The city is situated in Cerna Valley near the Poiana Ruscă Mountains within the Carpathian Mountains. It is most known because of the Corvinestilor Castle(Hunyad Castle), located in the city. Besides the Romanian population, there are also ethnic Hungarians and Germans living in Hunedoara. A Roma population also thrives in a small village near the city, called Hăşdat. The city contains many green gardens, and old trees flank the streets. The castle has been turned into a museum, following reconstruction. Cincis Lake, with tourist facilities, is located 15 km from the city. During the 20th century, Hunedoara increased its population to 86,000 inhabitants. The city used to contain the second largest steel works in Romania, but this has now closed down. However, the economy of the city is now benefiting from new investment.
Trains arrives only arrive at Hunedoara train station from Simeria. Simeria is the most important railway junction in Hunedoara County, with connections to Arad, Timisoara, Cluj-Napoca, Iasi and Bucharest.
Hunedoara Bus Station is located close to the railway station. For more information phone at +40254712320.
The city centre is relatively small with everything within walking distance. One can take also a taxi:
- Taxi-Avanti, ☎ .
- Cris-Taxi, ☎ .
- Turbo-Taxi, ☎ .
- Mobyl-Taxi, ☎ .
- Taxi-Rural, ☎ .
- 1 Hunyad Castle (Corvin Castle), Str. Curtea Corvinestilor nr. 1-3, ☎ . M 12:00-17:00; Tu-Sun 09:00-17:00. Hunyad Castle is believed to be the place where Vlad III of Wallachia (commonly known as Vlad the Impaler) was held prisoner for 7 years after he was deposed in 1462. The castle is a relic of the Hunyadi dynasty. In the 14th century, the castle was given to John Hunyadi Serb, or Sorb by Sigismund King of Hungary as severance. The castle was restored between 1446 and 1453 by his grandson John Hunyadi. It was built mainly in Gothic style, but has Renaissance architectural elements. It features tall and strong defense towers, an interior yard and a drawbridge. Built over the site of an older fortification and on a rock above the small river Zlasti, the castle is a large and imposing building with tall and diversely colored roofs, towers and myriad windows and balconies adorned with stone carvings. As one of the most important properties of John Hunyadi, the castle was transformed during his reign. It became a sumptuous home, not only a strategically enforced point. With the passing of the years, the masters of the castle had modified its look, adding towers, halls and guest rooms. The gallery and the keep - the last defense tower (called Ne boisa = Do not be afraid), which remained unchanged from Iancu de Hunedoara's time, and the Capistrano Tower (named after the Franciscan monk from the castle court) are some of the most significant parts of the construction. Other significant parts of the building are the Knights' Hall (a great reception hall), the Club Tower, the White bastion, which served as a food storage room, and the Diet Hall, on whose walls medallions are painted (among them there are the portraits of Matei Basarab, ruler from Wallachia, and Vasile Lupu, ruler of Moldavia). In the wing of the castle called the Mantle, a painting can be seen which portrays the legend of the raven from which the name of the descendants of John Hunyadi, Corvinus came. In the castle yard, near the chapel built also during Vlad The Third's ruling, is a well 30 meters deep. The legend says that this fountain was dug by twelve Turkish prisoners to whom liberty was promised if they reached water. After 15 years they completed the well, but their captors did not keep their promise. It is said that the inscription on a wall of the well means "you have water, but not soul". Specialists, however, have translated the inscription as "he who wrote this inscription is Hasan, who lives as slave of the giaours, in the fortress near the church". Adults Nov-Feb 20 lei, Mar Apr Sep Oct 25 lei, May-Aug 30 lei; students 5 lei; pensioners 10 lei; photo permit 5 lei; video permit 15 lei; foreign language guide 50 lei.
- Cinciș Dam (15 km from Hunedoara on the road to Toplița). On the site of the village with the same name. In 1962 the people from the village were relocated on a hill and the water of the dam covered the village with the cemetery and two churches. The lake has an area of 867 ha.
