- This article is about the prefecture of Japan. For the 23 special wards that foreigners (and many Japanese) think of as the "city of Tokyo", see Tokyo.
Equal in status to the other 46 prefectures, the whole of Tokyo Metropolis is designated the capital of Japan. However, when people think of "Tokyo", they're generally thinking of:
The following are all suburban cities outside the city core, which are collectively known as the Tama Region (多摩地域 Tama-chiiki) in Japanese.
- 2 Chofu — home to Jindaiji Temple and the Jindai Botanical Gardens
- 3 Fuchu — Many shrines, temples, historical sites, and relics. Ōkunitama shrine, Tama. river, Mt. Sengen, Tokyo horse race course, Suntory Brewery's Musashino plant, Wholesale market, Fuchu city museum park.
- 4 Hachioji — offering Mt. Takao, one of best little escapes from Tokyo
- 5 Inagi
- 6 Kodaira
- 7 Koganei — Koganei Park, Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum
- 8 Komae
- 9 Kunitachi
- 10 Machida — a bustling youthful shopping town and quiet greenbelt park.
- 11 Mitaka — home of famed animator Hayao Miyazaki's "Mitaka Ghibli Forest Museum"
- 12 Musashino — including Kichijoji, an arty suburb known for the cherry blossoms of Inokashira Park
- 13 Nishitokyo
- 14 Kokubunji
- 15 Tachikawa
- 16 Tama — the self-proclaimed "Home of Hello Kitty" and her theme park, Sanrio Puroland
Other destinations[edit source]
Tokyo prefecture also includes a large number of small islands, some over 1,000 km from the mainland.
- Izu Islands — a quick getaway from Tokyo, featuring volcanic hot springs and wild dolphins
- Ogasawara Islands — if you really want to get away from it all (and have time to spare)
Get in[edit source]
Tama region[edit source]
- JR Chuo Line from Shinjuku or Tokyo to most places in the Tama region including: Kichijoji, Kokubunji, Tachikawa, Hachioji, and Okutama.
- Private Keio line to Southern Tama region to: Chofu, Fuchu, Tama zoo park, Hachioji, and Mt.Takao.
- From Shinjuku Station and Yoyogi-Uehara Station on the Odakyu Line, go to Machida.
By plane[edit source]
- All Nippon Airways (ANA). Daily flights from Haneda Airport to Oshima (35 min ¥13,170), Miyakejima (45 min ¥13,170) and Hachijojima (50 min ¥19,870).
- New Central AirService. Three flights a day from Chofu Airport to Oshima (35 min ¥9500) , Kozushima (45 min ¥15,870), four flights a day to Niijima (40 min ¥13,700). To get Chofu Airport, take the Keio line Local Service from Shinjuku to Nishi-Chofu.
By Boat[edit source]
- Tokyo - Yokohama - Oshima - Toshima - Niijima - Shikinejima - Kozushima
- Tokyo - Yokohama - Miyakejima - Mikurashima - Hachijojima
- Atami - Oshima - Toshima - Niijima - Shikinejima - Kozushima
Get around[edit source]
The Michelin Guide gave more stars to Tokyo dining establishments than any other city in Japan.
Go next[edit source]