Abakaliki is the capital city of Ebonyi State, one of the southeastern states in Nigeria. The inhabitants are members of the Igbo nation. It lies at the crossways of the Enugu, Afikpo and Ogoja Roads.
This article also covers the town of Onuebonyi Echara, the administrative headquarters of Ikwo Local Government Area, which is about 25 km from Abakaliki. The people of Ikwo are a subgroup of the Igbo race and they speak the Ikwo dialect of the Igbo language.
In 2019 Abakaliki's population was about 915,000, but it is estimated in 2021 to be about 1,180,000. Abakaliki was an important area for the slave trade in the 17th century. This illegitimate trade of able bodied human beings lingered in the Abakaliki with Aro raids into the area and surrounding areas throughout the 18th century.
The name Abakaliki means 'Aba Nkaleke', and is the name of a community in Izzi land (Nkaleke). It was the headquarters of the Ogoja province before the creation of the Southeastern State in 1967. Abakaliki is generally populated by the Igbo people. It is predominantly populated by the Northeastern Igbo of the Afikpo-Abakaliki area. Abakaliki is also usually used to refer to people of old Abakaliki political bloc that make up Ohaukwu-Ishielu-Izzi-Ezza-Ikwo.
- 1 Akanu Ibiam International Airport (ENU IATA, ICAO: DNEN) (Enugu Airport), Enugu. FAAN, on behalf of the Federal Government, operates this airport, which is one of the country's five international airports.
- Ebonyi State International Airport, Abakaliki Afikpo Express, Abakaliki Capital City. Expected to open in May 2022.
Abakaliki is about 64 km away from southeast of Enugu, which is a neighbouring state.
Transportation in and around Abakaliki is basically by road with the aid of a couple notable transport companies located at the area. Some of these transport companies include GUO, a road transport company having a branch location in abakaliki designed to provide travellers with inter-city and interstate transport services, Nsik Motors (AKTC) which gives prompt, reliable, comfortable and affordable road transport services. Peace Mass Transit Limited (PMT) offering safe and reliable road transport service on both intercity and interstate routes at a convenient manner, Tracas Limited, an abbreviation for Transport Company Of Anambra State. However, this transport company has a terminal location in Abakaliki where they provide air conditioned buses that convey passengers to and from the cities and state across the country as well as Young Shall Grow Transport Limited.
Abakaliki has a federal hospital. There has also been enormous infrastructural developments like road construction, shopping malls and market places, and trans-Sahara fly-over bridges.
Also, Ebonyi State University main campus is on the outskirts of the city.
- The Abakaliki Green Lake, Abakaliki. The Abakaliki Green Lake is inside the Ebonyi State government house. Small huts are built around to enable tourists to relax and admire the beauty of nature.
- National Museum, Abakaliki (National Commission For Museums and Monuments), Old Governor’s Lodge, Abakaliki road. M-Sa 8AM–5PM, Su closed. The museum is filled with rich historical artifacts, models, statues, and works of art from various parts of the country. Please do note that cameras, phones, or any recording equipment are not allowed during the museum tour.
- Abakaliki Greater Rice Husks, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State. It is located inside the rice mill industry, During rice production, the rice husks are piled into heaps, which makes them look like sand dunes in the desert.
- 1 Oferekpe Beach, Iwoko LGA, Ebonyi State. 8AM - 7PM. A nice sandy beach for relaxation with friends and family. ₦500.
- Abakaliki Golf Club, Onueke Township Stadium, Abakaliki-Ugep Road. The golf club is equipped with a 9-hole public golf course for games.
As in the past, Abakaliki is a center of agricultural trade of food products such as such as yams, cassava, rice, and both palm oil and palm kernels. The area predominantly has an agrarian economy. Asides agriculture, it is also known for its local lead, zinc, salt, and limestone mining or quarrying as part of its economy.
Abakaliki has a prominent market known as Abakpa Main Market. This market is situated at the centre of Abakiliki, the Ebonyi State capital. It has been in existence since the colonial period (before the independence of Nigeria in 1960). As a result it is rated among the oldest markets in the South-East and beyond.
- Nwakpu Market, Onuebonyi Echara. Nwakpu Market is where you can get all the Agricultural products at a very cheap and affordable price. You can take your trans from Abakaliki to there at just ₦150 in buses and ₦200 in golf cars. It's a very peaceful and cool market where you could buy things with a free mind. They have enough security.
- Achara Market, Eka, Onuebonyi Echara.
There are a couple eateries that offer varieties of dishes available for visitors and travellers at a pocket friendly rate in Abakaliki. They include Crunches Fried Chicken restaurant at Afikpo road, Abakaliki, Vegas Restaurant and Bakery along Ogoja Road, beside MTN Office, Azuiyi Udene, Abakaliki, Mr Bigg's at 4, Water Works/Gunning Road, Azuiyi Udene 480251, Abakaliki, HydeParks Delight Pizza at No 2 Old Market Road, Abakaliki, Choppee Restaurant at 15 Breckenbery Street, Azuiyi Udene, Abakaliki, Food Home and Delicacies at 53 Enugu-Abakaliki Rd, Ntezi Abba.
- Tessy Fast Food and Restaurant, Abakaliki. Restaurant for yummy food of any kind.
- Native Delicacies Restaurant, 66 Ogoja Rd Azuiyi udene Abakaliki, ☏ . 24 hours. Dine in. Take Away. Delivery.
- Tastia Restaurant, Bakery And Cafe, 1 Breakenbury, LGA Abakaliki, ☏ . 7AM-10PM daily. Tastia Restaurant, Bakery and Cafe is a restaurant that serves Local dishes, African dishes, intercontinental dishes, Pastry and Bakery products. They offer both indoor and outdoor/catering.
Abakaliki offers a good and affordable hotel accommodation for visitors. These includes Salt Spring Resort Hotel located at old Enugu Road, Abakaliki about 60 km away from Enugu airport, Osborn La-Palm Royal Resort situated at Osbourne Avenue, Mile 50, Abakaliki, Hotel Geneva Abakaliki at 19 Onwe Road Abakaliki, 62 km away from Akanu Ibiam Enugu airport, Great Aristocrat Suites at 2, Udude Street, Abakaliki among so many other nice and affordable places to lodge.
- Hotel Geneza, Onwe Road, Ntezi Abba, ☏ . A 3-star hotel. ₦7,500.
- Blossom Height Unique Hotel, 16b Goddy Ogbaga Avenue, Ntezi Abba, ☏ .
- Monabliss Hotel, Ntezi Abba, ☏ . A cool hotel which most of the standard facilities. ₦15,000.
- 1 Alex Ikwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Onuebonyi Echara. Alex Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State, Nigeria, formerly Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo (FUNAI) was established by the Federal Government on February 26th, 2011 with the goal of expanding and improving access to quality tertiary education to every part of Nigeria. It however, started academic activities on 5th November, 2012, and was officially renamed by the Federal Government after the late civilian Vice President of Nigeria, Dr. Alex Ekwueme on 2nd February, 2018.
- 2 Ebonyi State College of Education, Ikwo, Onuebonyi Echara.