Yetman is located on the Macintyre River about 30 km south of the Queensland border. The area was once occupied by the Bigambul people, who used to fish here. The first farm, Yetman Station, was established in 1837 by settlers who followed the trail of the European explorer Allan Cunningham. The town is associated with the beef cattle and horse industries, with sheep, wool, and timber industries developing later. The surrounding farmland was reclaimed from rabbits and prickly pear in the 1920s, with wheat farming being established by the 1950s. Some crops are also grown on the river flats. Yetman is in the Inverell Shire Local Government Area.
Visitor information centre
- 1 Inverell Tourist Information Centre, 11/31 Campbell Street (opposite the Empire Hotel, on the river), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9:30AM-5PM, Sa-Su and public holidays 9AM-2PM, closed Christmas Day and Good Friday.
Yetman is on the Bruxner Highway, 62 km south-east of Boggabilla and 71 km south-east of Goondiwindi (in Queensland), and it is 193 km west of Tenterfield. Approximately 1 km southwest of Yetman is the turn-off to the Fossickers Way/B95, which goes south to Warialda (83 km), Bingara (124 km), Barraba (185 km), Manilla (230 km), and Tamworth (275 km). Inverell is 118 km southeast from Yetman via the Warialda Road/B95 and Yetman Road (passing the Graman Hotel at the 65 km mark).
Private transport is essential, as there is no taxi service or local bus service.
The nearest car rental agencies are in Inverell and Goondiwindi in Queensland - check if they will allow travel over the Queesland border.
As of Feb 2021, Transport NSW are trialling a route (Route 499) between Inverell and Moree via Goondiwindi. This coach departs Inverell F only at 4PM and arrives at Yetman at 5:32PM, arrives at Goondiwindi at 7:10 PM, and arrives at Moree at 8:50PM. This coach departs Moree F only at 5:40AM, and arrives at Goondiwindi at 7:18AM, at Yetman at 9:22AM, and arrives at Inverell at 11AM. Seats for this service can only be booked by phoning Reynolds and Fogarty directly.
- Inverell, 11/31 Campbell Street (Inverell Tourist Information Centre).
- Yetman, 1 River Street (Yetman General Store).
- Goondiwindi, 5 McLean Street (opposite tourist information centre). Corner of McLean Street and Bowen Street
- Moree, corner of Auburn Street and Roslyn Lane (behind Coles).
The nearest airports with regular scheduled services are in Inverell (through Fly Corporate), Moree, and Goondiwindi (in Queensland).
- 1 Dthinna Dthinnawan National Park, Fishers Road (12 km east of Yetman on Bruxner Highway, on the left), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Toilets. Picnic Tables. Horse riding trails. Aboriginal sites. Four-wheel-drive required for most tracks. Free entry.
- 2 Kwiambal National Park, Limestone Road (65 km (about 50 min) southeast of Yetman via Warialda Road/B95, Yetman Road, Wallangra Road, Sandy Creek Road, Limestone Road), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Toilets. Picnic tables. Barbecue facilities. Potable water. Bushwalking trails - Dungeon Lookout, Junction Walk, Macintyre Falls Lookout, Limestone Caves Walking Track, Slippery Rock Walking Track. Accommodation and camping - see website for further information and bookings. Free entry.
- 1 Yetman General Store and Post Office, 1 River Street (Bruxner Highway), ☏ . M-F 9AM-4PM. Fuel, groceries, Australia Post Licenced PO, takeaway food, fruit and veg, cigarettes
The nearest other fuel stations are in Boggabilla 62 km to the north-east, Warialda 85 km to the south, Texas (Queensland) 42 km to the north-east, Bonshaw 90 km to the east, and Inverell 118 km to the south-east.
There are no banks or ATMs in Yetman. The General Store does accept EFTPOS, but minimum spend is $10, and no cash out.
