Viscri or Deutsch Weisskirch is a village in Brasov County. It is a UNESCO world heritage site.
The village is located in comuna Bunesti. It is reachable from the villages Bunesti (6 km) or Dacia (8 km). These are accessible from the road that links Sighisoara and Brasov. Viscri is very close to Rupea. On maps you will probably only find Bunesti.
From Sighisoara an appointment can be made for a bus by calling ☏ +40 72 1176299. The cost is €15/person, minimum 2 persons. You can also take a taxi from Sighisoara train station to Viscri. It takes about a 45-minute drive.
Hitchhiking from the main road should not be very difficult.
- 1 The fortified church (Biserica fortificată). It is considered to be oldest church in Transylvania, and also one of the best preserved. It was built at the beginning of the 13th century. You can go to the top of the tower and have an amazing view of the surroundings, the village and the fortress itself. Go inside the church and the entrance to the tower is at the rear of the church sanctuary. The panoramic view from the tower is a highlight a trip to Viscri. As you walk down from the church, a small gate on the right side provides access to the graveyard which surrounds the church and offers a good view of the fortified church structure. 4 lei (adults), 1 leu (students).
- The Saxon museum is located in the fortress and requires no extra entrance fee. It features several rooms that show the now almost extinct Saxon culture. Tip: the women keeping the museum and fortress is a Saxon herself, one of the last 25 in the village; you can ask her about Saxon culture and history. She will be happy to tell you.
- The brickworks are burning clay bricks and tiles as they used to 500 years ago.
- The charburner is still making coal in a traditional way.
- walk around or have a picnic in the beautiful countryside
- get out of your usual decor into a traditional and picturesque village
Near the school and the post office there is a shop of the Association of Women from Viscri, where you can find handmade socks, hats, pottery and other traditional art and crafts.
Every meal and every ingredient in Viscri is homemade, the only thing produced industrially in your meals will be oil and sugar. A meal ranges from 20 to 50 lei, depending on what you eat.
Near the school there is a good and very cheap cafe: fresh coffee for 4 lei, water 1 leu.
Viscri 125, 125, Viscri, Brasov County, Romania (Find No.125), ☏ +40 723579489, email@example.com. Full-service hotel. See website.
There are also about 60 rooms in the whole village with prices around 35 lei/person/night. Because it is a village and everybody knows everybody you can just ask somebody to help you find a place to stay.
There is a nice pension located at the corner of the T-intersection, where the main road meets the steep road leading up to the fortified church. The pension is on one right-angle corner of the T-intersection on the slope, and is directly opposite the Romanian government building which is on the other right-angle corner of the T-intersection.
- 1 Viscri 44, Strada Bisericii, 44 (just bellow the fortified church of Viscri), ☏ +40 722 671 623, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3 pm, check-out: 11 am. €60-115.
- Rupea fortress, 11 km away
- Sighisoara, about 40 km away
- Saschiz fortress, about 20 km away