- Not to be confused with Kolkata, formerly Calcutta, a city in eastern India..
Kozhikode was the ancient capital of Zamorin kings until the British made it part of the Madras province. Formerly called Calicut, this city was frequented by traders from Arabia and Europe. The English word calico, a cotton textile, originated from this city's old name.
Kozhikode used to be a romantic location with the charm of centuries-old streets and the smell of local sweets in the air. Today, Kozhikode is a developed city with high tech malls and modern cafe's, but there still remains the purity of heritage.Many renown philosophers have titled kozhikode as the best place to live in. The city still has its charm left with wonderful people and cultures.
kozhikode has many important educational institutions including calicut medical college, Indian Institute of Management, National Institute of Technology etc.
Direct trains are available from Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Thiruvananthapuram. For railway enquiries, you can try contacting +91 4952701234, but it is very difficult to reach this phone number.
Buses are available from all South Indian cities.
Driving is tiresome as the roads are only two line and traffic blocks are very frequent. The people of Kozhikode are very polite except when they drive. Honking horns continuously is a fashionable pastime of the locals. Bangalore road is closed during night time.
Buses charge only ₹7.00 for five kilometres.
- City buses are green colored here and they are very punctual and cheap. All the city buses originate and terminate in the Mananchira Pond area. Buses going to Pavangad, Elathur, Nadakkavu areas originate from the Head Post Office side of Mananchira. Buses going to Medical College and Mavoor Road stop at the Income Tax side of Mananchira. Buses going to Feroke, Kallayi and Beypore stop at the Girls School side of Mananchira.
- Buses are very infrequent to the beach area. You have to walk the 2 km distance or take an auto-rickshaw.
- Private buses originate from the New Bus Stand on Mavoor Road (1 km). Private buses to nearby villages originate from the old Bus Stand at Palayam ( 1 km).
- Government buses originate from the New KSRTC Bus Station on Mavoor road. This modern bus station has 350,000 sq.ft.space for traveler amenities. Parking is provided for 270 cars. They have slow moving low floor air conditioned buses to nearby towns. You can make use of these buses for travelling inside the city.
Bus numbers for green city buses
Bhat Road Beach. 110B Chaliyam Seawalk. 215 Cheruvantta River.121 Kadalundy Jetty. 210K Kalipoika Boating. 113 Kappad Beach. 9 Karad River. 223 Karuvan Thuruthy River. 213 Kozhikode City. K.0 Malikadavu River. 12 Mambupazha Bridge.231P Manakkadavu River. 246 Mananchira Squire. K1 Mukkathu Jetty. 211K Odumbra Jetty.242 Payyanakkal Beach. 239 Puthiyappa Beach. 105 Thamarassery Hill. 8
By auto rickshaw
Autorikshaw drivers of Kozhikode have a reputation for honesty as they do not overcharge. The usual charge is ₹15.00 for every km. This meticulous honesty cannot be expected from Autorikshaw drivers outside the Malabar region.
Air conditioned taxis are available at ₹1,000 for a day. Look for them at the Railway Station or Mananchira area. Contact Taxi Stand. +91 495 2306023
Since the weather is hot throughout the year and the humidity quite high, an air conditioned vehicle is one thing you cannot economize here.
There are many rental companies offering cars with drivers or self-drive. Traffic blocks exceeding one hour are common. Keep away from Kallayi Road and Wayanad Road as traffic is heavy and dead-slow.
Walking is near impossible as traffic is erratic and heavy. Footpaths are rare or occupied by peddlers. The noise created by endless motorcyclists is unbearably prominent even in interior roads. The long beach road from Beypore to Elathur (16 km) is the only peaceful area to walk.
- 1 Art Gallery (1 km). Near Town Hall
- Elathur, Beautiful riverside village with an estuary (12 km). Vallikkattu Kavu is a 27 acre sacred grove in a swamp at Edakkara near Elathur. You can see monkeys, peacocks, wild boars, porcupines, wild hens, different kinds of butterflies and numerous species of orchids here. There is a species of herb here which has leaves in the shape of butterflies.
- 2 Kappad Beach (17 km). Vasco Da Gamma landed here in 1498 from Europe. There is a park and a memorial pillar. Visitors are rare as the new generation Indians are not bothered about colonial history and all that. An ancient temple on a hillock facing the sea is another attraction here.
- 3 Kirtads Museum, Chevarambalam. Tribal Research Station maintained by the government.
