Uralla is a small town (pop. 2,743, 2016) at the junction of the New England Highway (A15) and Thunderbolts Way (19) in the New England region of New South Wales in Australia.
The name Uralla comes from the language of the indigenous Aniwan people, and means 'a ceremonial meeting place and look out on a hill', in reference to Mount Mutton on the outskirts of the town. The first European settlers established themselves on the site of the town in 1841. A gold rush began near the town in 1852. The infamous bushranger Captain Thunderbolt (his real name was Frederick Ward) operated in the district and is buried in the Pioneer Cemetery.
Uralla is the main centre of the Uralla Shire Local Goverenment area.
Tourist information centre
- 1 Uralla Visitor Information Centre, 104 Bridge Street, Uralla (near Thunderbolt's Statue. Please note it has been temporarily relocated to the Uralla Library next door), ☏ +61 2 6778 6420, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9:30AM-4:30 PM, Sa Su 10AM-3PM.
Uralla is on the New England Highway (A15), 23.5 km south-west of Armidale and 88.5 km north-west of Tamworth.
Uralla is 119 km south-east of Inverell via Tingha Road/Bundarra road, through Gilgai, through Bundarra and continuing ahead as Thunderbolts Way crossing the Gwydir River bridge, and at the outskirts of Uralla turn left onto Hill Street.
Trains run daily between Sydney and Armidale via Werris Creek and Tamworth. Trains depart from Central Station in Sydney 9:30AM, and arrive at Werris Creek 2:57PM. The train then splits into two, with one section going to Gunnedah, Narrabri, and terminating at Moree.
The other section that you want arrives in Tamworth at 3:37PM, departs Tamworth at 3:55PM, arrives at Uralla 5:12PM, and terminates at Armidale 5:35PM. The Sydney-bound trains depart daily from Armidale 8:40AM, depart Uralla 8:56AM, arrive at Tamworth at 10:09AM and depart Tamworth 10:27AM, arrive at Werris Creek 11:07AM to join up with the other train section from Moree, Narrabri, and Gunnedah. The combined train arrives at Central Station in Sydney 4:38PM.
Note that there is no ticket office at the Uralla Railway Station, nor is there a ticket agent in Uralla itself, and tickets cannot be bought on the train. Reservations must be made by phone or online.
Bookings and stops
- NSW Trainlink - regular bookings, ☏ +61 13 22 32. Daily 7AM-10PM.
- NSW Trainlink - multi-trip and Discovery Pass, ☏ +61 13 22 32. Daily 7AM-10PM.
- 1 Central Station, Sydney, Eddy Avenue, Haymarket, ☏ +61 2 9379 1777. Long-distance trains depart from The Grand Concourse (Platforms 1-15)
- 2 Uralla Railway Station, Duke Street (corner of Duke Street and Hill Street), ☏ +61 132 232. There is no ticket office at Uralla Station, and there is no booking agent in Uralla. Reservations must be made by phone or online.
- 3 Armidale Railway Station, Brown Street, ☏ +61 13 22 32. M-F 7:30AM-11:30AM, 2PM-5:30PM.
- 4 Armidale Flight Centre - bookings, Shop 3A, Corner Complex, 108 Dangar Street (near the corner of Dangar Street and Beardy Street), ☏ +61 2 6771 5474. M-F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-noon.
Crisps Coaches run between Brisbane and Tamworth via Uralla. Bookings are required - phone or use the website to secure your seat.
Note that the times given are Australian Eastern Standard Time/Queensland Time (GMT+10). From the first Su in Oct to the first Su in Apr New South Wales is on Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (GMT+11), so adjust arrival/departure times for stops in New South Wales by adding 1 hour.
Also note that services may be adjusted or cancelled at little or no notice due to Covid-19 lockdowns, natural disasters, or changes in operations, so please confirm with Crisp's before departure.
- Crisps Coaches, 78 Grafton Street, Warwick, Queensland, ☏ +61 7 4661 8333, email@example.com. Office: M-F 7:45AM-5:30PM, Sa 11:30AM-12:30PM, 11:30AM-12:30PM 4:30-5:30PM. See full timetables and book online here.
