper Manilla (40 km south of Barraba), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Country retreat and farm stay. It's not taking bookings as of Feb 2020. Doubles from $190 per night including bed & breakfast, self-contained cottages $140, bunkhouse $55/person.
- 6 Barraba Caravan Park, 10-22 Bridge Street (opposite Barraba Bowling Club), ☏ . Pets permitted (under control). Dogs must be on a lead at all times. Pets are not permitted in on-site accommodation and barbecue area/camp kitchen under any circumstances See website for rates, phone for availability.
- 7 Lions Park (5 km south of Barraba on Fossickers Way/B95, eastern side of the road). Toilets, barbecue, picnic tables.
- 8 Ironbark Creek (18 km east of Barraba, head north from Barraba 2 km, turn east 16 km along Woodsreef Road to the creek, cross the low bridge and barbecue is on the left before the cattle grid). Barbecue. Birdwatching area - enter through gate and walk upstream. Fossicking reserve.
- 9 Woodsreef Reserve (19 km east of Barraba, head north from Barraba 2 km, turn east 17 km along Woodsreef Road to the reserve). No facilities. Fossicking reserve.
- 10 Glen Riddle Reserve (17 km south east of Barraba, head south from Barraba 9 km, turn east 8 km along Pera-Linton Road to the reserve). Toilets, barbecue, picnic tables. Fishing permitted - fishing licence available from Barraba Food & Fuel
- 11 Split Rock Dam (41 km southeast of Barraba via B95 and Split Rock Dam Road). Boat ramp, toilets, barbecues, picnic tables.
- 12 Little Creek Reserve (21 km west of Barraba, head west along Trevallyn Road 20 km, pass the Lindsay Rd turnoff, travel 500 m to the reserve on the western side of the road). Picnic tables. Toilets.
- 13 Horton Falls National Park (32 km west of Barraba, head west along Trevallyn Road 20 km, take the Lindsay Rd turnoff, travel 10 km to the Horton Falls Road turnoff and follow the signs). Toilets, Picnic Tables
- 14 Mount Kaputar National Park (Barraba Track) (48 km west of Barraba, head west along Trevallyn Road 20 km, take the Lindsay Rd turnoff, travel 28 km to the locked gate - permits and keys to the locked gate are available from the Barraba Cafe, 102 Queen Street.). Toilets, Picnic Tables. Permit + key: $10 + $40 refundable deposit.
- Barraba Caravan Park, 10-22 Bridge Street (opposite Barraba Bowling Club), ☏ . See website for rates. Pets permitted (under control). Dogs must be on a lead at all times. Pets are not permitted in on-site accommodation and barbecue area/camp kitchen under any circumstances.
- 7 Telstra Air, corner Queen and Maude Streets (payphone outside the Australia Post LPO). Free wi-fi, requires Telstra Air app or log-ins.
- 8 Police Station, 3 Maude Street, ☏ . not open 24 hours.
- 9 Barraba Multipurpose Service Hospital, 24 Edward Street, ☏ .
- 10 Barraba Veterinary Clinic, 219 Mulwarree Road (continue along Rodney Street heading west out of town, on the left after the bend), ☏ . M-F 8:30AM-5:30PM.
Fuel & mechanical
- 11 Barraba Food & Fuel (Caltex), 21 Queen Street (corner Queen and Rodney Streets), ☏ . Daily 5:30AM-8PM.
- 12 Inland Petroleum (BP), 69 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 6AM-8PM, Sa Su 6AM-6PM.
- 13 Phil Denyer Mechanical Repairs, 73 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 8AM-5PM. Car repair and maintenance
- 14 Barraba Motors, 14 Alice Street, ☏ . Mechanic
- 15 North Barraba Diesel, 249 Bingara Road (B95) (near Woodsreef Road junction), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 7:30AM-5:30PM. Diesel, oil, auto mechanical services, diesel mechanics, tyres, batteries, wheel alignment, logbook service, engine & gearbox repairs, air conditioning for cars, boats, and tractors.
- 16 Public phone, corner of Queen and Maude Streets (outside Barraba Post Office).
- 17 Public phone, corner of Queen and Rodney Streets (opposite Barraba Food & Fuel).
- 18 Public toilet, Queen Street (opposite Barraba Pharmacy & Newsagency, at pedestrian crossing). 24 hours. Disabled access.
- 19 Public toilet, Queen Street (in Rotary Park, between Landmark and RSL Memorial Hall. Also accessible around the corner in Savoy Street). 24 hours
- 20 Regional Australia Bank, 125 Queen Street. Tu Th 10AM-3PM.
- 21 National Australia Bank, 129 Queen Street. M-Th 9:30AM-4:30PM, F 9:30AM-5PM, closed for lunch 12:30-1:30PM. No ATM - nearest are across the street at Barraba IGA (24 hours) and the Commercial Hotel
- 22 Westpac Bank Agency - Landmark (Landmark/Harts Rural Agencies), 137 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 8:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 8:30AM-noon.
- 23 Commonwealth Bank Agency - Australia Post (Australia Post), 120 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM.
- Barraba IGA, 134 Queen Street. 24 hours.
- Commercial Hotel, 136 Queen Street.
- Barraba RSL & Recreational Club, 2 Maude Street.
- Barraba Food & Fuel, Corner Queen & Rodney Streets.
- Australia Post - Licenced Post Office, 120 Queen Street, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM.
- Bingara - north of Barraba: 62 km via B95 (42 min)
- Warialda - north of Barraba: 106 km via B95 (1 hr 15 min)
- Bundarra - northeast of Barraba: 66 km via Bingara Road (56 min)
- Tingha - northeast of Barraba: 102 km via Thunderbolts Way (1 hr 24 min)
- Inverell - northeast of Barraba: 136 km via B95 and Gwydir Highway (1 hr 33 min); 153 km via B95 and Copeton Dam Road (1hr 53 min); 114 km via Thunderbolts Way (1 hr 32 min)
- Armidale - east of Barraba: 146 km via Thunderbolts Way and Bundarra Road (1hr 53 min)
- Manilla - south of Barraba: 47 km via B95 (33 min)
- Tamworth - south of Barraba: 92 km via B95 (1hr 9 min)
- Gunnedah - southwest of Barraba: 92 km via Longarm Road and Kelvin Road (1 hr 18 min); 117 km via B95 and Rushes Creek Road (1 hr 25 min)
- Boggabri - southwest of Barraba: 92 km via Longarm Road and Rangari Road (1 hr 19 min)
- Narrabri - west of Barraba: 129 km via Horton Road and Killarney Road (1 hr 39 min)
- Moree - northwest of Barraba: 162 km via B95, Elcombe Road, and Gwydir Highway/B76 (1 hr 51 min); 145 km via Terry Hie Hie Road (1 hr 56 min)