The name "Ota" is a combination of Omori and Kamata, two former wards which merged to form Ota Ward. Omori and Kamata remain the major urban centers in the ward.
The Keikyu Airport Line offers a quick connection from Haneda to Keikyu Kamata, with onward connections available to central Tokyo and Yokohama. The train stops running between 00:20 and 05:30, but taxis are still available.
The main train stations in Ota are Omori (JR Keihin-Tohoku) Kamata (JR Keihin-Tohoku, Tokyu Ikegami and Tokyu Tamagawa lines) and Keikyu Kamata (Keikyu Main Line and Keikyu Airport Line).
The eastern, predominantly industrial side of the ward is served by the Tokyo Monorail, which runs from Haneda Airport to Hamamatsucho Station in Minato Ward.
- 1 Tamagawadai tumulus (多摩川台古墳群, Tamagawadai Kofungun) (In Tamagawadai park). Zenpō-Kōenfun tumulus (前方後円墳) built during the 4th and 5th centuries, many tumulus can be seen throughout several parks around Tamagawa station. A free small museum shows replicas of swords and other objects found in the graves, get the free English pamphlet before going around the tumulus, as you might miss them: they just look like small hills. Free.
- 2 Ikegami Honmon-ji (池上本門寺). A large temple with a five-story pagoda. It hosts a lantern festival called O-Eshiki every year from 11 to 13 October. Free.
- 3 Jonanjima Seaside Park (城南島海浜公園), ☏ . Reservations requested by phone, can BBQ, and camping. 1 day adults ¥900.
- 1 Tamagawa River. It stretches from Haneda Airport to Kawasaki city and beyond. A great place for a jog or a bicycle ride with the locals. Best time to see it is in spring when all the cherry trees are in bloom. Free.
- Granduo Kamata. Inside JR Kamata Station and split into East and West buildings, Granduo is a typical department store that has some good and reasonably priced restaurants and take-home food on the top and basement floors.
- Don Quijote (Located right outside the West Exit of JR Kamata Station). A 24-hour discount store that sells everything from grocery items to clothing, bicycles, electronics, jewelry, and gag gifts.
- Tsutaya (Located inside JR Kamata Station). Tsutaya is a major video and music rental store located right inside JR Kamata Station.
Labeled a "widely known secret", Kamata has transformed itself into an entertainment hub with a ton of drinking establishments clustered around JR Kamata station.
- Select Bar, 5-45-1 YM Building 1F, Kamata (East exit of Kamata station, head south and turn right at third crossing. Second building to the left), ☏ . Opens at 17:00 daily, closed on Sundays and public holidays. One of the most popular 'standing bars' and frequented by Japanese and foreigners alike. All drinks and food is priced ¥300. They serve great meatloaf which fits well with a couple of beers.
Apart from Kamata, you'll mostly find small bars serving the locals, those having a few beers before going home. If you're looking for a wild night out, then you're in the wrong neighborhood. However, there is a good atmosphere and prices are reasonable.
- Shot Bar St. Elmo's, 2-3-4 2F, Sanno, Ota (West side of Omori station, across the street and 100 m left. On second floor), ☏ . M-Sa 18:00-03:00. A low-key bar in Omori serving excellent drinks, free traditional bar snacks are usually served
The main reason to stay in Ota is if you have an early flight out from Haneda Airport.
- First Cabin Haneda Terminal 1, Haneda Airport Terminal 1, 1F. A slightly upscale "cabin" hotel with both "business" (a bed and nothing more) and "first class" (a tiny bit of space next to your bed) sections. In true capsule hotel style, there's only a curtain instead of a door, and showers/baths are shared. Separate male and female sections. Free shuttle buses to other terminals. ¥800/1000 hourly in business/first during the day, overnight stays only from ¥5000/6000 between 19:00 and 10:00.
- 1 328 Hostel & Lounge, 3-2-8, Haneda, ☏ . Check-in: 18:00, check-out: 10:00. This hostel contains dormitory rooms with bunk beds. Single travelers share a room with other people of the same gender, while two travelers can use a private dorm room. From Haneda Airport, take a Keikyu train marked as a local (普通) or Airport Express (エアポート急行) to Anamori-Inari Station and walk south for about 500 meters. ¥3,280 single, ¥7,600 double.
- Urbain Tokyo Haneda Kamata, 7-25-10, Nishi-Kamata Ota-ku (two minutes on foot from Keikyu Kamata Station (turn left at the West Exit, then turn right at the line of taxis and head down the part of the road that the 7-Eleven is on; it's on the right side of the street), ten minutes from Haneda airport), ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 11:00. standard rate is ¥8000 for a single room, however, booking through Rakuten Travel brings down the rate to ¥6000.
- 2 Hotel JAL City Haneda Tokyo, 4-11 Hanedaasahicho, Ōta, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The closest reasonable hotel to Haneda Airport, overlooking the maintenance facilities on the west side of the airfield. Walking distance to Keikyu Anamoriinari train station, regular free shuttle bus to the airport. From ¥12,000 single, ¥15,000 double.
- Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu, inside Terminal 2 at Haneda Airport. Single rooms start around ¥20,000.
- [dead link] Apa Hotel Keikyu Kamata-Ekimae (formerly Ohfu Hotel Tokyo), 4-18-24 Kamata Ota-ku (two minutes on foot from Keikyu Kamata Station (West Exit), ten minutes from Haneda airport), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. 95 rooms From ¥12,000 single, ¥18,000 yen double.
- [formerly dead link] Royal Park Hotel The Haneda. Opened 2014 in Haneda Airport's International Terminal. Convenient for transfers, early starts and late arrivals, but rooms are small, so not the best option of stays of over one night. Some rooms are accessible directly from transit, without clearing immigration. From ¥12,500/l single, ¥15,500 double.
|Routes through Ota|
|Yokohama ← Kawasaki ←||W E||→ Tokyo/Shinagawa → Shinbashi → Ueno|
|END ←||W E||→ Gotanda → Shinbashi → Nihonbashi|
|Yokosuka ← Yokohama ←||W E||→ Shinagawa → Sengakuji|
|Yokohama ← Musashi Kosugi ←||W E||→ Naka Meguro → Jiyūgaoka → Shibuya|
|END ←||W E||→ Gotanda|