Wailuku, located on Maui, is the seat of Maui County. Unlike the commercial center of Kahului, Wailuku has a small-town plantation feel centered around its Main Street. Several buildings in Wailuku are registered as historic places. It is also the gateway to nearby Iao Valley and Iao Needle.
- Kahului Airport is a major airport about 10 minutes away, in nearby Kahului. This airport has flights to many Hawaiian Islands, mainland, Alaska, and Vancouver, Canada.
- Honolulu International Airport, while not on Maui, is the most common way to get to Wailuku. Flights from around the world fly to here, and then take a short flight to the Kahului Airport.
From Kahului, follow Kaahumanu Avenue (Hwy 32) west. Kaahumanu Avenue turns into Main Street after passing an overpass and viaduct. To get to Iao Valley, continue past High Street (Hwy 30) for about 0.5 mile, then take the fork in the road onto Iao Valley Road.
Iao Valley State Park (about 3 mi/5 km W of downtown Wailuku on Iao Valley Rd). Daily 7AM-7PM. Known for the natural rock formation known as Iao Needle, the state park is also the site of several historic battles and the burial place of important chiefs. No hiking allowed in the park except on paved paths. Free.
- Bailey House Museum/Maui Historical Society, 2375-A Main St (just past the intersection with High St), ☎ . M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Built in 1833 on the royal compound of high chief Kahekili, and the site of a female seminary and the home of artist Edward Bailey until 1888, the Bailey House now serves as a museum showcasing Hawaiian artifacts, period furnishings, and the paintings of Edward Bailey. $5, $4 seniors, children 7-12 $1, under 6 free.
- Tasty Crust, 1770 Mill St (near the intersection of Kaniela and Mill Sts), ☎ . Don't let the surroundings or the decor deter you (it's in the middle of an old-style industrial park, and the decor is old-style Americana). This restaurant is very popular among local Mauians. The big draw at this restaurant is breakfast; their tagline is "World Famous Pancakes." Less than $10.
Alas, Ooka Super Market, once the main supermarket in Wailuku, is no more. The only full-service supermarket in Wailuku is Sack N Save, at 790 Eha Street (corner of Eha St and Waiehu Beach Road). You can find a smaller selection at Takamiya Market on Market Street; they also serve a wide selection of ready-to-eat food. Branches of Foodland, Safeway, and Whole Foods Market are about 10 minutes away in Kahului.
- Banana Bungalow. A very fun and cheap hostel in Wailuku. Good place to meet people.
- The Northshore Hostel - Maui (Northshore Hostel), 2080 W Vineyard St (Near Church and Vineyard Sts), ☎ . Check-in: 5PM, check-out: 10AM. Male and female dormitory spaces in air-conditionded rooms, as well as quiet private rooms. Private rooms have either one double bed (full) or one double bed + one single bed (twin). The four bathrooms are available to all, but kept clean The kitchen is newly remodeled and modern. $25.