Virden is a town of 3,300 people (2016) in the Prairie Mountain region of Manitoba.
Known as the "Oil Capital of Manitoba", Virden has its roots as a farming community known as Gopher Creek. However, it became a railway tent town in 1882, and grew in population due to the brick and flour industry, as well as with the discovery of oil in the 1950s. The origin of the name, Virden, allegedly arose as a misspelling of the German town Verden in the homeland of the 7th Duke of Manchester's wife.
- Virden Tourist Information Centre, 425 6th Avenue South (in the old train station), ☏ . year round.
Virden is at the junction of the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1), halfway between Regina and Winnipeg, and Highway 83.
- 1 Fort Montagne a la Bosse (4.0 km (2.5 mi) east of Virden along the former Trans-Canada Hwy.). A North West Company trading post from 1790 until c. 1805. The original fort site was destroyed during extraction of gravel during construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway through the area. The site is marked with a cairn.
- 2 Virden Canadian Pacific Railway Station (Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 79), 425 6th Avenue S.
- Virden Pioneer Home Museum, 390 King Street W, ☏ . Late May to Aug: M-Sa 9AM-6PM, Su 1-6PM. In a red brick veneer home built by James Frame in 1888. It has a collection of over 10,009 donated artifacts relating to Virden and area. Guided tours.
- Oak Island Golf Resort, 132 Government Rd, ☏ . A course that is completely surrounded by beautiful prairie wetlands and one of the province's oldest stands of oak trees. A 6626-yard course. 18 holes $30-65, 9 holes $25-40.
- Costume Closet, 484 6th Avenue S, ☏ . Offers a unique collection of over 15,000 costumes.
- Boston Pizza, 290 Frontage Road W, ☏ .
- Chicken Chef, 175 Wellington St W, ☏ . Daily 9AM-10PM. Salads, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, chicken.
- T's Dining & Lounge, 235 Nelson Street W, ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-9PM, Sa 5-9PM.
- Oak Island Resort Camping, ☏ . 30-amp service, water, and septic connections at each site. A full supply of RV parts and accessories, wood, propane exchange, and lots of other items to ensure you enjoy your stay. 18-hole mini-golf, pools and wet deck. Four fully equipped rental cabins. Camping $42-50, one-bedroom $125-145.
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 380 Frontage Road W, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Virden Central Hotel, 444 6th Avenue South, ☏ . 60-seat dining room, 250-seat beverage room & patio, off sale beer vendor and 15 renovated guest rooms. From $86.
|Routes through Virden|
|Regina ← Moosomin ←||W E||→ Brandon → Winnipeg|
|Swan River ← Russell ←||N S||→ → becomes → Jct W E → Minot|