- 4 Kozhikode Beach (2 km). Aquarium, Esplanade, Radio Stations, Fishing villages, Ancient Mishkal Masjidh, Seafood restaurants and Lions Children's park.
- 5 Krishna Menon Museum & Art Gallery, East Hill (4 km). closed on Mondays. Ideal place for students of Indian History.
- 6 Mananchira Pond and Gardens (near the Railway Station). A sprawling park with many beautiful statues. Entrance is free but the gate is open only after 2 p.m. There are many historic buildings like the Commonwealth Company near the park. There is a circular mosque called 'Pattala Pally' on the southern side of the park. You can also have a walk into the crowded 'Mittayi Theruvu' shopping zone on the southern side of the park. The town hall, the art gallery and the crown theatre are on the western side of the pond. The Basel Evangelical Mission and Girls School are on the eastern side of the park. The park has 250 colonial style lamps posts, an artificial stream, a musical fountain, a music stage and an open air theater. The public library near the park has a huge collection of Malayalam and English books.
- Pazhassiraja Museum. closed on Mondays. Copies of megalithic monuments.
- 7 Planetorium (Regional Science Centre) (1 km). on Jaffer Khan colony road near new bus station. Regular shows are available only in the forenoons when busloads of schoolchildren arrive from adjoining towns.
- 8 Sarovaram Biopark- only for couples, Near Baby Hospital (2 km). 7 mangrove species, 29 mangrove associates and fauna ranging from protozoa to Otter. It is also a congenial habitat for 20 types of water birds. The area is 200 acres containing canal walkways, boating facilities, an Otter Park and a Butterfly Park. The outers section is beautifully tiled and lighted. It is a popular hangout of college couples. The inner section is undeveloped mangrove forest with walking tracks. The entrance ticket is ₹10 for the outer tiled section and additional ₹10 for the inner forest section.
- Gotheshwaram Beach Temple, Marad Beach (4 km). You can also visit nearby beach villages like Chakkum Kadavu, Kayyadi Thodu, Payyanakkal, Kayyadithode, Naduvattom, West Mahi, Thampi Road, andJhansi Village
- Jain Derasar. There are 2 temples inside the temple complex of which one is over 2500 years old and has 1000 pillars.
- Kizhakke Murikkunnu Bhagavathy Temple, V.K.Krishna Menon Road, Kallayi (5 km). The temple is situated on a beautiful hillock near an upmarket residential area, a pristine pond, green lawns and the scenic hilltop school.
- 9 Mishkal Masjidh, Kuttichira (2 km). 600 year old structure. Beautiful pond surrounded by several old buildings. The mosque is very photogenic only when you look from the other side of the pond. This four level mosque is built mostly of wood. The mosque has no cupolas or minarets and looks like a Hindu temple. Maybe, Kerala’s temple architecture influenced the architecture of old mosques in Kerala which have gopuram-style entrance arches and no minarets. Non-Muslims will need a special permission to enter the mosque.
- Narakath Bhagavathy Temple, Near Kerala Kaumudhi newspaper, Thondayad (3 km). silent place in the middle of the city.
- Shiva Temple, Thiruvannur (3 km). This ancient and beautiful Siva temple has an apsidal garbhagriha, decorated with typical Chola pillars and pilasters, panjaras and vyalimukhas. The central shrine has escaped any repair or change and is relatively well preserved.
- Sri Kandeshwaram Temple, Opp. New Bus Station (1 km).
- 10 Thali Temple, Palayam (1 km). Beautiful 14th-century temple and a second temple near a very big pond and vegetable market. The temple walls are elephant shaped.
- Thrikaipetta Subramanya Temple, Ponnenkottu Kunnu (opposite Cyberpark, Palazhy). 1,400-year-old temple. Now under active renovation work.
- City Walk One (4 km). Start from Fathima Hospital, take the narrow line opposite the hospital. Walk past Kerala NGO Union, Lakshmi Printers and Oyisca Youth Centre. Cross the culvert in the swamp, turn right, walk beyond the forest temple, Hajj House, Sunni House, again turn right to Chilli Malabar Restaurant and once again turn right to reach at the New Bus Station.
- City Walk Two (6 km route with thin traffic). Start from the new busstand. Take the road opposite to it, walk past Markaz Mosque and Samastha centre. Turn right towards More Supermarket, Planetarium and Science Centre. You enter Cherootty Nagar where you can get a nice cup of coffee at the roadside stall. Walk straight to Bhagavathy Temnple, Muthappan Forest, Balan K Nair Road and the Zoological Survey of India. The Brahmakumaris Meditation Centre and the Needle Acupuncture Clinic leads you to Spiinelly School and Redeemer Convent. You have reached Aqsa Juma Masjidh at St. Vincent Colony, and walk back to the new bus stand.
