(Redirected from Valley Forge)
King of Prussia is a small town in the greater Philadelphia region of Pennsylvania. It is northwest of Philadelphia proper. It is located in the township of Upper Merion, PA. The community took its name in the 18th Century from a local tavern named "The King of Prussia Inn", which was named after Fredrick II, King of Prussia. King of Prussia's boundaries are the Schuylkill River to the North and U.S Route 422 to the West.
The Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) provides access to King of Prussia from Philadelphia. The Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76 to the west and I-276 to the east) provides access to King of Prussia via the Valley Forge interchange from points west such as Harrisburg and Pittsburgh and points east such as the northern suburbs of Philadelphia, New Jersey, and New York City. U.S. Route 202 provides access to King of Prussia from West Chester to the south and from Norristown to the north. U.S. Route 422 provides access to King of Prussia from Pottstown, Reading, and other communities along the Schuylkill River to the northwest.
If you are coming from Center City, Philadelphia, get on I-676 (Vine St Expressway), then go I-76 towards Valley Forge. Stay on Valley Forge for about 30 minutes. After proceeding on I-76 get off at the King of Prussia exit. If you want to go to the King of Prussia mall follow the exit signs for Mall Boulevard. If you are coming from the suburbs of Philadelphia, take the Pennsylvania Turnpike towards Harrisburg, then proceed to the Valley Forge exit.
Fly into Philadelphia International Airport, take a taxi or rent a car. The trip from there to King of Prussia takes 30 minutes.
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) provides bus service to King of Prussia. Many of the buses stop at the transit center adjacent to The Plaza at the King of Prussia Mall. There are two routes that connect King of Prussia with Center City Philadelphia. Bus 124 provides service to Center City Philadelphia and to Chesterbrook, with a stop at the King of Prussia Mall transit center. Bus 125 runs from Valley Forge National Historical Park and the King of Prussia directly into the Center City Philadelphia. You can catch it along Gulph Road and at the King of Prussia Mall transit center. You will arrive near the train station at 30th St and Market St; from there, you walk a few feet to the station itself and get on the eastbound subway towards the Old City and other attractions. The base fare for the 124 and 125 buses is $2.00, with an additional $1.50 zone fare for a trip into Philadelphia. The buses run every 20 min during peak hours and every hour off-peak, during the weekdays, and the trip takes around 40 min. While taking a bus may seem inconvenient, you will save time and hassle by not driving into Philadelphia yourself. Relax and let the bus driver fight the traffic. You will save even more time and money since you don't have to find a place to park your car in the city. In the reverse direction, the last bus leaves Philly (again at 30th and Market) at about 10PM, on weekdays. The 124 and 125 buses also run on Saturday and Sunday.
There are several bus routes that connect King of Prussia with nearby suburbs. Bus 92 connects the King of Prussia Mall with West Chester and Exton in Chester County Monday through Saturday. Bus 99 connects the King of Prussia Mall transit center with Norristown and Phoenixville daily. Bus 123 connects the mall with the 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby daily. Bus 139 connects the King of Prussia Mall with Limerick Monday through Saturday. The base fare for all these bus routes is $2.00.
Check the SEPTA website for additional information.
There is not a train station close to the King of Prussia Mall. The nearest train stations are in neighboring Conshohocken, at Washington Street and Harry Street, and Norristown Transportation Center, at Schuylkill Avenue and Dekalb Street. The Manayunk/Norristown Regional Rail Line will take you to the city center from these stations. The train ride takes about 30 min. The weekday fare is $5.50 in advance/$6.00 on board one-way and $10.75 in advance/$12.00 on board round trip. The evening/weekend fare is $4.75 in advance/$6.00 on board one-way and $9.50 in advance or on board round trip. Check SEPTA's website for timetables. The stations has a park-and-ride lot, but spaces may not be available to tourists. SEPTA's Bus 99 provides service from the Norristown Transportation Center to the King of Prussia Mall.
SEPTA's Norristown High Speed Line, which runs between Norristown Transportation Center and 69th Street Terminal, also serves the King of Prussia area, with the Gulph Mills station located at Trinity Lane and Crest Way near Gulph Road southeast of the mall. However, it would be a long and dangerous walk from the mall area. Buses 123, 124, and 125 connect the Gulph Mills station with the King of Prussia Mall.
It is easiest to get around town by car.
