It 2011, it had a population of about 80,000 people. About a quarter of the population lives in the urban area.
In 1809, the British general Arthur Wellesley (later the Duke of Wellington and Marquess of Torres Vedras) began the construction of the "Lines of Torres Vedras". This fortified system, which included 152 forts and 628 redoubts, included the Fort of São Vicente, in Torres Vedras. The fort only saw battle after the French were removed from Portugal, during revolutionary warfare in 1846. Over 10,000 troops were involved in the bloody Battle of Torres Vedra on 23 December 1846. The deaths of 400 men and 500 wounded.
Torres Vedras is about 40 km north of the capital, Lisbon, in the Oeste region.
- 1 Comboios de Portugal ( CP), Rua Dr. Gomes Leal at Avenida 5 de Outubro, ☏ . PDF timetable. CP's Linha do Oeste (western line) provides access from Lisbon, Caldas da Rainha, Leiria, Coimbra, and points in between.
- 2 Barraqueiro Oeste (Barraqueiro Transportes), ☏ . Timetables. Barraqueiro Oeste provides regional bus connections, including from Lisbon.
- 1 Castelo de Torres Vedras (Torres Vedras Castle). Sep–May: Tu–Su 10:00–18:00; Jun–Aug: Tu–Su 10:00–19:00; closed M, 1 Jan, Su & Tu of Carnaval, Easter Su, 1 May, Dec 24 & 25.
- 2 Linhas de Torres Vedras (Lines of Torres Vedras). Defensive fortifications built during the third Napoleonic invasion (1810).
- 3 Leonel Trindade Municipal Museum, Praça 25 de Abril, ☏ . Tu-Su 10:00-13:00, 14:00-18:00. An archaeological and historical museum in a former convent (Convento da Graça) on the southern edge of the city centre. In addition to an extensive archaeological section dating back to late Palaeolithic times, the museum contains works of art from local churches and an exhibition relating to the Lines of Torres Vedras. Much of the archaeological collection comes from the Chalcolithic, fortified settlement known as the Castro of Zambujal (3rd millennium BC) and from the Tholos do Barro, a Chalcolithic tomb, both of which are in the municipality. Adult €2, senior or student €1.
- 1 Restaurante O Barracão, Largo Fernando Vicente 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M Tu Th–Sa 12:00–14:30 & 18:30–22:00, Su 18:30–22:00, W closed. Portuguese meat and fish dishes.
- 1 Stay Hotel Torres Vedras Centro, Praça 25 de Abril 17, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Centrally-located four-star, 47-room hotel. €45–€81.
- Caldas da Rainha – Charming, unassuming city to experience authentic daily Portuguese life.