- Hunedoara Zoo, Str. Carol Davila, ☎ . Here you can see Siberian tigers, Carpathian bears, wolves, ponies, deer, foxes.
- Poiana Ruscă Mountains. Vast and easily accessible by foot or by car, the mountains are inhabited by an ancient population of Romanians, called pǎdureni (woodlanders). They have retained their culture and a sense of identity, and hold a number of festivals annually. The Romans mined marble in the quarry nearby.
- 2 Furnace of Govăjdia (Furnalul de la Govăjdia). It was the second industrial blast furnace in the world used for the extraction of iron.It was built in 1806. The first was built close to Hunedoara, in Toplița (1750). Both ovens can be visited today. It was the most modern melting furnace of iron ore in Europe of that time. Metal works from the iron melted here are standing today at the base of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. It was the first furnace in the world with a continuous production process. Until its appearance, the technological process of producing iron supposed to stop for some periods of time for loading and unloading furnaces.It was the first furnace in which the two operations could be performed simultaneously.The furnace worked until the end of the nineteenth century when there were iron plants in Hunedoara. The old furnace was declared a monument of industrial architecture.
- 3 St. Nicholas Church (Biserica Sfântul Nicolae), Aleea Ciocârliei. It was founded in Hunedoara by king of Hungary Matthew Corvin and although it was built only in 1458, is older than any of the churches founded by Stephen the Great. Carved wooden iconostasis of the church is the oldest in Romania, and two of the icons that adorn the iconostasis, are among the oldest in the country, each dating from the 15th century.
- Bowling. Hunedoara has one of Europe's most modern bowling alleys, that hosted the 2002 Bowling World Cup.
- Swim. 10:00-22:00. Two indoor swimming pools: one with a length of 25 metres and a depth of 1,90 metres for adults and another for children with a length of 15 metres and depth of 1 metre.
- 1 Beerbike, str. Ghe Lazar nr. 2, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 18:00-21:30. Visit the city in a funny way
- Kaufland, Str. Avram Iancu, nr. 9a, ☎ .
- Restaurant Ciuperca, Str. Carol Davila.
- Restaurant Colosseum, Str. Nicolae Bălcescu, nr.2, ☎ .
- Restaurant Rustic, Str Libertatii Nr 4, ☎ .
- [dead link] Restaurant Caro Cristur, DN 68B, Cristur, ☎ .
- Restaurant Corvinul Hunedoara, Strada Moldovei 8, ☎ .
- Restaurant Union, Bd. Dacia 17, ☎ .
- Restaurant Tiffany, Bd. Dacia 28 B, ☎ .
- Bar Diesel (Pub Retro), Str. Gheorghe Lazar, Nr. 2, ☎ . 16-02.
- Venezia, Bd. Corvin 7, ☎ .
- Chimono Prest, Bd. Corvin 7, ☎ .
- Luqe & Fredy, Str. Ion Luca Caragiale 6, ☎ .
- Hotel Heaven 3*, str. I. L. Caragiale, nr. 1 Bis, ☎ . All rooms have bathroom and TV (cable), internet. Pizzeria, bar, covered terrace. Parking lot. Prices: 120 lei single room, 140 lei double room.
- Hotel Rusca 3*, B-dul Dacia nr. 10, ☎ .
- Hotel Krystal 3*, Str.Pestisu Mare nr.48H, ☎ . Krystal Hotel is located in Hunedoara entry from Deva and has 17 rooms spread on 3 floors all equipped with the most modern facilities. The rooms are each equipped with bathroom, air conditioning, minibar, cable TV (47 channels) - LCD, free internet access, office. The hotel also benefits from a parking with approx. 20 spaces, a bar, and a terrace and outdoor pool.
- Hotel Maier 3*, Bd. Republicii 1A, ☎ .
- Hotel Batiz, ☎ .