- The Revolutionary Shuttle, 1400 North Outer line Dr. Get on and off this free shuttle at any indicated stop during operating hours. Bicycle racks are provided on every shuttle. Shuttles begin running from the Visitor Center and Washington's Headquarter's at 9AM, with the last shuttle leaving at 5:40PM. Shuttle Stops: A. Visitor Center- Lower Parking Lot B. Washington Memorial Chapel C. von Steuben Statue/Varnum's Parking Lot D. Washington's Headquarters. Hours 9AM- 5:40PM frequency: 20 minutes. Operating 7 days a week during the summer. The Trolley Tour and The Revolutionary Shuttle are wheelchair accessible.
- Valley Forge National Historical Park, 1400 N Outer Line Dr. The focal point of Valley Forge attractions is the 3,600-acre Valley Forge National Historical Park. It was here that General George Washington forged his Continental Army into a fighting force, during the difficult winter encampment of 1777-78. Of all places associated with America's War for Independence, none conveys the suffering, sacrifice and ultimate triumph more than Valley Forge. No battles were fought, no bayonet charges or artillery bombardments took place. Nonetheless, some 2,000 soldiers died - more Americans than were killed at the battles of Brandywine and Germantown combined. Valley Forge is the story of an army's epic struggle to survive against terrible odds, hunger, disease and the unrelenting forces of nature. Today, the park is a lush, 3,600-acre expanse of rolling hillsides dotted with flowering dogwood trees. Washington's original stone headquarters has been restored and furnished; log huts have been reconstructed; and statues and monuments throughout the park remind visitors of the American national heritage. Among them are statues of General "Mad Anthony" Wayne and Baron Friedrich von Steuben; and the Monument to Patriots of African Descent. Stop at the Visitors Center at the junction of Rt 23 and N. Gulph Rd. Open daily, it features exhibits, artifacts, a gift shop and an 18-minute film. Rangers will be leading "Following in their footsteps" tours to discuss the life of everyday soldiers. The actual walk is a quarter mile. Walks begin every day at 11:50; 12:50 and 1:50. Please meet at the park theater 10 minute prior. Free. Bus tours available from the weekends in Sep and Oct at 11AM, 1PM and 3PM. Tours also available on Thanksgiving weekend and Dec 27-31. Prices range from $5 (Children under 12) to $10 per person Reservations for bus tours required - call +1 610 783-7503. Valley Forge National Historical Park contains 28 miles of authorized trail that are popular for hiking, biking and horseback riding" Also activities include: running,horseback riding, bird watching, fishing and bicycling throughout the large park. visitors can have a picnic using tables abd benches found throughout the park. Bicycles are available for rent, depending on season. Also, there are Interpretice programs and guided tours, which are usually free and good for all ages.
- Philadelphia Rock Gym, E-520 N. Circle Drive, Oaks, ☎ . Minutes from King of Prussia is the area's first and only full service rock climbing facility, offering introductory classes, teambuilding, outdoor adventures, day passes, group rates and event rentals.
- Theatre Horizon, 243 Crest Way, ☎ .
- Encampment Store at Valley Forge National Historical Park, 1000 N Outer Line Dr (inside the Valley Forge visitors center), ☎ . 9AM-5PM daily (until 6PM daily Jun 11-Aug 14). Take the Valley Forge experience home with you. Shop a wide selection of Revolutionary War books, unique gifts, reproductions, and toys.
- King of Prussia Mall, 160 N Gulph Rd, ☎ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-6PM. The largest mall in the country in terms of leaseable retail floorspace with all the usual American mall shops and includes everything from shoes to jewelry and business suits. There are European stores like Versace. There are two parts to the mall, the Plaza and the Court providing both upmarket, quite ritzy stores as well as middle end stores. The mall caters to many tastes and styles.
- Coppermill Harvest, 480 N. Gulph Rd. (in the Sheraton Park Ridge Hotel), ☎ . Refined contemporary, yet casual, American specialty restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner from an a la carte menu and a buffet breakfast and lunch. Saturday seafood buffet.
- Desi Village. A casual Indian/Pakistani restaurant on Gulph Rd south of Dekalb (near the mall). The food is good and there are vegetarian offerings. $20-$30 for two people.
- Seasons 52, 160 N Gulph Rd Suite 101 (King of Prussia Mall), ☎ . Su-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F-Sa 11:30AM-11PM. Fresh grill and wine bar offering a seasonally-inspired menu and award-winning international wine list.
- Sullivan's Steakhouse, 700 West Dekalb Pike, ☎ . Steaks, seafood, hand-shaken martinis and live music.
- Maggiano's Little Italy, 205 Mall Blvd, ☎ . Italian style cuisine.
- Ruth Chris Steak House, 220 North Gulph Rd, ☎ .
- Stirling's Restaurant at the Crowne Plaza Valley Forge, 260 Mall Blvd (Crowne Plaza Hotel), ☎ . Experience the culinary talents of award-winning chef Mark Spaulding.