- Climbing a hill @ Govindapuram, Mankav (7 km). Take a bus to Govindapuram from Mananchira pond. Walk up the hill to Central School. Very good view of the entire city and Arabian sea . The views are terrific but nobody comes here other than the school people. Elderly people can also reach here by hiring an auto rikshaw from Mankav junction.
- Green Walk @ Iringadan Pally (4 km walk). Take a bus to Kovoor on Medical College route. Ask for the Iringadan Pally road. Walk in the company of spectacularly spacious expanse of paddy fields hidden between four main roads of the city. You can walk up to Poolakkadavu junction on the Mysore road. The locals have tastefully decided to convert this little road through the paddy fields to a busy street with deafening traffic. They will start the work by 2017. You can also get the best beef curry in the city only in this place, just for ₹40. It is available at a little restaurant even without a sign board. It is adjacent to Koyas Cycle Mart and Prabhakara Pharmacy at Poolakkadavu Junction near JDT, Vellimadukunnu. (1 pm to 9 pm). After dinner, you can continue walking on the Poolakkadavu river road, cross the river on the cute foot bridge and reach the village of Parambil Bazar from where you will get direct buses back to the city.
- North Beach walk (5 km). Start from the Nalam Gate, and as soon as you cross the railway gate the road forks into three. Choose the third one, walk past Caffe Coffee Day and Gateway Hotel. The Mayor Residence and Moidhu Museum are on your way. Enter Vellayil Road and walk to the beach. There is a very short sea bridge and the Vellayil Fishing Harbour there. When you reach the beach, turn right, you will go by Vellayil Police Station, Shanthi Nagar, Radio Mango, Puthiyappa, Vengaly, Elathur and Pavangad. Pavangad offers air conditioned buses back to the city.
- Park Walk, Mananchira Park (1 km). Well maintained and manicured garden around a clean pond. Very big lawn to relax. Open only after 2 p.m. Extremely crowded place.
- Public Library and Cafe (opp. Mananchira Park). Public Library, Audio library, Language laboratoary, Career Guidance center, Children's Library, International Cultural Center and Free Coffee.
- See an English film, Crown Theatre (1 km), ☎ . Near Railway Station. Two AC screens and a small snack bar inside. Hangout of the Indian elite.
- South Beach walk (8 km). Start from All India Radio on Kozhikode beach. Head south to Mohammedhali Beach. You can walk through a beautiful promenade and reach Francis Road junction within ten minutes. Continue walking on the beach road until you pass Kannanm Parambil cemetery, Kannam Parambil mosque, Nainan Valappil beach and finally the New Kothy bridge. When you cross the bridge, you reach Chakkukm Kadavu village. Proceed to Payyanakkal beach. Finally, ask for Panniyankara police station to get back to the main road. Come back by one of the green buses, they all take you to Mananchira pond junction.
- Walk @ Valiyangadi (3 km). Enjoy a walk in the ancient seaside market of Valiyangadi where Arabs and Europeans brushed shoulders a few centuries back. Even today, the businessmen in this ancient market include Hindus, Muslims, Jains, Gujarathis, Marwaris and Tamils. This market is not targeted by local tourists, as they are ignorant of its importance. Start from the back side of the railway station and enter Valiyangadi directly. Valiyangadi ends on the seashore, turn left to Gujarathi street and you can even see the 600 year old Mishkal Masjidh near Kuttichira pond, another 1 km from there.
- Watch 'Kalari' Martial Arts, C.V.N.Kalari Sangham (3 km). Special demonstrations can be organized. Sunday Holiday.
- Yoga and Meditation, Inner Harmony Osho Meditation Centre, ☎ . Mystic School, Moorth village, Malikadavu, Kozhikode
Run by Swamy Arulji
- Big Bazaar Supermarket, Opp. New Private Bus stand. (1 km), ☎ . For economy stuff.
- Focus Mall, Opp. New Private Bus Stand (1 km), ☎ . Sprawling 250,000 sq.ft. structure for upmarket jewellery, clothes and accessories. The Food Court @ Focus Mall contains one Dosa restaurant, one grill house, one Wimpys, one sandwich corner, one pizza ricotta, one coffee gallery, one chaat zone and one mufti-cuisine restaurant.