Outbound coaches depart Brisbane M and F 10:45AM from the long-distance bus station in Parkland Crescent (outside Platform 10 at Roma Street Railway Station) and arrive at Guyra at the Uralla Visitors Information Centre 8:05PM.
Inbound coaches depart Uralla from the Uralla Visitors Information Centre M and F 6:45AM and arrive at Brisbane at the long-distance bus station in Parkland Crescent (outside Platfrom 10 at Roma Street Railway Station) 2:30PM.
The nearest airport with regular scheduled services is at Armidale.
Private transport is essential as there is neither a taxi service nor a local bus service in Uralla.
The nearest car rental agencies are in Armidale.
In and near town
- 1 Thunderbolt's Statue and Constable Walker Memorial, corner of Bridge Street (New England Highway) and Salisbury Street (near the Uralla Visitors Information Centre). A life-size statue of the bushranger Captain Thunderbolt (Fred Ward), unveiled in 1988. Nearby is the memorial to Constable Alexander B Walker, who ended the bushranger's reign of terror.
- 2 Thunderbolt's Rock, New England Highway southbound, near Kentucky (7.5 km south of Uralla). A cluster of granite boulders used by the bushranger Captain Thunderbolt to spy for approaching mail coaches to rob. He was shot and killed at nearby Kentucky Creek in 1870.
- 3 Thunderbolt's Grave, Uralla Pioneer Cemetery, Uralla Square (John Street, off Queen Street). Burial site of the last of the NSW bushrangers, Captain Thunderbolt (Fred Ward, 1835-1870), whose reign of terror covered much of New England.
- 4 New England Brass and Iron Lace Foundry (Phoenix Foundry), 6 East Street, ☏ +61 2 6778 5065. By appointment only - phone the Uralla Visitors Information Centre 24 hours ahead. A former iron foundry, bought by the local community, and now demonstrating a typical blacksmiths shop and explaining how important the foundry was in the town's history. Phone for fees.
- 5 McCrossin's Mill Museum (Uralla Museum), 29-31 Salisbury Street (opposite Porter Park), ☏ +61 2 6778 3022, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Su 10AM-5PM. A former grain mill and store, the museum presents exhibits about the indigenous Aniwan people, the bushranger Captain Thunderbolt (Fred Ward), the Rocky River gold rush and Australia's first world sporting champion (rowing), Edward 'Ned' Trickett. Also see old farming equipment, old fire engines, and a steam engine. Adults $7, Concession $5, Children $3, Family $15.
- 6 Dangars Lagoon, Thunderbolts Way (5 km south of Uralla via Duke Street southbound, pass Marsh Lane on the right and continue ahead as Thunderbolts Way, lagoon is on the left). While the water level of the lagoon may vary during the year, from mid spring to mid autumn the lagoon is home to a large number of water birds - bring your binoculars.
- 7 Racecourse Lagoon, Thunderbolts Way (4.5 km south of Uralla via Maitland Street south-westbound, cross East Street and continue straight ahead on Plane Avenue, pass Marsh Lane on the left and continue straight ahead as Racecourse road, pass the sport ground on the left and the golf club on the right, pass Staces Road on the right and parking at the lagoon is on the right). While the water level of the lagoon may vary during the year, from mid spring to mid autumn the lagoon is home to a large number of water birds - bring your binoculars and camera. The indigenous Aniwan people lived beside the lagoon.
- 8 The Glen and Southern Cross Constellation Sculptures, Barleyfields Road (On the outskirts of Uralla via the New England Highway northbound, turn right onto Wood Street then left onto Barleyfields Road, The Glen is on the left). An attractive park with a shaded rest area for travellers. At the northern end of the pond is a set of sculptures represeting the night sky of the Southern Hemisphere.
- 9 The Big Soldier, New England Highway (A15) (southbound) (opposite the Country Road Caravan Park). Outside the former Uralla Military Museum, good for a selfie!
