Wieden is the fourth district of Vienna. It's north border is the Vienna river, the Prinz Eugen Straße the east and the Gürtel the south.
Wieden extend from the area south of the Opera including the Karlkirche at Karlsplatz to Wien Haputbahnhof, with energetic pockets of businesses and squares to be discovered from the Vienna University of Technology to artsy galleries to a cluster of hair-cutting salons to even Vienna's miniature version of a Chinatown.
All long-distance services to Vienna stop at 1 Wien Hauptbahnhof. The underground line is available to the North, while the crosses the district.
Museums and galleries
- 1 Wien Museum Karlsplatz (Vienna Museum Karlsplatz), Karlsplatz 8, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su and holidays 10:00-18:00. A museum documenting Vienna's history. It is split into several branches with its main branch at Karlsplatz. €8 (adults), €6 (seniors/students), free (children under 12).
- 2 Dritte Mann Museum (Third Man Museum), Preßgasse 25, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sa 14:00-18:00 (no reservations). This is a private museum dedicated to the cult film The Third Man, which was shot in Vienna and released in 1949. This film is often played at the Burgkino. €7.50 (adults), €6 (seniors/students).
- 3 Generali Foundation, Wiedner Hauptstraße 15, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Exhibits: Tu-Su 11:00-18:00, Th 11:00-20:00, public holidays 11:00-18:00; archives/library W Th 12:00-18:00, or by appt. This private foundation houses large collection of contemporary art, with a special focus on photograph, film, video, and installation pieces. The archives and library are also open to the public. €6 (adults), €3 (concessions, and Th after 18:00), free (students on T).
- 4 Schubert Sterbewohnung (Death place of Franz Schubert), Kettenbrückengasse 6, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. W Th 10:00-13:00, 14:00-18:00. The composer Franz Schubert died here in 1828. The small museum displays documents relating to the composer's life and work. €5 (adults), €4 (seniors/students/Vienna Card), free (children and youth under 19), free the first Su of every month.
- 5 Karlskirche (St Charles' Church), Kreuzherrengasse 2, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 09:00-12:30, 13:00-18:00; Su and holidays 12:00-17:45. Largest Baroque church north of the Alps, designed by the famous architect Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. Frescos done by Michael Rottmayr and paintings from the Italian Baroque painters Sebastiano Ricci and Giuseppe Antonio Pellegrini, and the Austrian painter Daniel Gran. €8 (adults), €4 (students), free (children under 10).
- 6 Karlsplatz Stadtbahn Pavilion, Karlsplatz (near the Secession Building and Naschmarkt). An original entrance building for the Wiener Stadtbahn railway station at Karlsplatz (now U-Bahn line U4), designed by Otto Wagner. It is a good example of functional turn of the century architecture – ornate, yet useful. Wagner was one of the most influential architects in Vienna and his style was widely copied. No longer used to access the station, the building now houses a small exhibition on Wagner and the Viennese urban improvements of the era.
- 7 Paulanerkirche, Paulanergasse 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Built in the 17th century, the current appearance of the church is largely Baroque.
- 8 Palais Schönburg (ehem. Gartenpalais Starhemberg), Rainergasse 11. The small Baroque garden palace is one of the earlier works of Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt. It was modified in the 19th century, and these days used as an event location.
- 1 Schikaneder Kino, Margaretenstraße 24, Wieden, ☏ . 18:00-04:00. The cinema features art and non mainstream films. It also participates to smaller film festivals.
- 2 Freie Bühne Wieden, Wiedner Hauptstrasse 60b, Wieden, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.orgW. The place opened in 1976 and has first releases.
- 3 Moki Mobiles Kindertheater, Blechturmg 14, Wieden, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A theatre with plays for kids.
- 4 Theater Akzent, Theresianumg 18, Wieden, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. It has three different play stages: Theater Akzent, Podium im Akzent and Studio im Akzent. Tickets sold at Argentinierstraße 37, M-F 13:00-18:00, Sa 14:00-18:00, closed Jul and Aug.
- 5 Wiener Wortstätten, Schönbrunner Straße 9, Wieden, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Founded in 2005 by Hans Escher and Bernhard Studlar, and features intercultural theatre.
- 1 Technische Universität Wien (TU Wien / Vienna University of Technology), Karlsplatz, Wieden (U1, U2, U4 Karlsplatz). The university was founded in 1815 and has today more than 25,000 students. The teaching and research is focused on engineering and natural sciences. The old main building directly faces the Karlsplatz.
- 2 Bibliothek TU Wien (Eule / Vienna University of Technology Library). The place offers students the possibility to quietly learn for their upcoming exams. It houses of course many relevant interesting standard books. Often simply referred to as the Eule due to owl displayed on the corner of the building.
- 3 Freihaus. The building hosts most of the physics or mathematics courses and faculty. It is built on the former place of an Opera house where Mozart first staged the Magic Flute (Die Zauberflöte).