- Hi-Lite Mall, Palazhi, 8 km (1.4 million sq feet space). 200 branded shops, 32 escalators, 18 elevators, 8 cinemas, gaming zone and a food court. Be prepared for traffic snarls lasting for several hours that can trap you in the locality of the mall.
- Kairaly Handicrafts, MM Ali Road (1 km). Wooden models of elephants, boats and Kerala dancers.
- Kozhikodan Halva. This very sweet and colorful solid stuff made from maida (highly refined wheat) is available at a few shops near Palayam Junction and comes in various flavors, such as banana, ghee, coconut, cashew, date, tender coconut, pineapple and jack-fruit. However, karutha haluva (black haluva) made from rice is the most popular variety. If you are health conscious, simply keep away from all halvas.
- Pillai Snacks, Link Road Junction, Palayam. An early bird, Pillai Snacks pulls up its shutters at 3.30 during the wee hours of the morning and serves customers till 8:30 in the night on all days except on Sundays. It’s better to come in the morning to enjoy a breakfast of ‘Thattu Dosa’.
- R. P. Mall, Opposite New Private Bus Station (1 km), ☎ . Six level AC shopping complex with four cinemas and several shops selling clothes, jewellery and electronic goods.
- Swamy's Karumuru Bakery, Pottammal (4 km), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. For vegetarian snacks prepared by the Brahmin community.
- French Bakery and Hotel, Opp. Fire Station, Calicut Beach, ☎ . Situated in the old French territory.
- Ali Baba Thattukada, Near Palm Beach Apartments, South Beach. Kadukka nirachathu, pidikozhi nirachathu, bharani chicken, fried ice cream are some of the main dishes you can try from this place.
- Amma Restaurant, Puthiyara. famous for its spicy fish fry served with the afternoon meals. Located on a narrow byline just after the first bridge at S.K.Pottakkad road this restaurant serves customers from 12pm to 3 pm everyday except Sunday.
- Ashoka Tea Shop, Randam Gate. A favorite among foodies for their evening special upmaav and pappadam.
- Best beef in the city. Available at a little restaurant even without a sign board. It is adjacent to Koyas Cycle Mart and Prabhakara Pharmacy at Poolakkadavu Junction near JDT, Vellimadukunnu. 9 km from the city. (1 pm to 9 pm)
- Coffee House Kallai Road, Aradhana Lodge (1 km), ☎ .
- Coffee House Medical College, Near State Bank (9 km), ☎ . Good parking facility
- Focus Mall Food Court, opp. new bus station (1 km). for snacks and fast food.
- Major Restaurant. Beef biriyani made this ordinary looking hotel make a mark of its own in the food map of Calicut. Major hotel, which is open from 7 am to 10 pm, on all days of the week is near Marcus complex, on Jafferkhan colony road. Afternoon hours, when they serve their biriyani items are the best time to visit this restaurant, which has easy accessibility from Mavoor road.
- Medical College Coffee House (9 km). Good ambience. ample parking facility
- Pure South Vegetarian, Opp. Baby Hospital (3 km). for Masala Dosai, a fermented crepe made from rice batter, black lentils, potato and onions. ₹40. They also give Kerala style vegetarian lunch for ₹130
- Rahmath Hotel, Near Mathrubhumi. For very good beef biriyani.
- Saravana Hotel Vegetarian, Rajaji Road (2 km), ☎ .
- Thripthi Restaurant, Devagiri Building back side, Medical College Junction. Cute niche restaurant with parking yard.
Malabar cuisine is quite popular among gourmands. The mild flavored, gently cooked Malabar Biriyani are a must eat when visiting Calicut.
- Alakapuri Restaurant, Mohammedhali Road (for classical Kerala lunch.).
- Bombay Restaurant, Silk Street, Mananchira, ☎ . for Mussle Biriyani
- Cafe Coffee Day, Nalam Gate (2 km). Upmarket place for coffee, pastry and snacks. Relaxed atmosphere. Popular hangout of foreign tourists. ₹59 for coffee and Punjabi samoosa.
- 1 Chiking Fried Chicken (ChiKing), opp. Kalyan Silk, Medical College Road (5 km), ☎ .
- Chilli Malabar, Kovoor (8 km), ☎ . Parking facility
- Chunky Chicken, Opp. Federal Towers, ☎ .
- Cocoa Nut Restaurant, Hotel Hyson, Mavoor Road Junction, ☎ . Good ambiance, well set tables. Kozhikode style vegetarian lunch. ₹160.00
- Dominos, Mavoor Road Junction (1 km).
