Vythiri is 66 km (2 hours) from Kozhikode. It can be reached from Kerala state as well as from Karnataka state (from Mysore and Bangalore) or from Tamil Nadu State (Coimbatore or Ooty).
Railway Connectivity:- Nearest Railway station is Kozhikkode (Formerly Calicut) (Railway code: CLT) which is 68 km away from here.Kozhikkode is well connected to the important cities of India. From Kozhikkode frequent bus services (both Government owned (KSRTC) and Private bus services) are available.All the buses going to Kalpetta, Sulthan Bathery, Mananthavadi, Bangalore, Mysore, Gudalur and Ooty will stop at Vythiri. Approximate charge (as of Jan 2013) is ₹45-₹55 depending on the category of service. Private Taxi services are also available from Kozhikkode to Vythiri.
Airline Connectivity:- Nearest Airport is Calicut international airport (Karipur), which is 85-90 km from Vythiri. Private taxi services are available from airport to Vythiri. If travelling by bus, from airport get bus to Kozhikkode and then to Vythiri.
Bus connectivity:- Connected to Kozhikkode, Bangalore, Mysore and Ooty by Government buses. Online reservation can be done from the websites of Kerala RTC or Karnataka RTC sites.
The final lap of journey from Kozhikkode is through a ghat road with nine hair-pin bends. If you have motion sickness or related problems, take appropriate medications.
Tourist taxis are the most convenient way to travel around attractions, especially while travelling in a group. Most airports and railway stations have tourist taxi services that would take you anywhere you would want to go.
- 1 Banasura Dam (15 km northwest of Kalpetta). Considered to be the second largest earth dam in Asia, the Banasura project precincts are an ideal starting point for treks to the Banasura Peak. An interesting feature is a set of islands that were formed when the reservoir submerged the surrounding areas. Speed boating facility is available in this place.
- Chain Tree. Has a mysterious story behind it. The road up was built by an English engineer as per the information given to him by a local tribal youth. Once the route was made the tribe was killed by the English Army . Afterwards there were many accidents in this ghat road which was supposedly due to the activity of the "ghost or spirit" of the tribal. It is believed that his "spirit" is being chained to the tree. Most of the driver pray and do offerings as they pass by the tree to make their trip accident free. Another story goes, that when the British first came to Wayanad the locals helped them and it was the Adivasi Mahouts who took them to the top the mountains. As the Portuguese were close behind them, they did not want the Mahouts to go back and get the Portuguese. Hence they killed the Mahout and soon after that, there were many accidents in the area and the Mahout's spirit was believed to be the reason. A local priest contained the spirit to a tree and hung a chain over it so that the spirit would not escape. Hence the name.
- 2 Coffee Research Station, Chundale.
- 3 Chembra peak. At 2100 meters, the spectacular Chembra Peak located towards the southern part of Wayanad is the tallest summit in the region. Climbing this peak is a challenging mountaineering endeavour and would take a full day. The surrounding areas offer exceptional photo opportunities. Camping on the peak is a unforgettable experience.
- 4 Lakkidi. Hill station situated 700 m above sea level, at Thamarasseri Ghat pass. It is on the border of Wayanad district, and the view of the valley is superb. It can get a bit busy (and littered!) during peak season, though. Telephones Microwave station, Hotel Management College and couple of resorts are situate here.
- Mettupathy falls.
- 5 Padinjarathara. Famous for Bansura mini hydro project with the largest earth dam in India, and with a sanctuary and park with ever flowering trees.
- 6 Pookote Lake (Pookot Lake, Pookode Lake) (3 km south of Vythiri). It is a natural fresh water lake, brimmed with ever green mountains. The weather here is salacious; the scenic beauty, hypnotising and the nature, unspoiled. Pookode lake tourist resort in Vythiri is the most sought after tourist spot of Wayanad. There is an aquarium and a green house here. Boating facilities also are available. Spices and handicraft items are also arranged for sale at Pookode. The lake has an area of 8.5 ha and the maximum water depth is 6.5 m.
- 7 Suchipara falls. It is a thundering three-tiered waterfall. These falls capture nature at her best. This place is also famous for rock climbing. Best season is from June till January.
- 8 View Point at Lakkidi. Gives the magnificent view of Wayanad Ghat road. Located at the beginning of Wayanad district when coming from Kozhikkode .
- 9 Veterinary University, Pookode (2 km).
- Learn horseriding. The Veterinary University at Pookode teaches horse riding to the public. Fee ₹5,000. Course duration 24 days (one hour every day).
- Walnut Cakes, Lakkidi.
- Arya Bhavan Ladies Restaurant, Old Vythiri.
- Wayanad Gate Restaurant, Chundale.
- Best Resorts in Wayanad
- Annapara Home Stay, Vythiri, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Doubles ₹4,500.
- 1 Grace Residency, Vythiri, ☏ .
- Green View Hotel, Lakkidi.
- Haritham Dormitory, Chundale.
- Harriss Lodge (Vythiri). 400.
- Jungle Park Resorts, Lake Road, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. ₹3,500-₹8,000.
- Little Castle Dormitory, Near Police Station, Vythiri.
- Mehan Heights, Chundale.
- Petals Resort, Thariyode, Pozhuthana (23 km), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. ₹5,000.
- Raincountry Resorts, Lakkidi, ☏ , , .
- Sahara Inn, Old Vythiri.
- Suryagayathri Inn, Lakkidi.
- Vythiri nature resort, Lakkidi P.O, Wayanad, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. ₹12,000-₹30,000.
- 2 Wayanad Silverwoods Resorts, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Windflower Resorts & Spa (3 km), ☏ . Located on a beautiful hill with very quiet surroundings. ₹18,000.
- Winter Valley Hotel, Chundale, ☏ . good rooms with view, owner lives in the premises. ₹1,300.
- Vythiri National Park is nearby.