Get in[edit source]
There is train service by S-Bahn lines every few minutes. S5 and S15 from Zurich mainstation (quick service, taking 15min, both together making 4 connections per hour, from around 5am to 12.30pm) S14 from Zurich HB (over Oerlikon and Wallisellen) and S9 from Zurich HB (over Stettbach, Dübendorf) - from Wetzikon, there is S5/S15 quick service as well as S14, making it 6 connections an hour (S14 continues to Hinwil, while S5 and S15 go on to Rapperswil). For transport from the airport, there is at least one change required. Either take a train from the Airport to Zurich Mainstation and switch there to the S-Bahn to Uster, or, and ticket-wise cheaper, take the Glatttalbahn (Light rail) to Wallisellen and switch to S14 service there. It's not even much slower and safe you Fr. 3.60 on a full ticket. (Connecting over Zurich Mainstation is Fr. 10, over Wallisellen is Fr. 6.40)
Uster is the end point of the highway connecting from the main swiss highway (A1) - it takes around 15min from the Airport to Uster by car, or around Fr. 60-70 by taxi.
There is a boat service on the Greifensee as well, connecting Maur with Uster. The direct "commuter" boat drives all year around if weather permits.
Get around[edit source]
Uster train station is located next to the bus depot. Although there is only one train stop in the city of Uster, the buses are also a part of ZVV network and travel throughout the city. A taxi stand is also located next to the train station, although Swiss taxis are some of the most expensive in the world.
- Uster lies between two lakes. They are called "Greifensee" and "Pfaeffikersee". Greifensee is the bigger one. When the sun is shining the rim of the lake is full of people, above all on bicycles and rollerblades.
- 1 Uster Castle (Schloss Uster), Schlossweg 1, ☎ . July-October Su 14:00-17:00. This medieval castle is today used as a school. Nevertheless it can be visited on Sunday afternoons.
- Play golf
There is a McDonald's next to the train station. Other affordable options are?
- 1 Peking Garden, Bankstrasse 7, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. European Chinese food, good value for money. Over lunch, several menus for as little as Fr. 10 including drinks. Dinner Fr. 15-20..
- 2 Han Mongolian Barbecue, Zentrum Brunnenhof, Industriestrasse 10a, ☎ . Mongolian-style restaurant, you may pick from several meats and add vegetables and sauces which are the freshly prepared for you. Special lunch menus for Fr. 17.50, dinner with all-you-can-eat for Fr. 44.
- 1 Hotel Ochsen, Zentralstrasse 23, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. From Fr. 125/165 for single/double..
Greifensee is a nearby town on the shore of a lake of the same name. The lake is a conservation area and quite untouched.