Margareten is the fifth district of Vienna. Its border to the north is the Vienna river, to the west and south the Gürtel.
The district is skirted along the north by the underground line, and crossed by buses 13A and 14A.
- Margareten Platz. The biggest older square in Margareten.
- 3 Matzleinsdorfer Pfarrkirche (Florianikirche / Church of St Florian), Wiedner Hauptstraße 97, ☏ . Two previous churches were located here, the most recent a Baroque building from the 18th century, which despite massive popular protest was demolished in 1965 due to traffic considerations. The new steel and concrete church was designed by the German architect Rudolf Schwarz and built between 1961-1965. A defining characteristic is the interplay of light concrete and dark glass, with the entry side featuring an oversized cross motif, and the side featuring a herringbone pattern. The main altar from the old church, painted by F.X. Wagenschön and depicting the transfiguration of St Florian, is now located in the organ loft of the new church.
- The "Red Vienna": Community Housing of the 1920s and 1930s, along Margaretengürtel (Tramway 6, 18: Arbeitergasse or Eichenstraße). Gates close in the evening. During a short period from 1919 to 1933, the city of Vienna erected some 65,000 apartments of high quality for the impoverished working class. Highly noticeable is also the contemporary architecture of these buildings all across town, of which several interesting ones are clustered on a short stretch along Gürtel road. The style ranges from Art Déco to modernistic, the buildings have courtyards and often resemble fortresses – as which they were even used during the civil war 1934. Look out for the 1920s 4 Reumannhof, 5 Metzleinsthaler Hof, 6 Matteottihof, or the 1950s high rise building of Matzleinsdorf just nearby. Show respect while visiting, as these are living houses and not tourist attractions in the first place. Free.
- 1 Filmcasino, Margaretenstraße 78, Margareten, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This very stylish cinema screens carefully chosen films.
- Margaretenstraße, Margareten (U4 Pilgramgasse). A chic shopping street with cozy cafes, galleries and up-market shops.
- 1 Fruth (Chocolaterie Patisserie Fruth), Wiedner Hauptstraße 114, ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 11:00-19:00, Sa 09:00-17:00. The shop sells handmade chocolate.
Around the Margareten-Platz in the area named "Schlossquadrat" there are several restaurants to choose from like the traditional Austrian one the Silberwirt. Off the beaten path one finds several restaurants specialising in Viennese food.
- 1 Zu den 3 Buchteln, Wehrgasse 9, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Sa 18:00–24:00. Bohemian and Viennese excellent kitchen with many dessert choices.
- 2 On, Wehrgasse 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Sa 12:00–24:00 Su, holidays 12:00–22:30. A Chinese/Asian restaurant that gets consistent excellent gourmet reviews. €9-16.
- 3 Rudi's Beisl, Wiedner Hauptstraße 88, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 11:30–15:00, 18:00–23:00. This Austrian Beisl likes to put "Panier" on everything. €8-15.
- 4 Silberwirt, Schloßgasse 21, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 12:00-24:00. The "Beisl" is very popular amongst local Viennese.
- 5 Waldviertler Hof, Schönbrunner Straße 20, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10:00-24:00. This traditional Vienna restaurant offers good seasonal food and beer choices. The restaurant is non-smoking. Each room is specifically decorated, one of them is a traditional Zirben-Stube. The prices are fair and the portions big.
- 6 Weinschenke Franzensgasse (Weinschenke), Franzensgasse 11 (55A Schönbrunner Strasse), ☏ . M–Sa 18:00–01:00. Chef Nikolai Kölbl serves enchanting versions of Viennese food. There are vegetarian options and the salads are good.
- 7 Woracziczky, Spengergasse 52 (U4 Pilgramgasse +7min walk, 14A Reinprechtsdorfer Brücke), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 11:30-14:30, 18:00-24:00. A modern interpretation of traditional Viennese food like Tafelspitzsulz, Blunzentascherln, Zwiebelrostbraten, and Kalbsrahmgulasch. It is particularly popular for its casual atmosphere and tasty, delicate food.
- 8 [dead link] Zum Schwarzen Adler, Schönbrunner Straße 40, ☏ . M-Sa 11:00-24:00. The "Gasthaus" serves Viennese food and Hackl Bräu (workers' beer).
- 9 Senhor Vinho, Schwarzhorngasse 8, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 18:00-02:00. The Portuguese restaurant offers Bacalhao, Pastel de Nata and many different Portuguese wines. €14–22.
- 1 Café Cuadro, Margaretenstrasse 77, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 08:00-24:00, Su 09:00-23:00. The café serves breakfast, later cocktails and burgers, beware that people are heavily smoking.
- 2 Café Rüdigerhof, Hamburgerstraße 20 (U4 Kettenbrückengasse + 5min walk), ☏ . 09:00-02:00. The Rüdigerhof is a typical Viennese café, hence expect rude waiters (treat them with humor) and have enough time to chill out. It offers nice seats outdoor under trees next to the Vienna river. Indoor can be very smoky.
- 3 Motto (Motto Club), Schönbrunner Straße 30, ☏ . It is a bar, a restaurant, a gallery and a concert location. The bar serves good wines and cocktails. It is a location for smokers.
- 4 Pub Klemo, Margaretenstraße 61, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 17:00-. The wine bar and shop has an incredible choice over 3000 different wines.
- 5 Reinprechtsstüberl, Reinprechtsdorfer Straße 5, ☏ . M-F 11:00-23:00, Sa 16:00-23:00. It serves upper Austrian monastery beer Schlägl and must ("Most").
- 6 Transporter Bar, Kettenbrückengasse 1 (Corner Margaretenstraße 54), ✉ email@example.com. Tu–Sa 19:30-. The popular minimalistic bar with fair trade juices, long drinks features life DJ acts. It has free Wi-Fi access. The table-tennis table is used every Wednesday for a ping-pong evening.
- 7 WerkzeugH, Schönbrunner Straße 61, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 16:00-01:00, Su 10:00-01:00. The young architect Manfred Wuits together with the cook Zeljko Jovanovic transformed the previous tool hall/shop to an innovative popular bohemian bar. In summer time one can sit outside. There is free Wi-Fi. Usually on Sundays they organise special breakfast.
- 1 Hotel Allegro, Matzleinsdorferplatz 1, Margareten, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Rough location on the corner of busy streets incluting Gürtel it is hence easy accessible and has fast connections.
- 2 Hotel ibis Wien City (ibis Wien Schönbrunnerstrasse), Schönbrunner Str 92, Margareten, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. €65, €10 breakfast.
- 3 The Art hotel Vienna, Brandmayergasse 7-9, Margareten, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. a modern 3-star hotel
- 4 Falkensteiner Hotel Wien Margareten, Margaretengürtel 142 (U4 Margaretengürtel), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Opened in 2013 it is designed by architect Matteo Thun. It offers free Wi-Fi, a sauna, and a steam bath.
- 5 [formerly dead link] Pentahotel Vienna, Margaretenstraße 92 (U4 Pilgramgasse), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The hotel has a café bar and stylish rooms designed by Matteo Thun.
Inner districts of Vienna:
- Innere Stadt is the central town district.
- Mariahilf is an inner district to the north.
- Wieden is an inner district to the east.
Outer districts of Vienna:
- Hietzing is the far outer district to the west.
|Routes through Margareten|
|Vienna/Hietzing ← Vienna/Meidling ←||W E||→ Vienna/Wieden → Vienna/Landstraße|