Boggabri is on the Kamilaroi Highway between Gunnedah to the south and Narrabri to the north. Boggabri was built 20 km to the south in the 1830s, but the settlement was relocated after a flood to its present site in the 1860s. The European explorers John Oxley (in 1818) and Allan Cunningham (in 1827) passed through the area. John Clarke, an escaped convict from the Hunter region, had settled with the local Aboriginal people by 1826. The first farm in the district was established by 1835. The name of the village comes from the Gamilaraay word bagaaybaraay, meaning "having creeks", possibly referring to the nearby Namoi River. Wheat, wool, and cotton are farmed in the district, and there are large reserves of coal nearby. Boggabri is in the Narrabri Shire Local Government Area.
Visitor information centre
- 1 Narrabri Region Visitor Information Centre, 103 Tibbereena Street, Narrabri (diagonally opposite the Shell service station), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa Su 9AM-2PM.
Boggabri is on the Kamilaroi Highway/B51, 39 km north-west of Gunnedah and 58 km south-east from Narrabri. The Oxley Highway/B56 heads east from Gunnedah to Tamworth (115 km from Boggabri, 77 km from Gunnedah).
Driver rest areas
- 2 Anzac Park, Wee Waa Street/Kamileroi Highway (opposite McKechnies Garage). Toilets with disabled facilities, open 24 hours. Picnic tables. Shelter. Litter bins.
- 3 Gins Leap (6 km north of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway). Light vehicle access. Picnic tables. Wheelchair access. Shelter. Litter bins. No toilets.
- 4 Greenwood Grange (42 km south-east of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway, 9.2 km north-west of Gunnedah). Light vehicle access. Heavy vehicle access. Wheelchair access. Shelter. Litter bins. No toilets.
Trains run from Sydney to Moree daily (Route 243), departing Central Station in Sydney at 9:30AM, arriving at Werris Creek at 14:57PM, at Gunnedah at 3:15PM, at Boggabri at 4:10PM, at Narrabri at 4:52PM, and arriving at Moree at 6PM.
The train departs Moree daily (Route 244) at 8:05AM, arriving at Narrabri at 8:45AM, at Boggabri at 9:47AM, at Gunnedah at 10:14AM, at Werris Creek at 11:05AM, and arriving at Central Station in Sydney at 4:39PM.
It is possible to change trains at Werris Creek for services to Tamworth and Armidale, however bookings are not available from Werris Creek Railway Station itself, so reservations need to be made long before departure. The service (Route 233) departs Werris Creek daily at 2:57PM, arrives at Tamworth at 3:37PM, and arrives at Armidale at 5:35PM. The service (Route 224) departs Armidale at 8:19AM, arrives at Tamworth at 10:06AM, and arrives at Werris Creek at 11:07AM before continuing on to Sydney.
A timetable and map can be downloaded here. Bookings are essential.
Bookings and railway stations
- , ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- , ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- Central Station, Sydney, Eddy Avenue, Haymarket, ☏ . Long-distance trains depart from The Grand Concourse (Platforms 1-15)
- Werris Creek Railway Station, Single Street, Werris Creek, ☏ . Junction for services to Moree and services to Tamworth and Armidale. No bookings available at the station itself
- Gunnedah Railway Station, Railway Avenue, Gunnedah (behind Gunnedah Toyota), ☏ . M-F 9AM-12:30PM, 1:30-4:30PM.
- 5 Boggabri Railway Station, Oakham Street, Boggabri (opposite the old Railway Hotel (closed)), ☏ . Bookings are not made here - see Boggabri Pharmacy below
- 6 Boggabri Pharmacy, 2/132 Morton Street, Boggabri (diagonally opposite the IGA supermarket), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon.
- Narrabri Railway Station, Bowen Street, Narrabri (Corner Bowen Street and Logan Street - look for grain silos), ☏ . M-F 8-11AM, 2:30-5:30PM.
- Moree Railway Station, Gosport Street, Moree, ☏ . M-F 7AM-11AM. Parking in Gosport Street (cross over Newell Highway to get to the station) or directly behind the station in Morton Street.
- M & G Travel, 66 Balo Street, Moree, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM.
The nearest airports with regularly scheduled flights are at Narrabri (via Link Airways), Gunnedah, and Tamworth.
Private transport is essential, as there is no taxi service or local bus service.
The nearest car rental agencies are in Narrabri, Gunnedah, and Tamworth.
- 1 Dripping Rock (see website for driving instructions, or pick up a map from the Boggabri Museum or from the Tourist Information Centre in Narrabri; four-wheel drive access only). A 50-m-high waterfall and swimming hole in pristine bushland is accessable from the carpark. The waterfall is more impressive after rain.