- Eizen Berg`s Restaurant, Near Mananchira Post Office, ☎ . 10 am to 8 pm.
- Fly Down Restaurant, Arayidathu Palam (3 km), ☎ . No Parking facility
- Garlic Routes, Naalam gate, ☎ . Open from 12 pm to 11 pm. This place is on Kannur Road, near to Fourth Railway gate. Chicken mandhi, roasted chicken, stuffed spinach cheddar grilled chicken, masala grilled prawns are some of the dishes you should try.
- Ikkas Restaurant, Red Cross road, ☎ .
- Ivy-Nine Restaurant, Malaparamba junction. Parking space for big buses.
- Paragon Restaurant, near KTC, Kannur Road, ☎ . Famous for mutton biriyani. Extremely crowded during lunch hours. No Parking facility
- Sagar Restaurant, Mavoor Road (2 km). famous for Biriyani.
- Sana Restaurant, Devagiri College Road, Near Medical College. Good ambiance with view of a beautiful coconut grove. Parking facility available
- Span Restaurant, Jail Road, ☎ .
- Thekkeppuram Food King (Sout Beach), ☎ . , This restaurant is works from 3:30 pm in the evening to 11 pm on all days of the week. Come in the evening to munch on the Pazham Nirachathu, Irachi Pathiri, Meenunda or Chicken Mammos and Unnakkaya- some of the special preparations of this restaurant.
- Yara Restaurant, opposite KSRTC bus station (1 km), ☎ .
- Zains Restaurant, Convent Road (1 km). for Biriyani
- Gates Restaurant, Malabar Gate Hotel (Ram Mohan Road), ☎ . 0730 - 2230. Serving buffet breakfast, À la carte lunch, and dinner.
- Mezben Restaurant
Rs. 800 per head average
- Azad Cool Bar, Opp. League Office, ☎ .
- Baskin Robbins, S.K.Temple Road (2 km). for icecreams
- Cafe Coffee Day, Naalaam Gate, 2 km (Hangout of foreign visitors), ☎ . Upmarket AC coffee shop for snacks and pastry. Non-AC verandah seatings are also available.
- Coconut Cafe, Metro Tourist Home, near KSRTC, Mavoor Raod. (1 km).
- Downtown Cafe, Naalaam Gate, ☎ . Youth hangout with private seats.
- Escapo Coffee Shop, Everything supermarket, opp Bishop's House, Malapparamba. (7 km).
- Sixth Avenue Cafe, Opp. Taj Hotel, ☎ .
- Amrutha, Mavoor Road, near New Bus Stand. No Parking facility
- Hotel Sasthapuri, M.M. Ali Road, near Palayam Bus Stand. Sasthapuri has a roof garden which opens from 5PM and is the only decent place (other than Sea Queen) that allows you to smoke while seated.
- Sea Queen, Beach Road. Has a separate smoking area and is the one of the only decent places that lets you smoke while seated.
- The Captain's Cabin in Fortune Hotel, Kannur Road, +91 11-45566666.
- The Gateway Hotel (formerly known as Taj Residency, Calicut), P.T.Usha Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Kadavu Resorts, N.H Bye Pass Road, Calicut.
There is no night life in Kozhikode and nobody understands the word 'nightlife'. The city becomes deserted by 10 pm because of unknown reasons. Maybe the potential for political violence or the shortage of transportation to the villages may be the reasons for this. In bigger cities, the silence of midnight is achieved by 4 a.m., but in Kozhikode, midnight comes by 12.00 midnight sharp. That is a sort of achievement. A very limited kind of nightlife is now visible in the Thondayad area. The 13-km road to Ramanattukara has 32 restaurants offering chicken, kada, beef, prawn, karimeen, aylahead and meenmutta. There are also many roadside stalls providing cheap items.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Under ₹ 750|
|Splurge||Over ₹ 3,000|
Traffic snarls make day time travel very difficult in most parts of the Kozhikode city. It is advisable to take a room in a hotel near the beach where there are no traffic issues. The 18 km road between Beypore and Pavangad lies entirely on the beach and has very light traffic.
- Apex Inn, Beach road, near League House, ☎ . ₹500.
- Aradhana Tourist Home, Near Rly Stn, ☎ . Vegetarian restaurant is attached. ₹800.
- Delma Tourist Home, Near KSRTC (2 km), ☎ . ₹500.
- Easwari Lodge, Near Beach Hospital (silent place), ☎ . , ₹300.
