The name of the village comes from the Kamilaroi indigenous language and means 'full of creeks'. The rich fertile soil is suitable for farming cotton, broadacre crops, sheep, and beef cattle. Many locals also commute to nearby Goondiwindi for work. The Wobbly Boot Hotel is commemorated in a song of the same name by the Australian Country Music legend Stan Coster.
Boggabilla is in the Moree Plains Shire Local Government Area.
- 1 Moree Visitor Information Centre, 67 Alice Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa Su 9AM-1PM.
Boggabilla is at the junction of the Bruxner Highway and the Newell Highway.
It is 115 km north-east of Moree on the Newell Highway.
Driver rest areas
- 2 North Star Road Rest Area, Newell Highway, 30.4 km south-west of Boggabilla (left hand side, at the intersection with I B Bore Road). Light vehicle access. Heavy vehicle access. Toilets. Picnic tables. Wheelchair accessible. Shelter. Litter bins.
- 3 before Mungle Creek, Newell Highway, 31.5 km south-west of Boggabilla (right hand side). Light vehicle access. Heavy vehicle access. Shelter. Litter bins.
- 4 Kiga Bore Rest Area - southbound, Newell Highway, 59.3 km south-west of Boggabilla (left hand side in Taiga Lane). Light vehicle access. Heavy vehicle access. Picnic tables. Wheelchair accessible. Shelter. Litter bins. No toilets.
Inverell to Moree via Boggabilla and Goondiwindi
As of Mar 2021, Transport NSW are trialling a route (Route 499) between Inverell and Moree via Boggabilla and Goondiwindi.
This coach departs Inverell F only at 4PM, arrives at Boggabilla at 6:57 PM, arrives at Goondiwindi at 7:10PM. and arrives at Moree at 8:50PM. This coach departs Moree F only at 5:40AM, arrives at Boggabilla at 7:10AM, arrives at Goondiwindi at 7:18AM, and arrives at Inverell at 11AM. Seats for this service can only be booked by phoning Reynolds and Fogarty directly.
- Inverell, 11/31 Campbell Street (Inverell Tourist Information Centre).
- 5 Boggabilla, 116 Merriwa Street (Newell Highway) (opposite St Albans Anglican Church/Boggabilla General Store).
- Goondiwindi, 5 McLean Street (opposite tourist information centre). Corner of McLean Street and Bowen Street
- Moree, corner of Auburn Street and Roslyn Lane (behind Coles).
Brisbane to Boggabilla
Crisps Coaches run between Brisbane and Moree via Boggabilla. Bookings are required - phone or use the website to secure your seat.
Note that the times given are Australian Eastern Standard Time/Queensland Time (GMT+10). From the first Su in Oct to the first Su in Apr New South Wales is on Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (GMT+11), so adjust arrival/departure times for stops in New South Wales by adding 1 hour.
Also note that services may be adjusted or cancelled at little or no notice due to Covid-19 lockdowns, natural disasters, or changes in operations, so please confirm with Crisp's before departure.
- Crisps Coaches, 78 Grafton Street, Warwick, Queensland, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Office: M-F 7:45AM-5:30PM, Sa 11:30AM-12:30PM, 11:30AM-12:30PM 4:30-5:30PM. See full timetables and book online here.
Outbound coaches depart Brisbane M and F 10:45AM from the long-distance bus station in Parkland Crescent (outside Platform 10 at Roma Street Railway Station) and arrive at Boggabilla at the Wobbly Boot Hotel 4:25PM.
Inbound coaches depart Boggabilla from the Wobbly Boot Hotel M and F 8:50AM and arrive at Brisbane at the long-distance bus station in Parkland Crescent (outside Platfrom 10 at Roma Street Railway Station) 2:30PM.
Boggabilla isn't served by any airlines. The nearest airports with regularly scheduled services are at Goondiwindi and Moree. Note that times on your ticket relating to Goondiwindi will be in Queensland Time, not New South Wales Time - daylight savings time applies in New South Wales Oct-Apr but not in Queensland.
Private transport is essential, as there is neither a taxi service nor a local bus service in Boggabilla.
The nearest car rental agencies are in Goondiwindi in Queensland.
In and near town
- 1 Euraba Artists and Papermakers Gallery, 138 Merriwa Street (next to Moree Plains Shire - Boggabilla Office), ☏ . Local indigenous artists showcasing handmade paper art made from cotton off-cuts from the local clothing industry. Bookings essential
Out of town
- 2 Dthinna Dthinnawan National Park, Fishers Road (71 km south-east of Boggabilla via the Bruxner Highway, eastbound, pass the Warialda Road/B95 turn-off on the right and continue through Yetman and cross the Macintyre River bridge, turn left onto Fishers Road), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Toilets. Picnic Tables. Horse riding trails. Aboriginal sites. Four-wheel-drive required for most tracks. Free entry.
- 3 Boomi Artesian Spa Pools, 34 Boomi Street, Boomi (90 km west of Boggabilla via Newell Highway/A39 northbound, before Goondiwindi turn left onto Gunsynd Way, turn left onto Mungindi-Goondwindi Bridge Road, continue ahead to Boomi), ☏ . See website for hours. 25 m cold pool, wading pool, hot artesian spa pool. There is also a caravan park (+61 2 6753 5150) and a general store serving fast-food on-site, and the Pioneer Hotel (+61 2 6753 5204) is nearby, but there is no petrol station in Boomi. Adults $5, Children over (aged 3+) $4, Concession $4.
