Ask your hotel to arrange a taxi, or if you pick up a taxi on the street, make sure it’s licensed. S/50-S/60.
By taxi, it is about 45 min from Cusco airport.
Get a colectivo from the taxi terminal on Pavitos Street from early morning to 18:30. 1 hour, S/7 per person. Colectivos leave when they have four passengers. Safer, quicker and more comfortable than the bus.
The city of Cusco has poor signage, congestion and no real rules of the road in operation. Get out of Cusco as quickly as possible, then enjoy the beauty of the region. Hertz, Avis, and Budget have agencies in Cusco.
From the bus terminal on Grau Street. 1½-2 hours. Buses leave every 15 minutes from dawn until 18:30. S/3.50.
- [dead link]Chichubamba. The community of Chichubamba offers a unique glimpse into the traditional ways of Andean life that have been carried on since before the Incan Empire. The agrotour in Chichubamba is a collaborative effort between the people of Chichubamba and ProPeru, a local NGO. This project supports sustainable social and economic development in Chichubamba. ProPeru has worked extensively with community members in the planning and execution of the tour.
- 1 Plaza de Armas, Jirón Palacio and Jirón Grau. Centrally located plaza.
Perfect place for starting a journey to the Southern Andes.
Urubamba has an ordinary, non-touristy fruit and vegetable market that's good.
Textiles and articrafts
Anywhere! The restaurants around town cater to locals, and are often menu places, meaning they have a set option, arroz con pollo or lomo saltado usually with sopa as a starter, all for a reduced rate usually S/3-5. If you are craving American style fair, try The Muse, right off the main plaza. Try their camote chips, superburger, and brownie with icecream.
- El Huacatay, 620 Girón Arica, ☎ . You'll feel like you're a guest in the owner's home. Mains US$8–11.
At the project Niños del Arco Iris, is a possibility to stay and sleep in the casa´s that are there for people who are interested in the project.
Niños del Arco Iris is a project, founded by a Dutch woman that gave up everything in Holland to look after the poorest children in Urubamba and surroundings. She has 17 children living with her and another 120 children that come to the project for food, a shower and education.
Also 80 young adults get education every day. There's also a doctor and a dentist where the poorest people in the valley can go to.
- Aranwa Sacred Valley (A member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts), Antigua Hacienda Yaravilca, ☎ . The hotel is located in an 18th -century hacienda and features an onsite art gallery. Included on the 2010 Conde Nast Hot List for exceptional hotel, service, and spa. US$175-350.
- 1 Las Chullpas Eco Lodge (Peaceful stay in the sacred valley), Querocancha S/N, Urubamba (http://www.chullpas.pe/location/), ☎ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 11:00. Great place to enjoy in quietness all the great surroundings in the Sacred Valley. US$40-80.