User talk:(WT-en) SanpeteCounty
Welcome to Wikivoyage. Thanks for plunging forward so far. If you're going to continue working on Wikivoyage, you may find the tips for new contributors helpful. You should also make sure you understand our copyleft and policies and guidelines. Scanning the Manual of style, especially the article templates, can give you a good idea of how we like articles formatted. If you need help, check out Project:Help and Project:Jargon, and if you need some info not on there, post a message in the travellers' pub or on the talk page for the most appropriate article.
Thank you for your enthusiasm in contributing; however, you may want to read Project:What is an article and Project:Article templates - Maple Canyon may not be a valid article topic unless it is either a park with camping or other lodging like Yellowstone National Park, or if it is a region like Lake Tahoe. If it does not meet either of those two criteria then the information from the article should either be merged into the containing region article (for example Central Utah), or if there is a town near the canyon then article should be merged into that town's article. In addition, Image:Brian Schenck.JPG may not be used without a model release (see Project:Image policy) and if Snowkiting is to be kept then it should probably be made into a travel topic such as Scuba diving. Your contributions are much appreciated, we'd just like to find some way to use them while still following our guidelines. If you have any questions, feel free to discuss on Talk:Maple Canyon or on my talk page. -- (WT-en) Ryan 20:03, 16 March 2006 (EST)
Hello again - you've uploaded a lot of great images, but a few (notably Image:Yuba Map.PNG and Image:Maple Canyon Map.JPG) look like they came from other sources. Can you note the source of each image on its page (view the image and click "Edit") so that we can verify that they all conform with the Project:Image policy? All images must either be in the public domain or else released under a CC-SA license, so if you are the photographer simply add a line such as "Taken by (WT-en) SanpeteCounty" or else state where the image came from and why it is OK to user it here. For reference, here is a list of images that you've uploaded:
- Image:Heritage Hwy 89.JPG
- Image:Mt Pleasant.JPG
- Image:Columbian Mamoth.JPG
- Image:Yuba North Beach.jpg
- Image:Yuba Map.PNG
- Image:Yuba Campsite.jpg
- Image:Palisade Gorge Shot.jpg
- Image:Palisade Golf Course.jpg
- Image:Manti Temple.JPG
- Image:Snowkite Launch Site.PNG
- Image:Brian Schenck.JPG - recommended for deletion due to the lack of a model release.
- Image:Box Canyon.JPG
- Image:Maple Canyon.JPG
- Image:Climb This!.JPG
- Image:Maple Canyon Map.JPG
- So it looks like a lot of the images may have come from sources other than you, and since they aren't licensed under a CC-SA license or released to the public domain they unfortunately violate copyright rules and we can't use them here (see Project:Image policy for more details). If you are the photographer of any of these images please note as much so that we can keep those images, and the remainder will be put on Project:Votes for deletion and most likely removed after 14 days. Sorry for having to remove so much of your work, but copyright issues are a big deal and one that trips up many new contributors. Hopefully this won't stop you from contributing! -- (WT-en) Ryan 17:12, 17 March 2006 (EST)
- Since you indicated that you are the director of Sanpete County Travel and are giving permission for use on the site (which I am assuming means you agree to license the images under the CC-SA license) I've update the attribution on all "Sanpete County" images. The images that were marked as (for example) "Photo propery of Richard Olsen" or "Photo property of Palisades State Park" have been marked for deletion since it isn't clear that they can be used under the CC-SA license. If you have the rights to those photos please let us know so that we can keep them. Again, thanks for contributing, and sorry to have to get all bogged down in licensing details! -- (WT-en) Ryan 04:45, 23 March 2006 (EST)
It's okay for you to add copyright info to the images, but deleting the VFD notice does not cancel the vote. Please go to Project:Votes for deletion, find one of the votes for deletion for your images, and then explain there why the image doesn't need to be deleted.
Also, you appear to have labeled a bunch of the images/maps. I don't know what "Taken by Palidase State Park" is supposed to mean since State Parks are not people and cannot possibly take pictures. Additionally, making maps is very hard -- most companies license them from map makers and do not own them, so labeling a map with "Map property of Sanpete County" is a rather surprising claim which could use a bit of explaination about who drew the map. -- (WT-en) Colin 17:31, 17 March 2006 (EST)
Disambiguation and articles
Wow. A lot of work done today. Nice going. Some great pictures. A couple of things to consider:
- With towns like Manti where there is no other towns anywhere with that name (and in most cases where a name hasn't been used yet, like Moroni), there is no need to use the disambiguator, just name the page Manti. For more, see: Project:Article naming conventions.
- See Project:What is an article as it explains what gets an article on Wikivoyage, and what doesn't.
I hope that stuff helps you. I'll try to take a look at some of the naming things tomorrow and see if I can help you clean it up. Keep up the good work and thanks for the great contributions. Let me know if I can help at all. -- (WT-en) OldPine 23:09, 1 October 2007 (EDT)