There is nothing much to do in Boggabilla apart from going on some walking trails.
Locals do their shopping in nearby Goondiwindi.
- 1 Boggabilla Town and Country Club, 94 Yeoman Street (corner of North Street and Yeoman Street - entrance in Yeoman Street), ☏ . Phone for hours. bistro fare.
- 1 Wobbly Boot Hotel, 92 Merriwa Street (corner of Merriwa Street and North Street), ☏ .
- Boggabilla Town and Country Club, 94 Yeoman Street (corner of North Street and Yeoman Street - entrance in Yeoman Street), ☏ . Phone for hours. bistro fare.
- 1 Boggabilla Motel, 85 Yeoman Street (corner of North Street and Yeoman Street, behind the Wobbly Boot Hotel. Entrance in Yeoman Street), ☏ . 12 rooms with free WiFi, barbecue facilities, pool. Rooms have air conditioning and heating, ensuite bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities, microwave, toaster, small fridge, TV, room service.
- Police Station, 96 Merriwa Street (near the Wobbly Boot Hotel), ☏ . not open 24 hours.
- 6 Coles Express (Shell), 33351 Newell Highway southwest bound, ☏ . Open 24 hours.
- Public telephone (near the coach stop).
- Public telephone (Shell Coles Express).
- Public toilets (Shell Coles Express). Open 24 hours.
Boggabri isn't serviced by any banks.
- Coles Express (Shell), 33351 Newell Highway southwest bound. Open 24 hours.
- Australia Post LPO (Town and Country Club), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM.
- Goondiwindi (Queensland) - north-west of Boggabilla: 9 km via Newell Highway/A39 northbound (9 min)
- St George (Queensland) - north-west of Boggabilla: 210 km via Newell Highway/A39 northbound, before Goondiwindi turn left onto Gunsynd Way, cross the Macintyre River bridge and turn left onto McLean Street, turn left at the roundabout onto Marshall Street, turn right at the next roundabout onto Herbert Street, turn left at the next roundabout onto Russell Street, continue ahead through the next roundabout, continue straight through the intersection with Elizabeth Drive and Riddel Street and continue ahead as Lagoon Street, at the next intersection continue ahead onto the Barwon Highway, pass North Talwood on the left, turn right/north onto the Carnarvon Highway, pass the Castlreagh Highway turn-off on the left, continue ahead to St George (2 hr 17 min)
- Yetman - south-east of Boggabilla: 62 km via Bruxner Highway southbound (40 min)
- Tenterfield - south-east of Boggabilla: 235 km via Bruxner Highway southbound, pass the Warialda Road/B95 turn-off on the right and continue through Yetman, pass the Old Texas Road turn-off on the left (to Texas in Queensland), pass through Bonshaw, pass the Bonshaw Road turn-off on the right (to Ashford), cross the Beardy River bridge, cross the Mole River bridge, turn right/southbound onto the New England Highway/A15, continue ahead to Tenterfield (2 hr 30 min)
- Inverell - south east of Boggabilla: 177 km via Bruxner Highway southbound, just before Yetman turn right/south onto Warialda Road/B95, turn left/east onto Yetman Road, continue through Graman, turn left onto the Gwydir Highway/B76 (1 hr 56 min)
- Tamworth - south-east of Boggabilla: 334 km via Bruxner Highway southbound, just before Yetman turn right/south onto Warialda Road/B95, continue ahead on the B95 through Warialda, through Bingara, through Barraba, through Manilla (3 hr 44 min)
- Armidale - south-east of Boggabilla: 303 km via Bruxner Highway southbound, just before Yetman turn right/south onto Warialda Road/B95, turn left/east onto Yetman Road, continue through Graman, turn left onto the Gwydir Highway/B76, in Invereell turn right onto the Tingha Road, pass the Golf Club on the left and continue ahead as Bundarra Road, pass through Gilgai, pass through Bundarra and continue ahead as Thunderbolts Way, turn left/east onto Bundarra Road, continue ahead through the intersection with the New England Highway/A15, turn right/south onto Miller Street, turn left into Kentucky Street/B78, pass the Bicentenial Arboretum on the right, turn left at the roundabout onto Dangar Street (3 hr 20 min)
- Moree - south-west of Boggabilla: 115 km via Newell Highway/A39 southbound, cross the Gwydir River bridge, turn right onto Boggabilla Road, pass the Carnarvon Highway turn-off on the right, continue ahead to Moree (1 hr 11 min)
- Narrabri - south-west of Boggabilla: 215 km via Newell Highway/A39 southbound, cross the Gwydir River bridge, pass the Boggabilla Road turn-off on the right and continue through Moree on the Newell Highway, pass the Moree Regional Airport on the right, pass through Gurley, pass through Bellata, pass the Killarey Gap Road turn-off on the left, pass the Kamilaroi Highway turn-off on the right and continue ahead (2 hr 13 min)