Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Lake Vouliagmeni, Vouliagmeni. Immediately to the south of town and very close to the sea, a rare geophysical formation is to be found that gave the suburb its modern name: Lake Vouliagmeni ("Sunk Lake"), a small brackish water lake fed by underground currents seeping through the mass of Mount Hymettus. It was once a large cavern that collapsed following an earthquake, probably during the early Middle Ages. The outline of the collapsed cavern roof can be clearly discerned from a distance. The lake stands at a 40 cm elevation. It continues deep inside the mountain in an underwater cave never fully explored, as its end seems impossible to trace even by employing sonar detection. Many underwater expeditions have been carried out in order to chart it, and a few amateur divers have drowned trying. Because of its constant and comfortable water temperature (24 degrees Celsius year round), the lake functions as a year-round spa, there is an entrance fee. In the area operates a restaurant-bar. 8€, children under 5 for free.
- 2 Sea Turtle Rescue Society Archelon, Glyfada (50 min by tram from central Athens). They are regularly looking for volunteers who are willing to work on their own costs and are able to take care of injured sea turtles.
- 3 Nautical Club of Vouliagmeni, Vouliagmeni (on the eastern edge of the Mikro Kavouri, adjacent to the Astir Palace Hotel). The club admits members and their guests and operates a marina, a waterskiing school, junior and Olympic competition sailing boats and facilities, an open-air, heated swimming pool, two rocky beaches, members' indoor and outdoor lounges, a gym, and a restaurant. The pool hosts swimming, finswimming, synchronized swimming and water polo teams and the respective training schools for children.
- 4 Glyfada Golf Club, K. Karamanli, Glyfada, ☏ , fax: . M 12:00 (winter schedule) or 13:00 (summer) to sunset, Tu-F 07:30 to sunset.
- 1 Congo Palace Hotel, 75 Poseidonos Ave, Glifada, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Congo Palace Hotel is located in the heart of the cosmopolitan seaside neighbourhood of Glyfada, just 15 km from the center of Athens and 19 km from the international airport (El. Venizelos).
- 2 Four Seasons Astir Palace Hotel Athens, Apollonos 40, Vouliagmeni (located on the southernmost point of the Athenian limits in Vouliagmeni), ☏ , , fax: . A complex on a private peninsula . Beautiful beaches and good facilities. Sprawling across 75 acres of sun-drenched gardens on a pine-dotted private peninsula, the resort complex includes two hotels.
- 3 Grand Resort Lagonissi, Lagonissi Attica. Out of the city limits, located on a private peninsula with bangalows with private pools. Extraordinary beaches and restaurants.
Nearby interesting areas in the direction to Sounio are Agia Marina, Anavyssos, Saronida, Lagonissi, Palaia Fokaia, Sounio