- Cafe Soleil at Radisson Hotel Valley Forge, 1160 First Ave, ☎ . Bright and cheery café serving made-to-order eggs and omelets by Chef for breakfast and burgers, sandwiches and wraps for lunch. Enjoy pasta to your liking at popular Pasta Bar.
- Creed's Seafood & Steaks, 499 N. Gulph Rd, ☎ . Chef John Talbot offers a diverse selection of fresh fish, seafood and steaks along with a raw bar menu. Live entertainment Friday and Saturday nights in the bar. Reservations suggested.
- Morton's The Steakhouse, 500 Mall Blvd, ☎ . USDA Prime aged steaks, fresh seafood, hand picked vegetables and home-made desserts served in an elegant, club-like setting. Open for dinner nightly, private Boardroom dining available.
- Ruth's Chris Steak House, 220 N. Gulph Rd, ☎ . Oversized USDA-prime steaks, live lobsters and fresh seafood are accompanied by 10 varieties of potatoes, fresh vegetables and salads with homemade dressings. Reservations encouraged. Private rooms available for groups. Valet parking available.
- The Melting Pot, 150 Allendale Rd, Suite 2100, ☎ . This unique dining experience offers an assortment of fondue, cooked at the table by the guests.
- Blue Pacific Chinese Bistro and Sushi, 160 N. Gulph Rd (The Plaza at King of Prussia), ☎ . Sushi and pan-Asian menu including noodles, tempura, seafood, satay, and sake in a casual dining environment. Affordable prices.
- Peppers Italian Restaurant & Bar, 239 Town Center Rd (Valley Forge Shopping Center), ☎ . Excellent food made to order. Is known for large food and drink portions with good prices. Voted best Italian Restaurant Readers Choice five years in a row. Locally owned and operated.
- Michael's Deli - Restaurant, 130 Town Center Rd (Valley Forge Shopping Center), ☎ . Best of Philly award; Jewish-style deli/restaurant featuring jumbo deli sandwiches and 500 different brands of cold beer.
- Chumley's Steak House, 1160 First Ave - Radisson Valley Forge Hotel, ☎ . Chumley's sports bar, with 10 high-definition televisions, features traditional favorites like burgers and wings, as well as frosty cold beers. Juicy steaks and delicious seafood served in the dining room.
- Blue Grotto Italian Bistro & Bar, 1210 First Ave - Scanticon Hotel & Conference Center, ☎ . Romantic candlelit dining room. Perfect for an escape to the Mediterranean. Ask about The Cove, a popular and romantic table.
- Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery, ☎ . Featuring fresh, handcrafted, moderately priced lunches, dinners, and late night dining. Beer brewed on premises. Banquets and large parties welcome.
- Maggiano's Little Italy, 205 Mall Blvd, ☎ . Often said to be reminiscent of pre-World War II Little Italy, Maggiano's blends the tradition of family, good times with friends, and authentic Italian cuisine.
- Bahama Breeze, 320 Goddard Blvd, ☎ . Caribbean food.
- Bear Rock Cafe, 192 West DeKalb Pike (Valley Forge Shopping Center), ☎ . A unique quick-casual restaurant featuring hand-crafted sandwiches, hot and savory soups, fresh salads, loaded baked potatoes, oven fresh breads and desserts. Take-out and catering services. Free WIFI site.
- Legal Seafoods, ☎ . The Court at King of Prussia Mall. Over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list.
- Cheesecake Factory, ☎ . The Plaza at King of Prussia Mall. Cheesecake and a selection of food from the Thai lettuce wraps for an appetizer to handcrafted burgers.
- California Pizza Kitchen (CPK), The Court at King of Prussia Mall, 470 Mall Blvd., ☎ . 10AM-10PM.
- Fox & Hound Pub & Grille, 211 Mall Blvd, ☎ . Cable & Satellite system with 40+ televisions, 24 draft beers, 50+ bottled beers, premium wine & spirits, upscale billiards-games of skill. "We throw a cocktail party 7 days a week."
- Fitzwater Station, 264 Canal St, Port Providence, ☎ . Snacks, lunch, dinner and drinks on a deck overlooking the historic Schuylkill Canal, or on a glass enclosed porch. Daily and weekend specials, weekly entertainment. Paddle boats, Canoe and Kayak rentals.
- Mad Anthony's Tavern, 480 N. Gulph Rd (Sheraton Park Ridge Hotel), ☎ . Snacks and sandwiches. Comfortable bar serving a full line of spirits, wine by the glass, domestic and imported beers.