- Schleifmühlgasse, Wieden (by foot from Karlsplatz U1/U2/U4). This little cobbled lane is home to many excellent contemporary art galleries, as well as some fine restaurants.
- 1 Wiedner Hauptstraße, Wieden (starts from Karlsplatz and passes the University of Technology, Trams 1, 62, and WLB run its length). A quiet shopping street with mostly small business selling oddities like stamps and a few tranquil cafes and bars.
- 2 Favoritenstraße, Wieden (U1 Taubstummengasse, U1/S Südtirolerplatz). A neighborhood street with regular shops like pharmacies and groceries, but a very lively one and a good example of where most Viennese do their everyday business.
- 3 Edelgreisslerei Opocensky, Favoritenstraße 25 (U1 Mayerhofgasse + 5min walk), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M Tu 11:00-17:00, W-F 11:00-21:00, Sa 11:00-17:00. The shop sells excellent Austrian food and wines.
- 4 Hang Loose Surf Shop, Favoritenstraße 28 (U1Mayerhofgasse), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-16:00. The surf shop sells wind surfing and kite equipment during spring/summer. In winter time one finds here a big choice of snowboards or free skis. The owner and the seller are sports-man themselves and hence can provide excellent advises.
- 5 Kaffeerösterei Alt Wien, Schleifmuehlgasse 23, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-16:00. The coffee roastery sells special blends from every major global coffee-producing region, including such excellent specialty coffees as organic Brazilian.
- 6 Kaffeefabrik, Favoritenstrasse 4-6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 08:00-18:00, Sa 11:00-17:00. Tobias Radinger sells directly imported, fresh-roasted coffees.
- 7 Maftei shoemaker (Alexandru Maftei), Kühnplatz 6 (U1 U2 U4 Karlsplatz), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The Maftei family is crafting shoes since 1925. Every shoe is handmade and unique. Alexandru Maftei uses and selects leather from the best tannieres. The double stitched seam is crafted for the chosen bespoke shoe. €600-.
As an inner district, Wieden has lots of different dining options, including international cuisines including French, Italian, and Japanese. There are many restaurants in the Naschmarkt, but unless carefully chosen the quality unfortunately might not be that great. In the streets immediately adjacent to the Naschmarkt however there are plenty of excellent choices.
- 1 Paninoteca, Margaretenstraße 22, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10:00-16:00. Small delicious little Italian sandwiches for takeaway. They offer free Wi-Fi. €4.20-6.90.
- 2 [formerly dead link] Salon Wichtig, Karlsgasse 22 (U1, U2, U4 Karlsplatz), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11:00-16:00, F 11:00-15:00. Dubbed the best curry in town, it has vegetarian options and the food is freshly cooked. Most people choose takeaway; one can sit nearby in front of Karlskirche.
- 3 Aromat, Margaretenstraße 52 (U4 Kettenbrückegasse), ☏ . Tu-Su 17:00-23:00. This place has an excellent different dinner menu with vegetarian option every week. It has the best crêpes in Vienna, but is unfortunately a smokers restaurant. Reservations are strongly recommended.
- 4 Babette's, Schleifmühlgasse 17, ☏ . M-F 10:00-19:00, Sa 10:00-17:00. The small kitchen-bookstore serves an excellent lunch menu, with usually one vegetarian choice. The tables/bar can accommodate only a small number of people. Patrons can watch the food preparation and learn cooking tips.
- 5 Chang (Chang asian noodles), Waaggasse 1 (U1 Taubstummengasse), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Next to the upscale restaurant there is the simpler one, which shares the same kitchen. Vegetarians will find good choices.
- 6 Gasthaus Ubl, Preßgasse 26, ☏ . W-Su 12:00-14:00 18:00-24:00. The Austrian restaurant "Wirtshaus" serves traditional Viennese in authentic decor. €8,50-18.
- 7 Kojiro Sushi-Bar, Rechte Wienzeile 9, ☏ . M-F 11:00-18.15, Sa 10:00-14:00. The first sushi bar in Vienna is a still-thriving crowded place. It is really small and easily missed. The green tea is free for customers.
- 8 Kojiro, Kühnplatz 4, ☏ . M-Sa 11:30-21:00. The newer second branch of Kojiro is on a little square, where one can sit outside. It has a daily Japanese lunch menu and excellent sushi.
- 9 Nagoya Sushi, Schleifmühlgasse 8 (1,62 Paulanergasse), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 11:30-22:30, Su 17:00-21:30. The Korean restaurant got modernised in 2013 and added Japanese food to its menu. It now sells fresh Sushi also for the go. They kept many Korean choices.
- 10 Tewa am Naschmarkt, Naschmarkt Stand 672 (in the Naschmarkt), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 07:00-23:00. Very bio place, popular with the early thirty-something bohemian locals.