- Gulf Star Dormitory, Gulf Bazar, Mavoor Road (2 km), ☎ .
- Hibra Lodge, Kamath Jewellery Road, near Railway Station, ☎ . ₹200.
- Hemlet Hotel, opp.KSRTC bus station, Mavoor Road, ☎ . Yara restaurant attached. ₹750.
- Imperial Lodge, Palayam, ☎ . Coffee house is attached. ₹200.
- Jaya Lodge, Tali, ☎ . , Good parking facility ₹500.
- Metro Tourist Home, Mavoor Road, ☎ . ₹600.
- Metro Towers, Near Railway Station, ☎ . ₹300 for rooms, ₹170 for dorm.
- N. C. K. Lodge, Mavoor Road, ☎ . Coffee house is attached. ₹400.
- Nalanda Hotel, Beach area., ☎ . Conference facility. ₹340.
- Railway Retirement Room (inside the railway station). Show your train ticket. ₹200.
- Safa Lodge, Near New Bus Stand, ☎ . ₹400.
- Select Residency, Near Railway Station, Oyitti Road, ☎ . ₹550.
- Shanthi Tourist Home, Thali (silent place), ☎ . , ₹200.
- Alakapuri, Mohammed Ali Road, 2 km (classic building inside the dirty market), ☎ .
- Asma Towers, Mavoor Road (3 km), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Conference facility is available. ₹3,000.
- Beach Hotel, Near Corporation Office (very near the beach), ☎ .
- Calicut Towers, Opp New Bus Stand, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A favorite hotel of the Arab visitors. Mosque, Conference facility is available.. Crowded shopping area. ₹1,500.
- Khaleej Residency, Near MIMS hospital (inside the crowded hospital town of Mankav), ☎ .
- Maharani Hotel, Taluk Road, Puthiyara, Calicut 4 (peaceful surroundings), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. ₹1,000.
- Paramount Tower, Town Hall Road (1 km), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. ₹3,000.
- [dead link]Rennaissance Hotel, ☎ . ₹800.
- Royal Palace Hotel, ☎ . ₹800.
- Vinod Villa Homestay, Near Kommeri Service Bank, ☎ . , ₹2,500.
- Gateway Taj Hotel, Beach road, 2 km (business hotel with professional service), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Conference facility is available.
- Hotel West Way, West Nadakkavu, 3km (photogenic structure), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. ₹4,200.
- Kadavu Resort, Azhinjilam, Airport Road (15 km), ☎ , e-mail: , WelcomHotelRavizKadavu@itchotels.in. Riverside property with Ayurvedic Spa.
- Area code international, +91 495.
- Area code national, 0495.
- Govt Information Office, ☎ .
- Govt Tourist Office, ☎ .
- Internet Cafes. There is one air -conditioned internet cafe on the second floor of the Devagiri building, on Devagiri college road near Calicut Medical College. The speed is excellent and they charge ₹40 per hour.
The people of Malabar area are on the whole very conservative, but recently, local Moral Policing groups have made it a fashion to attack young unmarried couples going out together. Even married couples were attacked under the assumption that they are a pair in love. In 2016, a man was killed in Mankada, Malappuram for visiting his girlfriend in the night. A restaurant known as a student hangout was attacked by a vigilante group recently. So bring your passport, air ticket and marriage certificate. Avoid words like girlfriend, living together and LGBT.
Long distance buses originate from the KSRTC bus station on Mavoor road and it is better if you to reserve a ticket six hours before travel. Trains are available to all Indian cities if you can make an advanced reservation at least three days before travel. There is a Silverline bus from Kozhikode to Kottayam at 8.15 pm. It stops only twice before the destination and reservations can be made at http://www.keralartc.com/
- Kannur — beach city, fort, Theyyam dance, 92 km.
- Malampuzha dam and gardens, 134 km.
- Meppadi hills, tea estates, trekking possibilities and fine resorts. 79 km.
- Mysore city. lots of palaces and lots of gardens. 177 km.
- Ooty, major hill stations with many fine hotels, 157 km.
- Beypore, sea walk, port and jankar ride, 13 km.
- Feroke, Kadalundy bird sanctuary and Chaliyam fishing village, 13 km.
- Kondotty, Arimbra Hills and old mosques, 28 km.
- Kunnamangalam Mountains, Waterfalls and a Hanging bridge, 15 km.
- Thamarassery, plantations, valley views and Tusharagiri waterfall, 30 km.
- Vatakara Museums, Kuttiady dam and Peruvannamuzhi Gardens, 50 km.