Its central location between a plain and a mountain has made it commercially and strategically significant and has had a great impact on its growth. In the past, Tulkarm was a caravan station and a trading center for products from the city's surrounding villages and farms, as well as a point from which armies crossed to Egypt and the Levant (al-Sham).
It has an adjoining refugee camp, and is surrounded by Israeli settlements.
- 1 Tulkarm Archaeological Museum, Paris Street (in front of the town hall). Housed in an Ottoman Post and Telegraph building from 1908, it has many artifacts from the Roman period onward.
- There is a historical Greek Orthodox church, established in 1830, in the city center.
- Mega Land (ميجا لاند), an amusement park.