- 11 Artner auf der Wieden, Floragasse 6 (U1 Taubstummengasse), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 12:00-24:00, Sa-Su and holidays 18:00-24:00. Belongs to a famous winery. Offers creative, fresh fare that tends to be on the lighter side than most Austrian cuisine. It has a 2 or 3-course business lunch menu offering, where one of the two options is vegetarian. Excellent wine cellar, reservations recommended.
- 12 [dead link] Coté Sud, Schleifmühlgasse 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This small bistro cooks French cuisine with consistent good quality.
- 13 Otto e Mezzo (Acht ein halb), Schleifmühlgasse 20, ☏ . This restaurant, named after the Fellini film, is an Italian gem and offers a daily lunch menu. The Italian wines are well chosen and the pasta is lovely.
Bars and other
- 1 Schikaneder, Margaretenstraße 24, ☏ . 18:00-04:00. The bar next to the cinema is popular with the mixed alternative crowd. Seats are usually only available if you go early.
- 2 Roxy Club, Faulmanngasse 2, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Operating since 1991 (with a short break only in 2012), this place stands out if you like stylish evenings with good music, including funk, soul, and hip hop. Look out for a small door to go downstairs.
- 3 Wieden Bräu, Waaggasse 5, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:30-24:00 (specific hours for July/August). The brewery serves typical Austrian food. The beers are Märzen, Hell, Dunkel, Gemischtes and a monthly one.
- 4 Cafe Amacord, Rechte Wienzeile 15 (next to the Naschmarkt), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00–01:00. This café serves a lunch menu and international food choices including lots of vegetarian options. It has a nice laid back atmosphere, and is one of Vienna's rare non-smoking cafés. It has good Austrian whine and red wine choices.
- 5 Café Anzengruber, Schleifmühlgasse 19 (Karlsplatz + 5min walk), ☏ . M–Sa 16:00–02:00. This place is packed for football games and serves mostly beer and wine. The Schnitzel is highly recommended by locals.
- 6 Heuer am Karlsplatz, Treitlstraße 2 (U1, U2, U4 Karlsplatz), ☏ . 09:00-02:00. This café is located very centrally on Karlsplatz, in the cube building of the Kunsthalle next to the University of Technology. It got relaunched in 2014 with stylish exterior and Thonet chairs inside. With good weather one can sit outside. Offers nice breakfasts too (eggs Florentine, French toast). They serve home-brewed Schlehen-Gin. Breakfast €6.80-, main dish €10-20.
- 7 [dead link] Radlager, Operngasse 28 (Karlsplatz), ✉ email@example.com. M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa -22:00. The very stylish bike shop sells excellent coffee from an Italian espresso machine with Neapolitan roasted beans, juices, small sandwiches and salads.
- 8 [formerly dead link] Süssi (Salon de Thè Français), Operngasse 30, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 11:00-21:00, Su M 13:00-21:00. A French tea salon that sells excellent French patisserie (Macarons). Its interior is extravagant.
- 9 The breakfastclub, Schleifmühlgasse 12-14, ☏ . M-F 08:00-14:00, Sa Su 08:00-15:00. The place's specialty is good breakfasts, with many choices including vegetarian.
- 10 Café Wortner, Wiedner Hauptstraße 55, ☏ . A traditional Viennese café with a nice interior, but beware of the smoke and don't expect too much for the food. Wi-Fi access.
- 1 AllYouNeed Hotel Vienna4***, Schäffergasse 2, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. The 3-star seasonal hotel is open from 1 July to 30 September and has 104 non-smoking rooms en-suite with hairdryer, flat-TV with satellite access and free internet, lift, lobby with seating, drinks and snacks machine, breakfast buffet, luggage storage, concierge service. €52.65+.
- 2 Hotel Pension Shermin, Rilkeplatz 7, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Hotel Carlton Opera, Schikanedergasse 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Hotel Erzherzog Rainer (Schick Hotel Erzherzog Rainer in Vienna), Wiedner Hauptstraße 27-29, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The Hotel Erzherzog Rainer is one of the five Vienna Schick Hotels.
- 5 Das Triest Hotel, Wiedner Hauptstraße 12 (centrally located near the Opera), ☏ . Designed by Sir Terence Conran, it has not only a special restaurant, but a special highly-rated bar too.
Inner districts of Vienna:
- Innere Stadt is the central town district.
- Landstraße is the inner district to the East with Belvedere.
- Mariahilf is the inner district to the North.
- Margareten is the inner district to the West.
Outer districts of Vienna:
- Hietzing with Schönbrunn Palace is quickly reached by underground.
|Routes through Wieden|
|Vienna/Leopoldstadt ← Vienna/Innere Stadt ←||N S||→ Vienna/Favoriten → END|
|Vienna/Meidling ← Vienna/Margareten ←||W E||→ Vienna/Landstraße → Vienna/Innere Stadt|