Vis is one of the Dalmatian islands in Croatia.
The island can be reached by ferry from Split. The journey takes around 2 hours and 30 minutes and costs about 45 Kune. You'll arrive at the port of Vis.
The island has good roads, an inheritance of the previous status of the island as militar base. The main road goes all around the island for about 30 km. Other roads cutting the island in the middle exists as well.
Vis is a small coastal town and you could easily walk everywhere. You can go to Komiža at the northern bay by bus (15-20 mins, 20 Kune). Regular bus service connects Vis harbour to Komiza, this is scheduled according to the departures and arrival time of the ferry from the main land. Departure from Komiza are typically one houre before the scheduled departure of the ferry from Vis. The bus leaves Vis few minutes later the ferry arrival.
There are rental service for cars, scooters and bikes. Prices as of August 2009 are 500 kuna to rent a car for 4h, 350 kuna to rent a scooter for 24h and 150 to rent a bike for 24h. Taxis are available in the parking lots of the two main towns, English is sometime not spoken, so be prepared. A 10 km return ride on day time costs about 300 kuna.
Many companies organizes excursion with their boats. Typically tours leave in the morning around 9AM or according to weather conditions. Taxi boat service is more difficult to find and more expensive.
The island is plenty of superb beaches. Most of them are peaceful even in full season. In general the seafront is not so exploited and looks really natural.
On the south coast, close to the village of Rukavac, near the city of Milna, there is Srebrena beach or the Silver beach. This is a stunning white pebbled beach, which certainly deserves a visit. In the inner part of the bay there is the part of Srebrena covered with pebbles. This part is typically more crowded, while the rocky part is just few meters away and look outside the bay and is certainly much more peaceful. You can find bars, and restaurant at ten minutes walking from the beach, close to the place where you have to leave your car.
One of the most extraordinary and stunning inlets in the Adriatic is Stiniva bay on north of the island of Vis. The beach is not accessible by car and you have to walk a difficult and steep path for about 30 minutes.
Stoncica bay is located about 6km from the city of Vis on the north eastern shore of the island of Vis. It is probably the most popular beach among young people. There you can find a nice kiosk with ice creams and refreshments, a cosy restaurant and a beach volley playground. The beach can be crowded in full season. It is probably the best beach in the island as far as concerns facilities.
Nice beach are also at walking distance from the town of Komiza. Most notably the beach of Kamenica. There you can find a nice bay with pebbles and a cosy atmosphere due to the Acquarius bar that on day time runs just few meters away from the seafront. No food is served, but you can find all kinds of refreshments.
Going further south from Kamenica you can find a nudist beach.
NW from the center of the town of Komiza there is the main beach of Komiza. There you can find many facilities like a bar and a restaurant. Really close by there is the diving center of the town. The beach is covered with pebbles and is typically rather crowded for the local standards.
Food on the island can be really cheap compared to many western european countries. Pizza is rather popular but do not expect to eat the same thing you find in its homeland. However the Italian influence in the food is rather strong and you can be surprised by some pizza you can find on the island.
- Limoncello, Vis, ☎ . The restaurant has its tables in a charming garden plenty of a Mediterranean mood. Fish is excellent and the dishes cooked on wooden fire are so tasty that is difficult to tell. The choice is also good compared to other places on the island. A must.
- Kantun, 16, Biskupa Mihe Pusica, Vis, ☎ . Very popular restaurant with the atmosphere of a fisherman house. Very good for "occasions". Reservation needed.
- Barba, ☎ . Nice restaurant in Komiza with food cooked on wooden fire.
- Jastozera, ☎ . Pricey lobster house in the town of Komiza.
- Bako, 4, Gunduliceva, Komiza, ☎ . Very cosy place in the town of Komiza. Food is quite good, prices are in the averace. The terrace is really nice, so close to the sea that you can really feel it.
- Plaza. is one of the best, and cheapest!, pizzeria in the town of Komiza. It is located in the town of Komiza near the hotel and the main beach. Prices are around 70 kuna for a meal and the food is rather good.
- 1 Dionis, Matije Gupca 1, 21480 Vis, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. serves great Italian and Dalmatian food at reasonable prices. Try the calamari risotto! main dishes around 8-12€.
- Kolderaj, Ante Starcevica 2, Vis. is a small bakery at the coast where you can get coffee and tea as well.
Apartments are available in the town of Vis and Komiza, and in houses on the seafront. Prices are about 350 kuna for a 1 bedroom aprtment in full season.