Triberg Im Schwarzwald is a small quiet German town located in Baden-Württemberg, in the heart of the Black Forest and is an enjoyable vacation spot. This city is popular for both its waterfall and its cuckoo clocks.
From Freiburg, take the B31 to the B500 which takes you all the way to Triberg.
By train, you can take the Karlsruhe-Kreuzlingen RE ("Schwarzwaldbahn"), which also passes through Offenburg which is convinient if you are coming from Strassbourg or Freiburg im Breisgau. The trip is about 40 minutes to Offenburg. From the train station to the city centre you can walk (~2 km) or take a bus.
Walk or take a bus (not very frequent). There are several hiking trails around the waterfall.
- Waterfall (Wasserfall). Largest waterfall in Germany outside of the Alps (163 m). Quite steep paths, there is a small entry fee. There are a lot of squirrels around, you may feed them (they sell food there).
- The World's Largest Cuckoo Clock. This is located in nearby Schonach.
- The House of 1000 Clocks. A clock shop featuring many different types of clocks including cuckoo clocks in many varieties.
- 1 Triberger Galgen (Triberger Galgen). erected in the late 16th century. The present stone gallows replaced its wooden predecessors in 1721.
Enjoy the waterfall and forest scenery. There are several rest stops along the B500 to enjoy as well.
There's a high ropes course near the waterfall with 5 difficulty levels. €11 per hour.
There is a also small cinema in the town ("Kronenlichtspiele").
For hiking and winter sports options, go to one of the other villages around.
Black Forest Cuckoo Clocks -- Being in the heart of the Black Forest, Triberg is an excellent place to purchase a Black Forest Cuckoo Clock. There are many shops in Triberg; some of which claim to hand-make the clocks in smaller quantities in order to preserve the tradition of Black Forest clock making. These shops can also typically accommodate the production of custom works.
A cuckoo clock from the house of 1000 clocks, which are made in a factory of Schönwald, just 2km from Triberg.
Black Forest Cake -- At the Adler Cafe, this cake has two layers of chocolate (dark) cake with a cherry and liquor center surrounded by whipped cream and cherries on top with shaved dark chocolate.
There is a market square, though small, with several restaurants.
- Adler Hotel. reasonably priced.
- Holiday Inn. a quite expensive, but you get the standard Holiday Inn treatment.
There are several small villages located around Triberg with very nice views from them.
- Schonach - 2 km from Triberg--World's Largest Cuckoo clock, clock making, and nature trails.
- Schönwald - 2 km from Triberg--Golfing during the summer and skiing during the winter.
- Furtwangen - Brend Observation Tower (1150 m).
- St. Georgen - Swimming pool and lake.