Rich in culture, Akwa Ibom State is believed to be named after the Qua Iboe river, the longest river in the state. The state is estimated to have about 5 million inhabitants based on a projected growth rate population estimate and it is the richest oil-producing state in Nigeria with an estimate production of 800,000 barrels/day
- The 3rd wealthiest state (based on Gross Domestic Product) in Nigeria with an estimate of US$32 billion generated annually
- Houses the largest Palm forest in Nigeria
- Home of the Amalgamation House, which served as Lord Federick's Lugard's residence during the colonial era
- Known to be place of people with great culinary skills and having varieties of dishes such as Ekpankwukwo, Afang, Edikangikong, Afia efere.
It was created on 23 September 1987 by the then Military Administration of General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida out of Cross River and has the motto: Land of Promise.
- 1 Akwa Ibom International Airport (Victor Attah International Airport; QUO IATA), Okobo. The airport receives flights from Abuja, Calabar, Enugu and Lagos. The airport is designed to handle larger aircraft operations including Boeing 787 and A380 aircraft. The airport was renamed in honour of former Akwa Ibom state governor Obong Victor Attah in November 2018.
- Road transport: The State can be connected through the following public car service: God is Good Motor (GIGM), ABC transport, Peace Mass Transit, Chisco and Rivers Joy.
Transportation: Taxicabs, buses and ferries dominate public transport. They are usually inexpensive and are often used for multi passenger pick ups. Commercial vehicles in Port Harcourt maintain sky blue, white and sky blue livery. Operating without these government-approved colours is punishable with a fine of ₦10,000 or more.
- 1 Godswill Apkabio International Stadium.Ibibio Museum, Udo Udoma Ave, 520102, Uyo, ☏ . 9AM-6PM.
- 1 Akwa Ibom Christmas Carols Festival, Uyo Township Stadium, Uyo, Akwa Ibom Nigeria. Akwa Ibom Christmas Carols Festival is one of the biggest annual events held in Akwa Ibom State which features a host of worshippers and large assembly of carol singers raising voices in worship to God.
- 2 Orange September, Ibom Hall, Uyo, Akwa Ibom, email@example.com. Orange September is an annual festival showcasing the culture of Akwa Ibom State, groups, troupes and floats.
- 1 Onyx Creamery, Onyx creamery, Oron Rd. 8AM - 9PM. Dine-in and takeaway are available. ₦1000-10,000.
- 2 Vista Restaurant, Nwaniba Road (at IBOM Golf Course), ☏ , . Daily 7AM-10PM. An all-day dining restaurant that serves tasty food menus for lunch and dinner buffet. Nigerian and Mediterranean food.
- 1 PhisBond (PhisBond Hotel), 29 Edet Akpan Avenue, 4 Lanes, Ewet Housing. Check-in: noon-midnight, check-out: noon. Featuring a bar, a restaurant serving African cuisine, and free private parking. The units at the hotel feature air conditioning and a desk. The property offers a paid airport shuttle service. ₦11,500.
- Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort (Ibom Resort) (Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort, Nwaniba Road, PMB 1200, 021189, Uyo), ☏ . Check-in: 11AM. $100.