Out of town
- 10 Dangars Falls (Oxley Wild Rivers National Park), Dangars Falls Road (36.5 km via New England Highway northbound, through Saumarez, turn right onto Platform Road, at Kellys Plains cross the railway line and continue straight ahead onto Heathersleigh Road - not Platform Road - then turn left onto Knobs Road, at the four-way intersection turn right onto Dangarsleigh Road, at the Dangarsleigh War Memorial on the take the left onto Dangars Falls Road, continue ahead to the picnic area and campground), ☏ +61 2 6738 9100, email@example.com. 7AM-7PM. 183 m high ephemeral waterfall (only flows after rain). Nearby picnic area with toilets, picnic tables, barbecue facilities, bring your own water, take your litter out with you. McDirty's Walking Track - 6km, 2-3 hours, Grade 3. Free entry.
- 11 Mount Yarrowyck Nature Reserve, Thunderbolts Way (27.5 km north-west of Uralla via Thunderbolts Way, on the right hand side). Walking trail (easy and level except for one short section, 3 km return). Aboriginal cave painting site.
- 12 Gostwyck Chapel (All Saints Anglican Church), Gostwyck Road (11.5 km east of Uralla via Salisbury Street south-eastbound, turn left-east onto Gostwyck Road). Not open to the public, can only be viewed from the roadside. Best seen in autumn/fall. Gostwyck Chapel was built 1921 in memory of Major Clive Collingwood Dangar who died in World War 1. The tree-lined avenue was planted by a worker brought over from England specifically for the purpose. The church and the woolshed can only be observed from the road. Gostwyck Chapel is on private property, a working enterprise, and visitors are asked to carefully respect the privacy of Gostwyck Station, its owners and employees. No commercial photography is permitted.
- 13 Deeargee Woolshed, Hillview Road via Gostwyck Road (11.7 km east of Uralla via Gostwyck Road, pass the Gostwyck Chapel on the left, turn right/south onto Hillview Road, the woolshed is 100 m on the left). Not open to the public, can only be viewed from the roadside. A distinctive octagonal woolshed built 1872-1901 to replace one that had been burned down. It features 2 tiers of glass windows and roofing of galvanised iron. It could hold 80 shearers working at one time. Deeargee Woolshed is on private property, a working enterprise, and visitors are asked to carefully respect the privacy of Gostwyck Station, its owners and employees. No commercial photography is permitted.
- Uralla Heritage Walk. Take a 1-2 hour (depending on your level of interest) self-guided walking tour of over 50 historical buildings and features of Uralla. Obtain the heritage trail map from the Uralla Visitors Information Centre, and listen to the Soundtrail here.
- 1 Mount Mutton Walking Trail and Alma Park, Corner of Queen Street and Hill Street (Trail starts at the Soldiers Memorial). The walking trail starts in Alma Park, which was established in the 1880s and has bed of bright flowers in the spring, and over 100 trees planted by school children when the park was established. The park has room for caravan and campervan parking, toilets, childrens' playground, and 2 free gas barbecues. The walking trail starts at the Soldiers Memorial in the park, crosses Thunderbolts Way, and climbs through bushland around Mount Mutton. There is a diversion track to the top of Mount Mutton with views from Uralla Lookout over the district. The trail should take 30-45 min to complete, but wear suitable sturdy footwear as the descent is steep and winding - not wheelchair accessible. Download a map of the trail here.
- 2 Woolridge Fossicking and Recreation Reserve, Devoncourt Road (7 km north-east of Uralla via New England Highway southbound, turn right onto East Street/Kingston Road, turn right/north onto Devoncourt Road, at the junction turn right and remain on Devoncourt Road, take the first left and cross the cattle grid into the reserve), ☏ +61 2 6778 6420. Bring binoculars for birdwatching or wildlife spotting, or try your luck panning for gold and precious gems - bring your own gold pans and metal detectors (no motor-powered prospecting equipment permitted). Download more information on how to fossick (search for gold and gemstones) here. The Woolridge Reserve has parking for campervans and caravans and offers free parking, public toilets, picnic tables, wood-fire barbecues (subject to fire bans) and potable water for drinking. Pets welcome but must be on a leash at all times. Shooting is obviously prohibited.
- 3 Uralla Show, Uralla Showgrounds (King Street south-east bound, over the railway line), ☏ +61 2 6778 5099, firstname.lastname@example.org. Held in Feb. Annual local festival.
