Uzo-Uwani is a local government area located in Enugu State, in South East Nigeria with a population of 124,480 (2006). The area borders Kogi State and Anambra State and its headquarters are in Umulokpa. The local government area consists of several towns and villages among which include Nimbo, Abbi, Ugbenu, Nkpologu, Uvuru, Nrobo, Adani, Akpogu, and Ukpata.
The local government area has a number of rivers and streams as well as several hills in it.
Uzo Uwani is predominantly inhabited by members of the Igbo ethnic group. A different form of Igbo language which is the inhabitant's dialect is commonly spoken in the area and more recently English language too. Christianity is the major religion widely practiced in the area. The postal code of the area is 411.
It has average temperature of 28°C with an average wind speed of 10 km/h (6.2 mph).
Visitors and travellers can get to Uzo-Uwani from other parts of the country by means of road transport via bus, taxi or private vehicles from neighbouring areas such as Nsukka town, Kogi state and Anambra state.
Like most of the urbanized areas or towns in the country, the major means of transportation/movement of people and goods in Uzo Uwani is by road via the aid of buses, taxies, motorcycles and tricycle popular called keke Napep.
There are prominent festivals celebrated in Uzo-uwani area include the Ibone, Iwai, and the New Yam festivals.
The major occupation of the inhabitants of the Uzo Uwani is the cultivation of crops such as yam, cassava, cocoyam, maize, pepper and vegetables because of the fertile nature of the soil. Uzo-uwani area is also notable for activities such as hunting, animal rearing, and palm wine tapping.
Uzo Uwani has a flourishing trade sector and it has a couple of markets as well. Notable markets in this area are: the Eke Akiyi and the Adani rice markets. These markets attracts hundreds of buyers and sellers especially because farming is very a crucial element of the economy of Uzo-Uwani people.
There are a couple of eateries and bars in and close to Uzo Uwani available for visitors to wine and dine in. Some of these eateries include:
- 1 Chitis Restaurant, ugbene ajima, uzo uwani. This eatery located at Ugbene Ajima in Uzo Uwani, offers both dine in and take away services to customers and prospective customers.
- 2 Old Carolina Restaurant And Bar, Old Carolina Hotel,17, Obollo Rd, Nsukka, ☏ . 24 hours. The restaurant located at Nsukka, a town close to Uzo-Uwani offers, dine in, take-away and delivery services.
- 3 Chilling Fresh Restaurant, Ohodo Abba.
- 4 Joy Restaurant and Bar, Odenigbo Market. Fairly expensive
- 5 Calabar Kitchen, Along Police Station Road, ☏ .
There are a couple of hotel accommodation quite close Uzo-Uwani available for visitors. Some of which are:
- Jerry Mariot Hotel; located at Plot45/46 GRA, Nsukka Beside Hillcrest Primary School, 50 Kilometers (km) away from Uzo-Uwani
- Ekulu Apartment; at NO. 36 Mary Emmanuel Street, New GRA Trans-Ekulu, 48 Kilometers (km) from Uzo-Uwani
- Eden Crest Hotel & Resort; at 4, Antrim Lane, GRA Off Abakiliki Road, 51 Kilometers (km) from Uzo-Uwani
- Richmond Hills Suites; sited at Plot 48 Market Garden By Pocket Layout GRA, also 51 Kilometers (km) from Uzo-Uwani