- Maxwell's Pub, 301 DeKalb Pk (The Inn at Valley Forge), ☎ . Sports bar atmosphere and casual dining with 44 beers (8 on tap).
- Screwball Sports Bar & Grille, 216 W Beider Rd. #600, ☎ .
- MainStay Suites - King of Prussia, 440 American Ave, ☎ . An all suite hotel with 69 rooms. Complimentary continental breakfast buffet daily. Fully equipped kitchens with spacious dining, living and bedroom areas. Free high speed internet access. Indoor pool, exercise rooms. Pets welcome.
- Sleep Inn - King of Prussia, 440 American Ave, ☎ . 78 rooms. Complimentary breakfast buffet daily, in-room coffee maker, iron and board, two line phone, and free high speed internet access. Indoor pool and exercise room.
- Comfort Inn Valley Forge, 550 W. DeKalb Pk, ☎ . Complimentary Continental breakfast, newspaper, HBO, free high-speed wireless internet, fitness center, data ports, iron and board, coffeemaker, hairdryer. Refridgerators available. Adjacent to the King of Prussia Mall. AAA/AARP discounts. Silver Award winner.
- Hampton Inn - King of Prussia, 530 W. DeKalb Pk, ☎ . 147 rooms. Multi-purpose rooms for meetings and functions. Free business and fitness centers. Group rates. Free deluxe breakfast bar. King deluxe rooms with microwave and refrigerator available. Free local calls.
- The Fairfield Inn Philadelphia-Valley Forge, 258 Mall Blvd, ☎ . 80 rooms.
- Best Western Inn at King of Prussia, 127 S. Gulph Rd, ☎ . 167 rooms. Deluxe Complimentary Continental breakfast, heated outdoor pool, spa and fitness center.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 260 N. Gulph Rd, ☎ . Three Diamond AAA rating. Complimentary Express Start Breakfast, USA Today newspaper, HBO,CNN,ESPN, High Speed Internet access, and fitness room with whirlpool. New two-room suites. Discounts at local restaurants
- Motel 6 King of Prussia, 815 W. DeKalb Pk, ☎ . 170 rooms. Free local calls. Accepts small pets. All children under 17 stay free, morning coffee, pool and guest laundry.
- Radisson Hotel Valley Forge, 1160 First Ave, ☎ . 328 over-sized guest rooms, business club level, three restaurants, over 3,000 sq. ft. fitness center, redesigned fantasy suites, three fabulous ballrooms, ICE Nightclub, on-site Budget Rent-a-Car.
- Park Ridge Hotel and Conference Center at Valley Forge, 480 N. Gulph Rd, ☎ . Dedicated conference center for up to 600 people. 265 guest rooms, outdoor pool, tennis, fitness center, adjacent golf course. 24-hour room service, restaurant, sports tavern. IACC approved.
- Dolce Valley Forge, 301 West DeKalb Pike, ☎ . Features 327 guest rooms, a health club, outdoor pool and gift shop.
- Crowne Plaza Valley Forge, 260 Mall Blvd, ☎ . This hotel offers 225 guest accommodations, restaurant with lounge, two elegant ballrooms and state-of-the-art amphitheater. IACC approved.
- Valley Forge Scanticon Hotel & Conference Center, 1210 First Ave, ☎ . A top choice for meetings, with multi-purpose general sessions for 15-90 and breakouts from 5-15. 160 guest rooms. IACC member.
Traffic in this area is thick and fast-moving, especially during rush hours (7-9AM and 4-6PM). Expect the interchanges to be backed up to the point where there are lines of cars winding around the nearby neighborhoods. Try to familiarize yourself with the traffic flow before you try driving in it, because if you are in the wrong lane trying to get onto one of the freeways, you will probably not be able to move over and will have to go the wrong direction and take a detour. Gulph Rd and Schuylkill River Rd are winding, steep, and have surprisingly high speed limits even though there are houses on them. Watch out for hidden driveways and sudden stops.
Be careful walking around the town. There are few crosswalks or pedestrian signals. Near the mall, you will be forced to jaywalk if you want to get anywhere on foot. It is not a pedestrian-friendly area by any means.
|Routes through King of Prussia|
|Harrisburg ← Middletown ←||W E||→ Bala Cynwyd → Philadelphia|
|END ←||W E||→ Fort Washington → Bristol|
|Allentown ← Kulpsville ←||N S||→ Wayne → Chester|
|Harrisburg ← Middletown ←||W E||→ Fort Washington → Bristol|
|Doylestown ← Bridgeport ←||N S||→ Malvern → West Chester|
|Harrisburg ← Reading ←||W E||→ END|