- 4 Uralla Bowling Club (Uralla Bowlo), 52 Hill Street (opposite Alma Park), ☏ +61 2 6778 4192. M Tu 10AM-10PM, W 9AM-11PM, Th 10AM-10PM, F 10AM-midnight, Sa 9AM-11PM, Su 9AM-9PM. Lawn bowls.
- 5 Uralla Golf Club, Racecourse Road (opposite the Uralla Sport and Recreation Centre), ☏ +61 2 6778 4059, email@example.com. Phone for hours. 18-hole golf course. 18-holes $20, 9-holes $15.
- 6 Uralla Tennis Club, Racecourse Road (Uralla Sports and Recreation Centre, opposite the golf club), ☏ +61 428 783 143, firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone for court hire. 6 tennis courts.
- 7 Uralla Swimming Pool, 1 Wood Street (opposite St Joseph's Catholic Church), ☏ +61 2 6778 4413, email@example.com. Seasonal - phone for hours. 25 m outdoor solar-heated pool, shaded toddler pool and spash fountain, grassed and shaded areas, picnic tables, free barbecue, drinking water fountain, kiosk selling snacks and refreshments. Adult $3.60, Child $2.10.
- 1 Foodworks Uralla, 100 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Salisbury Street, near Thunderbolt's Statue), ☏ +61 2 6778 4502, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 6:30AM-7PM, Sa Su 6:30AM-4PM. Supermarket.
- 2 Uralla Pharmacy, 70-74 Bridge Street (opposite the Bushranger Motor Inn), ☏ +61 2 6778 3721, email@example.com. M-F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-noon. Chemist.
- 3 Dale's Downtown Meats, 76 Bridge Street (next to Uralla Pharmacy), ☏ +61 2 6778 3960. M-F 5AM-5PM, Sa 5AM-noon. Butchers.
- 4 Moons Bakery, 58 Bridge Street (next to the Regional Australia Bank), ☏ +61 2 6778 4117. M-F 5:30AM-4PM, Sa 6:30AM-12:30PM. Bakery.
Arts and crafts
- 5 The Uralla Wool Room, 38 Bridge Street, ☏ +61 2 6778 4226. M-Su 9AM-4PM. Specialises in super fine merino wool garments and accessories for men and women.
- 6 Barking Dog Gallery, 36 Bridge Street (next to the Uralla Wool Room), ☏ +61 2 6778 3800, firstname.lastname@example.org. F-M 10AM-5PM (open M-Su during NSW school holidays). Showcasing ceramic, glass and wood art by local artists.
- 7 Chaucer on Bridge Street, 42 Bridge Street (opposite the Top Pub), ☏ +61 458 783 806. F Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1-4PM, other times by appointment. A former general store and billiard hall, the gallery showcases ceramics, textile pictures, books, paintings, and calligraphy by the Evans family. Bead jewellery and Saxon/Celtic jewellery available for purchase. Ceramic courses on Sa mornings. Coffee available. Other artists' works may also be exhibited.
- 8 Uralla Gallery, 80 Bridge Street (opposite the Bushranger Motor Inn), ☏ +61 429 129 127, email@example.com. Su-F 10AM-3PM, Sa 9AM-3PM, closed public holidays. Displays and sells original artworks, giftware, homeware, linens.
- 9 Bridge Street Studio (Sohphie Sorella's Fine Art), 99 Bridge Street (near BP Uralla), ☏ +61 405 702 309, firstname.lastname@example.org. By appointment only. Fine art paintings, original works available for purchase.
- 10 Burnet's Books, 46 Bridge Street, ☏ +61 2 6778 4682, email@example.com. Th-M 9AM-6PM. A must-see for book lovers and collectors of old books, maps, prints, and other printed material.
- 11 Sunhill Dairy Goats and Sunhill Skin Essentials, 645 The Gap Road, Salisbury Plain (9.5 km south-east of Uralla via Duke Street southbound, pass Marsh Lane on the right and continue ahead as Thunderbolts Way, turn left on The Gap Road and continue, Sunhill on the left hand side), ☏ +61 2 6778 4505, firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Su 10:30AM - by appointment only, 24 hours notice required. A 12 acre working goat farm, goat cheese, goat milk soap, and goat milk skin products available for purchase. Adult $20, Child $10, Family $50.
