Verden an der Aller is in Lower Saxony.
Verden an der Aller, also called Verden (Aller) or simply Verden, is a town in Lower Saxony, Germany, on the river Aller. It is the administrative centre of the district of Verden. Verden is famous for the massacre of Saxons in 782, committed on the orders of Charlemagne (the Massacre of Verden), for its cathedral, and for its horse breeding. For many years, it was also the headquarters of the British 1st Armoured Division.
- A7 Take exit 48-Dreieck Walsrode to merge onto A27 toward Bremen/Walsrode. Take exit 26-Verden-Ost toward Verden/Kirchlinteln. Turn right onto Osterkrug/L171 (signs for Verden).
- A27 Take exit 53-Bremer Kreuz on the left to merge onto A27 toward Hanover/Achim. Take exit 25-Verden-Nord for B215 toward Verden/Nienburg/Rotenburg. Turn right onto Hamburger Str./B215 (signs for Nienburg/Verden). Turn left onto Johanniswall/L171.
- Taxi There are a number of different taxi firms that will be quite happy to take you to your destination.
- Walk If you are feeling energetic, why not walk around the town.
- Bus There is a regular bus service around the town if you don't wish to walk.
- 1 Verden Cathedral, Lugenstein 10-12, ☏ . The Cathedral at Verden is an interesting building of a mis-matched style. Although a Gothic hall church in nature, it incorporates the tower and cloister of the original Romanesque church on the site. Although not of the scale of other German cathedrals, this is still noteworthy as one of the earliest Gothic hall-style churches around.
- 2 German Horse Museum, Am Holzmarkt 9, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10:00-17:00. You can see the world through a horse's eyes using special mirror glasses. A further highlight is the library, with more than 15,000 books describing the history of the horse. Adult €3, Young people (5-18) €1.50, Child (0-4) Free.
- 3 Magic Park, Heideweg 3-7 (Can be reached via the A27, exit Verden Ost, The park is only a minute away from the exit.), ☏ . M-Su 09:30-18:00. The Magic Park is a theme park for smaller children to enjoy. There is a petting zoo in the middle of the park for the children to interact with the animals. Adult €15, Child (4-12) €13, Infant (0-3) Free.
- 1 Boat Trip on 'Ms Stadt Verden', ☏ . Discover Verden from the water on the 'MS Stadt Verden'. You can experience the town and the surrounding areas from a different perspective.
- 1 Dodenhof, Posthausen 1, 28869 Posthausen (23 km north). M-Sa 09:00-20:00. Enjoy a great day of shopping in the largest shopping centre in the North! This amazing shopping centre has many different departments including clothing, sports, art hourse, furniture, gourmet food store and electronics. There are 5000 parking free parking spaces.
- 1 Indiana, Bremer Straße 20, ☏ . daily 11:30-14:30 and 17:30-23:00 / Su 22:00. Serves a variety of different meat dishes as well as a few international options.
- 2 Niedersachsenhof, Lindhooper Straße 97 (On the RHS of the road on the way into Verden from the motorway), ☏ , fax: . daily 12:00-22:30. Very good restaurant that serves Lower Saxon and international cuisine. Ideal for that special occasion.
- Portofino Verden, Große Str. 126 (city center), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00–23:00. Bistro with a Mediterranean flair, serving pizza and pasta dishes from Italy. ~ 20 Euro for a menu.
- La Piazza Verden, Große Str. 46 (city center at the dom), ☏ , email@example.com. 10:00–23:00. The unique square in the heart of Verden, which combines a café, bar and bistro. ~ 25 Euro for a menu.
- 1 [dead link] Mais 12, Große Fischerstraße 35, ☏ . Tu-Sa 22:00-Open end. Variety of different drinks available, from cocktails, wine and beer.
- 2 Bodega, Ostertorstraße 7, ☏ . M-F 11:00–Open end, Sa-Su 10:00-Open end, Happy hour 17:00-19:00, Jumbo hour 19:00-21:00, Happy late night 23:00-01:00. A wide variety of alcoholic cocktails, mojitos, daiquiris and margaritas, non alcoholic cocktails are available. There is the opportunity of ordering food from the extensive menu, from Mexican, Italian and tapas, there is something for everyone.
- 1 Thöles Stadt-gut-Hotel garni, Reeperbahn 1, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00-22:00, check-out: 07:00-12:00. This hotel was newly built in 2011 and is located in the centre of Verden next to the main pedestrian street. There is free car parking at the hotel. €59-€79.
- 2 Akzent Hotel Höltje, Obere Straße 13-17, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 07:00-12:00. This is a family run hotel that is situated in the centre of Verden. There is the opportunity to use the indoor pool and sauna to unwind at the end of the day. There is an onsite bar and restaurant that has a wide range of drinks and fine cigars. €107-€138.
- 3 Niedersachsenhof, Lindhooper Straße 97 (On the RHS of the road on the way into Verden from the motorway), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Comfortable 85 room hotel with good restaurant (see above). €70-110 for a double room.
Within Germany you may dial the national prefix 0 instead of country code 49.
- 1 Zohrab Hamo Internetcafe, Stifthofstraße 5, ☏ .
|Routes through Verden an der Aller|
|Cuxhaven ← Bremen ←||N S||→ Walsrode|