Vlaardingen is a city located on the banks of the Nieuwe Maas (New Meuse), which makes the city a part of the Rotterdam-The Hague Metropolitan Region. The municipality houses some 72,000 citizens. Vlaardingen is dissected by the Vlaardingervaart river. The city is best known as the herring city of the Netherlands. Fishing for herring, anchovies and Atlantic cod however, has long gone. The history as a fisherman's town, however, can still be seen around the Oude Haven and Koningin Wilhelminahaven.
Vlaardingen is first mentioned in the eighth century. Around the year 700, a small church would have been founded by a monk known as Heribald, who donated the church to Saint Willibrord. The city is thought to have obtained its city rights before 1273, as a document from that year allows Vlaardingen rights that seem to be additional rights to pre-existing rights. Herring has been a main focus for Vlaardingen since the eighteenth century. The fishing and trade of herring are what made the city grow.
The opening of the Nieuwe Waterweg in 1872 and a railroad connection in 1881 are of great significance to Vlaardingen, allowing it to develop industry that could benefit from the activity in the harbour. In 1941 Vlaardingen annexed the neighbouring municipality of Vlaardinger-Ambacht, which gave the city space for further expansion projects such as Westwijk and Vlaardingen-Holy.
- 1 VVV-Agentschap Vlaardingen (Tourist office), Westhavenkade 56, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-17:00.
Vlaardingen is near the intersection of the A20/E25 highway and the A4 highway. From Rotterdam, follow the A20 heading west, using exit 8 (Vlaardingen-West). From Amsterdam and The Hague, use the A4 heading south, using exit 16 (Vlaardingen-Oost) followed by a turn right towards the Burger King.
By public transit
From September 2019, Vlaardingen's three railway stations will have been converted into Metro stops: 1 , 2 and 3 , all of which are on line A and B. Line A terminates at Vlaardingen West, while line B continues on to Hoek van Holland Strand. These lines connect to the railway stations of Rotterdam Alexander, Rotterdam Blaak and Schiedam Centrum. Services on line A and B are very frequent, with 4 metros per hour between 05:30 and 07:00, and between 19:00 and 00:30, and 6 metros per hour between 07:00 and 19:00 on both lines. There are four trains per hour during the Dutch holidays.
Until the metro line is opened again, you can use lines 126 and 713 from Schiedam Centrum or bus 56 from , which is located on the other side of the A4 highway.
The north of Vlaardingen, which consists of mostly private housing, is accessible via light rail, which also connects to Schiedam Centrum. The main station is 4 De Loper.
Vlaardingen is located along the Vlaardingervaart, which connects directly to the Nieuwe Maas (New Meuse). Here, you will find three marinas:
- 2 W.S.V. De Kleiput, Hoflaan 20.
- 3 Broekpolder, Watersportweg 30-32, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 De Bommeer, Broekkade 5.
Vlaardingen is easily covered by public transit, whether you'd rather take a bus, tram/light rail or metro, your main hub will most likely be in the in Schiedam. If you wish to travel a greater area, car rental can be found at 5 Rotterdam-The Hague Airport, found on Metro line E and busline 33.
- Grote Kerk
- Weighing Bridge
- 1 De Kroepoekfabriek (Concert hall), Koningin Wilhelminahaven Noordzijde 2A, ☏ .
- Museum Vlaardingen, Westhavenkade 54, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Museum dedicated to the history of Vlaardingen, and especially its relationship with water.
- 1 Barbequerestaurant ZieZo, Koningin Wilhelminahaven Noordzijde 2, ☏ .
- 2 De Elegast, Markt 39, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Westkaai, Westhavenkade 10, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Grillroom-Steakhouse Farao, Dayer 2, ☏ .
- 5 Gallo d'Oro, Smalle Havenstraat 9, ☏ .
- 6 The Irish Pub, Westhavenplaats 31, ☏ .
- 7 [dead link] Café Stam, Markt 9, ☏ .
- 8 De Hofnar, Hoogstraat 169, ☏ .
- 9 [dead link] Paviljoen De Krabbeplas, Surfpad 50, ☏ .
- 1 Cruise Hotel, Maasboulevard 15, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Has views over the harbor.
- 2 Hotel Ibis Rotterdam Vlaardingen, Westlandseweg 270, ☏ . €64.
- 3 Hotel/Restaurant Campanile Rotterdam Vlaardingen, Kethelweg 220-222, ☏ . €51.
- 4 Bastion Hotel Vlaardingen, Mr L.A. Kesperweg 51, ☏ . €79.
- Using the metro network, you will be able to get around the greater Rotterdam area easily.
- Line Schiedam, Rotterdam Beurs, Blaak, Capelsebrug, as well as Alexander. Line B continues west towards Maassluis and Hook of Holland. and line will get you to
- Line Spijkenisse. connects at Schiedam Centrum and will get you to
- Line connects to Rotterdam Beurs, reachable via lines A and B, from which it connects to Rotterdam Centraal, the main railway station of Rotterdam, as well as Spijkenisse.
- Line The Hague. also connects at Rotterdam Beurs, and runs north towards
- On the other end of the Meuse, you will find the historical town of Brielle.
- Also to the south, you will find the province of Zeeland, famous for the Delta Works.
|Routes through Vlaardingen|
|Amsterdam ← The Hague ←||N S||→ Rotterdam|
|Naaldwijk ← Maassluis ←||W E||→ Rotterdam → Gouda|
|Vlaardingen ←||W E||→ Schiedam → Rotterdam Alexander|
|Hoek van Holland Strand ← Maassluis ←||W E||→ Rotterdam Blaak → Rotterdam Alexander|