- 12 Eastview Estate and Dobson's Distillery, 298 Kentucky Road, Kentucky (16 km south of Uralla via New England Highway southbound, turn left/south onto Kentucky Road, Estate and Distillery on the right hand side), ☏ +61 2 6778 7473, email@example.com. M-Su 10:30AM-3:30PM. A unique and distinctive brewery, distillery and restaurant (open Sa Su only - reservations required),.
- 13 Merilba Estate Wines, 3611 Kingstown Road, Kingstown (44.5 km north-west of Uralla via East Street/Kingstown Road), ☏ +61 2 6778 9145, firstname.lastname@example.org. Sa Su noon-4PM. A well-known vineyard producing Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon, enjoy the wine at their restaurant - reservations essential.
- 14 New England Brewing Co., 19 Bridge Street (near the Top Pub), ☏ +61 2 6778 4781, email@example.com. W 11AM-4PM, Th-Sa 11AM-6PM - bookings essential. This brewery has produced handcrafted, all malt, preservative-fee, unfiltered beer since 2013. Take a tour or sample tastings, beer is also available on tap. Also try local wines, cider, and ginger beer, snacks provided.
- 15 The Sweet Place, 2/50 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Hill Street), ☏ +61 481 285 345, firstname.lastname@example.org. A traditional sweets shop (candy store) selling English confectionery, teddy bears, traditional lollies, chocolates, tea, honey, handmade soap, gift baskets, and assorted local products.
- Thunderbolt Inn Hotel (The Bottom Pub), 31 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Hill Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 4048, email@example.com. Pub fare.
- Coachwood and Cedar Hotel Motel (The Top Pub), 23-27 Bridge Street (opposite the Uralla Wool Room), ☏ +61 2 6778 4110. Pub fare.
- 1 Fung Wah Asian Restaurant, 49 Bridge Street (next to the Central Chambers building). Su M 5-9PM, Tu-Th noon-2PM 5-9PM, F Sa noon-2PM 5-9:30PM. Chinese Australian cuisine.
- West Ranges Bistro (Uralla Bowling Club), 52 Hill Street (opposite Alma Park), ☏ +61 2 6778 4192. Tu-Th noon-2PM 5:30-8:30PM, F Sa noon-2PM 5:30-9:30PM, Su noon-2PM 5:30-8:30PM. Chinese Australian cuisine.
- 2 Michael's Cafe and Catering, 98 Bridge Street (at the pedestrian crossing, next to Dale's Downtown Meats), ☏ +61 2 6778 3290. M-W 6AM-4PM, Th closed, F 6AM-4PM, Sa 7:30AM-1PM, Su 7:30AM-3PM. Cafe with Indian and other cuisine. Only pick up or $5 delivery in Uralla while Covid-19 restrictions in place.
- 3 The Alternative Root, 48 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Hill Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 3185. M-Su 7AM-2:30PM. Cafe fare.
- 4 The Pie Mechanic, 66 Bridge Street (opposite the National Australia Bank), ☏ +61 448 517 267, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 7AM-4PM. Craft pies, patisserie, coffee.
- 5 Thunderbolt Country Kitchen, 44 Bridge Street (opposite the Top Pub), ☏ +61 2 6778 3056. Th-Sa 8AM-2PM. Cafe fare.
- 6 Subway, 50 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Hill Street, opposite The Bottom Pub, next to The Sweet Place), ☏ +61 2 6778 4544. M-W 7:30AM-6:30PM, Th F 7:30AM-7:30PM, Sa 8:30AM-4:30PM, Su 9:30AM-4:30PM.
- 7 Tuck In Takeaway, 53 Bridge Street (in the Central Chambers building), ☏ +61 2 6778 4368. W-Sa 10AM-8PM, Su 10AM-7PM. Fast food - hamburgers, sandwiches, wraps, rolls, hot chips, hot meals, hot dogs, fish and chips, breakfasts on Sa and Su.
