Ebonyi State is a state in South East Nigeria. Ebonyi is called "the salt of the nation" for its huge salt deposit at the Okposi and Uburu Salt Lakes. There are also some tourist locations within the state prominent ones include Abakaliki Green Lake, Uburu Salt Lake, Unwana and Ikwo Beaches.
The state's capital city as Abakaliki.
Ebonyi State, during the 2006 population census held in Nigeria recorded a population count of 3½ million making it rank as 29th out of 36 states in the country. The state speaks several Igbo dialects, the most common ones are the Edda, Ehugbo (Afikpo), Izzi, Ezza, Mgbo, Ikwo, Oshiri, Unwara, Akpoha, Okposi, Onicha; and a mixed Igbo and Korring dialects spoken in Amuda-Okpolo, Ntezi-Okpoto, and Effium.
The state is known to be an agricultural hub as they are one of the leading distributors in Nigeria of farm produce like yam, rice, maize, beans amongst others.
- Ebonyi State International Airport (LOS IATA), Abakaliki Afikpo Express Ezza North Local Government Abakaliki Capital City, ☏ . You can fly in from most states in the country into Ebonyi Airport, you sure can fly in from Lagos State, Oyo State, Akure amongst others. The airport is under construction and is expected to commence flights in May 2022.
There are a lot of bus transportation systems that travel into Ebonyi State and sure there are a lot of the transportation systems. Some are:
- God is Good Motors (GIGM): This is one of the popular transportation systems in Nigeria and it is also a way to get in to Ebonyi State, all you need to do is to download the GIGM app on your phone, book a seat and make your payment, then get to the terminal on d pickup date and the bus will pick you up and drop you off at Ebonyi state.
Others also include:
- Agofure Transportation
- GUO Transportation
- Ifesinachi Transport Limited
and many others.
There are different options to get around in Ebonyi State, some of which include, the bus available in the state, there are buses available in the state to ply all areas and all you have to do is to get to the park, ask for where the bus that ply your destination is located, get there and get in, the bus can then move you around.
Another way is 'Motorcycle' popularly called Okada, this is just another way to get around in Ebonyi State and I will advise tourists to use this mode if and only if their destination isn't so far away, Okada will be used for one-way transportation where the motorcycle picks you up and takes you to your desired destination without stopping at any destination to drop off or pick new passengers like a bus.
The Abakaliki Green Lake is inside the Ebonyi State government house. Small huts are built around to enable tourists to relax and admire the beauty of nature. The National Museum in Abakaliki is filled with rich historical artifacts, models, statues, and works of art from various parts of the country. The Abakaliki Greater Rice Husks are piled into heaps, which makes them look like sand dunes in the desert.
Amanchor Cave in Afikpo South is 4 km long.
- The Golden Sand Beaches, Ndibe, Ozizza and Unwana. These venue is a tourists attraction to all tourists to Ebonyi State
- Mkpuma Ekwa Oku Rocks. These are rocks naturally shaped like eggs and they have been in existence for quite a while.
Ebonyi State is known as an agricultural region, as they are known to be the leading producer of:
There also exist a notable basket market in Nigeria located in Ebonyi State. So, really, if you want to buy food stuff or food item of any kind, Ebonyi State got you covered. Abakaliki in Ebonyi State has a prominent market known as Abakpa Main Market. This market is situated at the centre of Abakiliki, the Ebonyi State capital. It has been in existence since the colonial period (before the independence of Nigeria in 1960). As a result it is rated among the oldest markets in the South-East and beyond.