- 2 Codfish Hotel Motel, 105 Warialda Street, ☏ . M-F 3-7PM, Sa 12.30PM-midnight, Su 12.30-10PM. Pub fare. Bookings preferred
- 1 Codfish Hotel Motel, 105 Warialda Street, ☏ . M-F 3-7PM, Sa 12.30PM-midnight, Su 12.30-10PM. Phone for rates and availability
- 2 Yetman Caravan Park, 53-59 Macintyre Street (Look for the tennis courts), ☏ . Phone for rates and availability. Mobile: +61 458 170 944 Powered and unpowered sites. Laundry. Playground. Tennis courts. Camping: Toilets. Hot showers. Rubbish bins. No fire pits allowed.
- Wongalea Fishing and Camping, 2510 Bedwell Downs Road (Approximately 17 km south-east of Yetman via Bedwell Downs Road), ☏ . 8AM to 5PM. Various campsites along the Macintyre River on a cattle property. All take tents, some also take campervans. Firewood ($25) and self-guided tours ($10) extra. Phone for rates, availability, and relevant restrictions for the campsites, and so the hosts can meet you at the mailbox. Fishing, kayaking. From $18 per person per night - bookings essential.
- 2 Public phone, corner of River Street and Warialda Street (opposite Yetman General Store).
- 3 Public toilet, Yetman Bicentennial Park, Macintyre Street (Corner Bruxner Highway and Macintyre Street). No disabled access. Open 24 hours
- 4 Public toilet, Yetman Recreational Area, Macintyre Street (Yetman Caravan Park). Disabled access. Open 24 hours
- Texas (Queensland) - east of Yetman: 42 km via Bruxner Highway, Old Texas Road, Texas Road (31 min)
- Bonshaw - east of Yetman: 90 km via Bruxner Highway (1 hr)
- Tenterfield - east of Yetman: 174 km via Bruxner Highway (1 hr 51 min)
- Inverell - south-east of Yetman: 118 km via Warialda Road/B95, Yetman Road, Graman (and the Graman Hotel), Bannockburn Road, turn left onto Warialda Road/Gwydir Highway (1 hr 19 min)
- Armidale - south-east of Yetman: 243 km via Warialda Road/B95, turn left onto Yetman Road, Graman (and the Graman Hotel), Bannockburn Road, turn left onto Warialda Road/Gwydir Highway, through Inverell, turn right onto Tingha Road/Bundarra Road, pass the Guyra Road turn-off on the left, through Gilgai, cross the Copes Creek bridge (road now becomes Thunderbolts Way), through Bundarra, turn left onto Bundarra Road (2 hr 45 min)
- Warialda - south of Yetman: 83 km via Warialda Road/B95 (54 min)
- Bingara - south of Yetman: 124 km via Warialda, Allan Cunningham Road (1 hr 23 min)
- Barraba - south of Yetman: 185 km via Warialda, Bingara, Fossickers Way/B95 (2 hr 3 min)
- Manilla - south of Yetman: 230 km via Warialda, Bingara, Barraba, Fossickers Way/B95 (2 hr 32 min)
- Tamworth - south of Yetman: 275 km via Warialda, Bingara, Barraba, Manilla, Fossickers Way/B95 (3 hr 7 min)
- Boggabilla - north-west of Yetman: 62 km via Bruxner Highway (40 min)
- Goondiwindi (Queensland) - north-west of Yetman: 71 km via Bruxner Highway (53 min)
- Moree - west of Yetman: 177 km (sealed road) via Boggabilla, Newell Highway (1 hr 52 min); 132 km (mostly unsealed road) via Bruxner Highway, turn left onto Warialda Road/B95, then turn right onto North Star Road (Getta Getta Road), through North Star on I B Bore Road, turn left onto Croppa Creek Road, turn right onto Croppa Moree Road, turn left onto the Newell Highway, turn right onto Boggabilla Road (1 hr 36 min); 163 km (sealed road) via Warialda Road/B95, Warialda, turn right onto the Gwydir Highway/B95, go straight ahead onto the Gwydir Highway/B76 (do NOT turn off onto the Allan Cunningham Road/B95 to Bingara), keep on the Gwydir Highway the rest of the way (1 hr 49 min)