Commercial airlines fly to larger rural centres around Tenterfield. Most airports, such as Armidale, Casino, Lismore, Toowoomba and Ballina, are between 2 and 3 hours away. Car rentals are available at all regional airports within a few hours of Tenterfield.
The only way to access Tenterfield is by road. The New England Highway, which extends from Maitland NSW to Toowoomba in southern QLD, is the major highway which passes through Tenterfield. This is the main alternative to the Pacific Highway between Sydney and Brisbane. The Bruxner Highway, travelling East/West, connects Tenterfield with Ballina, Lismore and Casino in the East and Texas and Goondiwindi in the West.
- School of Arts. A National Trust building that contains a significant collection of Sir Edward Parkes relics.
- Tenterfield Saddlery, High Street. The Tenterfield Saddlery was classified by the National Trust of Australia in 1972. Peter Allen, singer and songwriter, has perpetuated the memory of George Woolnough in one of his best known songs "The Tenterfield Saddler".
School of Arts museum tour; Centenary Cottage; Girraween National Park; Boonoo Boonoo Falls; Tenterfield Cinema; Swimming pool
Tenterfield has cafes, pizza shops, bakeries, burger shops and restaurants. Being on a main highway between Sydney and Brisbane most food options are on the main street. Highlights include:
- Saddler's Cafe - (02) 6736 4400 - 212 Rouse St - Good quality modern australian food.
- Tenterfield Bowling Club - (02)6736 1023 - 83 Molesworth Street, Tenterfield. Typical club food including "Hot Rock"
- Criterion Hotel - (02) 6736 2888 - 378 Rouse St Tenterfield, NSW 2372. Good pub food.
- Coco Thai
- Henry On Rouse, 144 Rouse Street, Tenterfield, ☎ . 6 to 9PM. a la carte Menu. Lounge Bar with log fire in winter Main from $14.50.
- Best Western The Henry Parkes, 144 Rouse Street Tenterfield, ☎ . 6.30AM to 9PM. from $100 per night.
- Best Western The Henry Parkes 02 6736 1066 New England Highway.Off Street Parking. Restaurant. Free austar with 3 sport and movie channells. Swimming Pool, Gardens.
- Bowling Club Motor Inn 02 6736 1023 - One of the only accommodation options in town and off the highway. Truck and car noise can be annoying at highway motels. Has pay as you go Wi-Fi in most rooms.Tenterfield Bowling Club 
- Fairways Lodge (Tenterfield Golf Club) 02 6736 1480 - Also off the highway. IT is about 2-3km out of the town centre.
- Golfers Inn Motel 02 6736 3898
- Jumbuck Motor Inn 02 6736 2055
- Peter Allen Motor Inn 02 6736 2499
- Settlers Motor Inn, New England Highway; Undercover parking, swimming pool with spa, close to shopping centre, heating & air conditioning, 02 6736 2333
- Tally Ho Motor Inn 02 6736 1577
- Telegraph Hotel/Motel 02 6736 1015
- Tenterfield Motor Inn 02 6736 1177
- Tenterfield Tavern 02 6736 2888
- Tenterfield Travellers Lodge 02 6736 1477
Tenterfield Tourism, 157 Rouse St., Tenterfield, 2372; Phone: (02) 6736 1082
- Bald Rock National Park Bald Rock is the largest exposed granite type rock in Australia and the main feature of this park. This rock is 750 m long and 500 m wide, rising 200 m above the surrounding forest.
- Bluff Rock situated 10 km south of Tenterfield on the New England Highway.
- Boonoo Boonoo National Park
- Boonoo State Forest and Woollool Woollool Aboriginal Place
- Girraween National Park
- Sundown National Park