South East Nigeria (Igboland) is a region of Nigeria. It is composed of the following states: Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo.
- 6 Awka — the state capital
- 7 Ihiala
- 8 Nnewi — a major industrial and commercial hub
- 9 Onitsha — a historic port city from the pre-colonial era that is the state's largest city, and is home to the largest market in Africa
- 16 Owerri — the entertainment capital of Nigeria because of its high density of hotels, high street casinos, and production studios
- 17 Orlu — the commercial capital of Imo state
The dominant languages of the region are Igbo and English.
Although most people in the southeast speak English, it is best learning a few words and phrases in Igbo, the dominant language here.
South East Nigeria has a well-developed road system that makes travel easy by car. Vehicles can be hired at any one of the cities.
Yams are the cultural food of the Igbos, the people of eastern Nigeria.