- 2 Boggabri Arts Shed, 173-175 Merton Street, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon, other times by appintment. Art and exhibitions.
- 3 Boggabri Museum, 25 Brent Street (Corner of Brent Street and Wee Waa Lane.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sa 9AM-12:30PM, other times by appointment. Alternative contact: +61 2 6743 4761
- 4 Gins Leap (6 km north of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway). According to local lore, two young Aboriginal lovers jumped to their deaths from the top of this rocky outcrop while being pursued by the young woman's tribe, as she was promised to one of her elders. There are also graves of local settlers. Picnic facilities and an interpretive sign.
- 5 Nelson's Honey Factory, 66 Lynn Street, ☏ . By appointment only.
- 6 Barbers Pinnacle and Barbers Lagoon, Rangari Road (Manilla Road) (10 km east of Boggabri on the Rangari (Manilla) Road, past the Iron Bridge over the Namoi River). Named after George "The Barber" Clark, an escaped convict and stock thief who lived in the vicinity of the lagoon from 1826-1831. Ask at the Boggabri Museum for the location of the obelisk that marks the general location of George Clark's hut and stockyards. Also ask at the museum regarding fossicking around the lagoon. Barber's Pinnacle is a hill just north of the lagoon.
- 7 Deriah Aboriginal Area, 67 km north of Boggabri (Head north on the Kamilaroi Highway, turn right onto Turrawan Road, cross the Namoi River, go past the Maules Creek Road turn-off, take the next right onto Pikes Lane, turn right onto Kaputar Road, turn right onto Eulah Creek Road, turn right onto Carinya Road), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7AM-7PM. Biruu gaba lookout walking track, Deriah Aboriginal information bay, Wagun picnic area. Toilets. Picnic tables. Barbecue facilities. Trails suitable for mountain bikes. Trails suitable for four-wheel-drive vehicles only. No pets. No smoking.
- Boggabri Heritage Trail. Download a map of the heritage trail here.
- 1 Drovers Campfire, Boggabri Showgrounds (650 m south-east of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway, over the Coxs Creek bridge), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Last weekend in April. Hosted by the local Lions Club, this event welcomes travellers and puts on exhibitions of bush cooking, an antique machinery parade, provides meals and entertainment. Sites for camping, motorhomes, and caravans. As of Feb 2021 this event has been postponed due to Covid-19 precautions.
- 2 Boggabri Golf Club (1.7 km south-east of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway, over the Coxs Creek bridge, past the Showgrounds on the right), ☏ . Last weekend in April.
- 1 Boggabri IGA Xpress Plus Liquor, 145-147 Merton Street (diagonally opposite the Commercial Hotel), ☏ . daily 7AM-7:30PM. Supermarket, liquor.
- 2 Boggabri Meats, 165 Merton Street (next to Boggabri Hardware and Rural Supplies), ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-5PM. Butchers
- 3 Boggabri Pharmacy, 2/132 Morton Street, Boggabri (diagonally opposite the IGA supermarket), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon.
- 4 Thomsons Newsagency, 144 Merton Street, ☏ . Newsagency
- 1 The Bluebird Cafe, 132 Merton Street, ☏ . M-F 4:30AM-2PM. cafe fare
- 2 Vault Restaurant and Accommodation, 135 Merton Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Reservations required
- 3 Royal Hotel, 96 Brent Street (Corner of Brent Street and Rees Avenue), ☏ . Pub fare
- 4 Commercial Hotel, 160 Merton Street, ☏ . Pub fare
- 5 Boggabri RSL Memorial Club, 77-79 Laidlaw Street (opposite the post office and the Royal Hotel), ☏ . Tu-Su noon-2PM, 5:30-8PM. Restaurant fare, takeways. See the takeaway menu here.
- 6 Grab and Go, 130 Wee Waa Street (Kamilaroi Highway), ☏ . bakery, takeaways
- 7 Gillwest (BP Service Station), 11 Grantham Street, ☏ . Takeaways.
- 1 Royal Hotel, 96 Brent Street (corner of Brent Street and Rees Avenue), ☏ .
- 2 Commercial Hotel, 160 Merton Street, ☏ .
- 3 Boggabri RSL Memorial Club, 77-79 Laidlaw Street (Opposite the post office and the Royal Hotel), ☏ . Su-M 11AM-9PM, Tu-Sa 10AM-10PM.