- 1 Coachwood and Cedar Hotel Motel (The Top Pub), 23-27 Bridge Street (opposite the Uralla Wool Room), ☏ +61 2 6778 4110.
- 2 Thunderbolt Inn Hotel (The Bottom Pub), 31 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Hill Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 4048, email@example.com.
- Uralla Bowling Club (Uralla Bowlo), 52 Hill Street (opposite Alma Park), ☏ +61 2 6778 4192. M Tu 10AM-10PM, W 9AM-11PM, Th 10AM-10PM, F 10AM-midnight, Sa 9AM-11PM, Su 9AM-9PM.
- Coachwood and Cedar Hotel Motel (The Top Pub), 23-27 Bridge Street (opposite the Uralla Wool Room), ☏ +61 2 6778 4110. Phone for rates and availability.
- Thunderbolt Inn Hotel (The Bottom Pub), 31 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Hill Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 4048, firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone or email for rates and availability.
- 1 Altona Motel, 113 Bridge Street (New England Highway) (next to the Matilda Roadhouse/Puma Uralla petrol station), ☏ +61 2 6778 4007, email@example.com. Individual on-site parking, large vehicle parking available.16 rooms with electric blankets, ensuite bathroom, air conditioning (some rooms), heating, TV, WiFi, alarm clock, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, microwave oven (some rooms), toaster, cutlery. Meals available from roadhouse next door. Phone or email for rates and availability.
- 2 The Bushranger Motor Inn, 37 Bridge Street (New England Highway), ☏ +61 2 6778 3777. Has luxury ground floor rooms in the heart of the historic Uralla NSW. All of the rooms are named after local Bushrangers. The property includes the beautiful heritage listed Stokers Restaurant and Bar, built circa 1864, with its log fires and hearty meals.
Bed and breakfast
- 3 Dingle B&B&B, 26 Maitland Street (next to the historic Mason's Hall), ☏ +61 2 6778 4555, firstname.lastname@example.org. B&B in historic 1885 cottage - 3 rooms with ensuite bathroom or shared bathroom, TV, breakfast included. Phone or email for rates and availability - bookings essential.
- 4 Grace Cottages, 168 Quartz Gully Road (3 km west of Uralla via Kingstown Road, turn right onto Quartz Gully Road, cottages are on the left), ☏ +61 488 658 132, email@example.com. Two cottages containing dishwasher, microwave, oven/cooktop, full sized fridge, barbeque, utensils and crockery, air conditioning, electric blanket, linen and towels supplied, clock radio with Bluetooth connectivity, toiletries, bath and separate shower, wood fireplace, ironing facilities, hair dryer, front loading washing machine, TV, DVD player, free WiFi, basic kitchen supplies and breakfast provisions provided. No bedding for children. No pets. No smoking. From $220 per night (minimum 2 nights stay) - phone or email for availability.
- 5 Country Road Caravan Park, 170 Bridge Street (opposite the Big Soldier statue), ☏ +61 2 6778 4563. Ensuite cabins, standard cabins, ensuite powered sites, standard powered sites. WiFi, camp kitchen, coin-operated laundromat, barbecue area, pets allowed with restrictions. Phone for rates and availability.
- 6 Queen Street Uralla Caravan Park, 17 Queen Street (next to Alma Park), ☏ +61 438 567 728, firstname.lastname@example.org. Powered and unpowered sites, camping OK.Camp kitchen, toilets, showers, pets allowed with restrictions, on-site laundry facilities. A short walk to the Uralla Bowls Club and the main street. Powered sites from $30/night or $180/week, unpowered sites from $22/night or $132/week.
Uralla is covered by Telstra, Optus and Vodafone with minimum 4G.
- 5 Police station, 9 Hill Street (next to Uralla Court House,near the corner of Hill Street and Maitland Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 4400. Not open 24 hours.
- 6 Armidale Hospital, 226 Rusden Street, Armidale (opposite Lambert Park), ☏ +61 2 6776 9500. Emergency Department open 24 hours. There is no hospital in Uralla. In case of an emergency phone 000
- 7 Uralla Veterinary Clinic, 116 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and Park Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 3133. M-F 8AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-4:30PM.
