Surrounded by the Kaibab forest and just 2 miles (3.2 km) south of the Grand Canyon, Tusayan is a tourist-oriented town providing easy lodging, camping and dining for visitors.
- 1 Grand Canyon Chamber Visitor Center, 469 AZ Hwy 64, Grand Canyon Village (east side of AZ 64), ☏ . 7AM-6PM, daily.
- 2 Grand Canyon Visitor Center, 450 AZ Hwy 64, Grand Canyon Village (west side of AZ 64), ☏ . 9AM-8PM.
Travelers would arrive on Arizona State Route 64 (AZ 64) passes through the center of town. North of town through the South Entrance is the Grand Canyon. AZ 64 continues east through the park to the East Entrance and on to Cameron and Arizona State Route 89 (AZ 89), which runs between Flagstaff and Page. South of town is Grand Canyon Junction, where AZ 64 continues south to Williams and ends at Interstate 40. For travelers to/from Flagstaff, a more direct route is US 180 northwest from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Junction, then north on AZ 64 to Tusayan.
- 1 Grand Canyon National Park Airport (GCN IATA). It is primarily used by companies who provide Grand Canyon air tours and private aircraft. Grand Canyon Airlines flights from Boulder City, Nevada
Many Grand Canyon visitors fly into one of two major metropolitan airports within half a day's drive of the South Rim:
- Las Vegas Harry Reid International Airport (LAS IATA) – 275 miles (440 km) west then north from the South Rim.
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX IATA) – 230 miles (370 km) south from the South Rim.
The National Park Service provides a shuttle bus service that connects the town and the park. The ride is free. Buses run from before sunrise to after sunset, on four routes: two routes run year-round and two run seasonally. There are several bus stop locations in town, including a park-and-ride on the north end of town.
- 1 Grand Canyon IMAX Theater, 450 AZ Hwy 64, Grand Canyon Village, ☏ . 9AM-8PM. Visitors to the South Rim can go to the National Geographic IMAX theatre to see half hour presentation of Grand Canyon, the Hidden Secrets. Showtimes are every hour on the half hour. adults: $13.59; youths: $10.33; senior & military: $12.50.
- 1 We Cook Pizza and Pasta, 605 N AZ Hwy 64, Tusayan, ☏ , email@example.com. open 11AM daily.
- Big E Steakhouse and Saloon, 395 AZ Hwy 64, Grand Canyon Village, ☏ .
- 1 Best Western Squire Inn, 74 AZ Hyw 64, Grand Canyon Village, toll-free: . The only resort-style property in the area.
- 2 The Grand Hotel, 149 AZ Hyw 64, Grand Canyon Village, toll-free: . A relatively new hotel with the lobby done up in a kitschy Wild West theme. Rooms are nondescript but adequate. Indoor pool, free wi-fi in lobby. Popular, so book ahead.
- 3 Holiday Inn Express, 226 AZ Hwy 64, Grand Canyon Village, toll-free: . 164 guest rooms, 30 one- & two-bedroom mini-suites, an indoor pool and a spa.
- 4 Red Feather Lodge, 106 AZ Hwy 64, toll-free: . An affordable, pet-friendly Arizona hotel convenient to Grand Canyon National Park Airport.
- 5 Grand Canyon Plaza Hotel, 406 Canyon Plaza Lane, ☏ .
- 1 Ten-X Campground, AZ Hwy 64, ☏ . Check-in: 2-10PM, check-out: noon. Open April-September. It is two miles south of Tusayan. This campground is operated by the forest service, with 70 single-unit campsites and two group sites. Facilities include water and pit toilets. All sites are first-come, first-served. $10/night.
- 2 Grand Canyon Camper Village, 549 Camper Village Lane, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM.
- Grand Canyon National Park. Unless you have relatives in town you're here to see the Grand Canyon, located just north of town.
|Routes through Tusayan|
|Cameron ← Grand Canyon ←||N S||→ Jct E at Valle (Grand Canyon Junction) → Ends at E W at Williams|