- 1 Royal Hotel, 96 Brent Street (corner of Brent Street and Rees Avenue), ☏ . Phone for rates and availability
- 2 Commercial Hotel, 160 Merton Street, ☏ . Phone for rates and availability
- 3 Vault Restaurant and Accommodation, 135 Merton Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Phone for rates and availability
- 4 Boggabri Nestle Inn, 54 Merton Street (corner of Merton Street and Grantham Street), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Three stars. Phone for rates and availability
- 5 Boggabri Caravan Park, 37 Laidlaw Street (corner Laidlaw Street and Clare Street), ☏ . Phone for rates and availability. After hours: +61 427 101 142 Linen not provided.
- 6 Boggabri Showground (1 km south-east of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway), ☏ . See website for facilities. Phone for availability. See website for rates.
- 7 Police Station, 97 Brent Street (next to court house, opposite Royal Hotel), ☏ . not open 24 hours.
- 8 John Prior Multipurpose Service Hospital, 1 Wee Waa Street, ☏ . Emergency entrance in Oakham Street
Fuel and mechanical
- 9 Gillwest (BP Truckstop), 11 Grantham Street, ☏ . Truckstop. Takeaways.
- 10 McKechnie's Garage, 88 Wee Waa Street (Kamilaroi Highway) (opposite Anzac Park), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 11 Ross Mechanical Services, 11 Grantham Street (1.5 km south-east of Boggabri on the Kamilaroi Highway on the left, southeast of the Boggabri Showground and northwest of the Boggabri Golf Club), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12 Public phone, corner of Merton Street and Brent Street (next to war memorial).
- 13 Public toilet, Anzac Park, Wee Waa Street/Kamileroi Highway (opposite McKechnies Garage). Disabled facilities. Open 24 hours
- 14 Public toilet, Vickery Park, Merton Street (next to court hourse). Disabled facilities. Sharps disposal. Open 24 hours
- 15 Public toilet, Jubilee Oval, Rees Avenue (corner of Rees Avenue and Hull Street). Variable hours (sporting events). No disabled facilities.
Banks and ATMs
There are no banks in Boggabri. The nearest banks are in Gunnedah and Narrabri. It is advisable to obtain cash before departing for Boggabri, and to use EFTPOS wherever possible once there.
- 16 Gillwest (BP Truckstop), 11 Grantham Street.
- 17 Australia Post Licenced Post Office, 2a Rees Avenue (corner of Rees Avenue and Laidlaw Street, opposite the RSL and the Royal Hotel), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM.
- Baan Baa: north of Boggabri - 20 km via Kamilaroi Highway (20 min)
- Narrabri: north of Boggabri - 58 km via Baan Baa, Kamilaroi Highway (42 min)
- Moree: north of Boggabri - 156 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Narrabri, Newell Highway (1 hr 56 min)
- Barraba: north-east of Boggabri - 120 km (mostly unsealed) via Rangari Road, Manilla, turn left onto Fossickers Way/B95 (1hr 24 min); 91 km (mostly unsealed) via Rangari Road, turn left onto Kelvin Road, turn left at Fossickers Way/B95 (1 hr 14 min)
- Manilla: east of Boggabri - 76 km via Rangari Road (unsealed road) (56 min); 160 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Gunnedah, Oxley Highway, Tamworth, Fossickers Way (sealed road) (2 hr)
- Gunnedah: south-east of Boggabri - 39 km via Kamilaroi Highway (29 min)
- Tamworth: south-east of Boggabri - 115 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Gunnedah, Oxley Highway (1 hr 34 min)
- Quirindi: south-east of Boggabri - 121 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Gunnedah, Kamilaroi Highway, turn left at Loder Street (1 hr 19 min)
- Willow Tree: south-east of Boggabri - 136 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Gunnedah, Kamilaroy Highway, turn right at Loder Street at Quirindi, turn right at New England Highway (1 hr 37 min)
- Coonabarabran: southwest of Boggabri - 119 km via Grain Valley Road (partly unsealed), turn right onto Oxley Highway/A56 through Mulalley, continue straight ahead on Newell Highway/A39 (1 hr 18 min); 145 km (sealed) via Kamilaroi Highway (south), Gunnedah, Oxley Highway, Mulalley (1 hr 38 min)
- Wee Waa: north-west of Boggabri - 99 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Baan Baa, Narrabri, Kamilaroi Highway (1 hr 9 min)
- Burren Junction: north-west of Boggabri - 149 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Baan Baa, Narrabri, Kamilaroi Highway, Wee Waa (1 hr 43 min)
- Walgett: north-west of Boggabri - 242 km via Kamilaroi Highway, Baan Baa, Narrabri, Kamilaroi Highway, Wee Waa, Burren Junction, turn left onto Castlereagh Highway (2 hr 43 min)