Fuel and mechanical
- 8 Matilda Roadhouse (Puma Uralla), 116 Bridge Street (corner of Bridge Street and East Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 4630. Open 24 hours. Petrol station.
- 9 BP Uralla, 116 Bridge Street (near the corner of Bridge Street and Dumaresq Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 3600. Petrol station.
- 10 Uralla Motor Repairs, 60 Rowan Avenue (corner of Rowan Avenue and Bridge Street), ☏ +61 2 6778 4674. M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 8AM-noon. Mechanics.
- 11 Public telephone, corner of Bridge Street and Salisbury Street (Apex Memorial Park, opposite Foodworks).
- Public telephone, outside 15 Hill Street (Next to the post office).
- Public toilet, Alma Park (corner of Hill Street and Queen Street). Open 24 hours. Disabled access.
- Public toilet, Pioneer Park (corner of Salisbury Street and Bridge Street, opposite Apex Memorial Park, opposite Thunderbolt's Statue). Open 24 hours. Disabled access.
- Public toilet, Hampden Park (corner of Hill Street and Duke Street, near the railway station). Open 24 hours.
- 12 National Australia Bank (NAB), 35 Bridge Street (next to Bushranger Motor Inn). M Th F 9:30AM-12:30PM.
- 13 Regional Australia Bank, 50 Bridge Street (opposite the Thunderbolt Inn Hotel, next to The Sweet Place). M-Th 10AM-3PM, F 9AM-5PM.
- Bank@Post (Australia Post), 11 Hill Street (opposite Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul's store)). M-F 9AM-5PM. Agent for Commonwealth Bank, Westpac Bank, National Australia Bank
- NAB ATM, 35 Bridge Street (National Australia Bank).
- Redi ATM, 50 Bridge Street (Regional Australia Bank).
- Cashcard ATM, 27 Bridge Street (the Top Pub). Hotel hours.
- 14 Australia Post, 11 Hill Street (opposite Vinnies/St Vincent de Paul's store). M-F 9AM-5PM.
- Armidale - north-east of Uralla: 23.5 km via New England Highway (A15) northbound, at the round-about turn right onto Uralla Road (B78), pass The Bicentennial Arboretum on the right, at the next roundabout turn left onto Dangar Street (20 min)
- Guyra - north-east of Uralla: 59 km via New England Highway (A15) northbound, bypass Armidale, continue ahead to Guyra (42 min)
- Glen Innes - north-east of Uralla: 120 km via New England Highway (A15) northbound, bypass Armidale, continue through Guyra, continue through Glencoe, continue ahead to Glen Innes (1 hr 22 min)
- Walcha - south-east of Uralla: 41 km via Duke Street southbound, Thunderbolts Way, pass Dangars Lagoon on the left, continue ahead to Walcha (28 min)
- Tamworth - south-west of Uralla: 88.5 km via New England Highway (A15) southbound - through Bendemeer, through Moonbi, through Kootingal, through Nemingha, continue ahead to Tamworth (1 hr 3 min) - Australia's country music capital
- Bundarra - north-west of Uralla: 72.5 km north-west of Uralla via Hill Street north-west bound, continue as Thunderbolts Way, pass the Mount Yarrowick Nature Reserve on the right, continue ahead to Bundarra (49 min)
- Bingara - north-west of Uralla: 145 km via Hill Street north-west bound, continue as Thunderbolts Way, pass the Mount Yarrowick Nature Reserve on the right on the right, at Bundarra turn left/west onto Oliver Street, continue through the four-way intersection as Brown Street/Barraba Road, turn right/north onto Bingara Road, turn left onto Copeton Dam Road, cross the Keera Creek bridge, continue ahead to Bingara (1 hr 41 min)
- Inverell - north-west of Uralla: 119 km via Hill Street north-west bound, continue as Thunderbolts Way, pass the Mount Yarrowick Nature Reserve on the right on the right, continue through Bundarra, pass the Guyra Road turn-off to Tingha on the right, continue through Gilgai, pass the golf club on the right, cross the Macintyre River bridge and turn left onto the Gwydir Highway (B76) (1 hr 19 min)