Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > East of England > Essex (England) > Frinton-on-Sea
Frinton-on-Sea is a small seaside town in the Tendring District of Essex. It is part of the Parish of Frinton and Walton and had a population of 19,039 according to the 2001 census. The parish consists of the towns of Frinton-on-Sea and Walton-on-the-Naze, together with the villages of Kirby-le-Soken, Kirby Cross and Great Holland. Connaught Avenue (the main shopping street) was historically known as the 'Bond Street' of East Anglia.
The town has a claim on the worlds first Wireless Telegraph School established in 1901 with the opening of a residential school for training engineers for Marconi's International Marine Communication Co. In 1934 an estate of Art Deco houses was planned designed by Oliver Hill but was never completed and 1936 building work stopped. There several of the original Art Deco properties remaining.
White's Directory of Essex 1848 "FRINTON, a small parish on the sea-coast, 2½ miles South South West of Walton on the Naze, has only 44 inhabitants, 470 acres of land, four houses, and a few cottages, though it is said to have anciently had a village, which was washed away by the ocean, at least two centuries ago, and since then the sea has continued to encroach annually upon the land, by undermining the cliffs. Pyrites used formerly to be gathered on the beach, for the manufacture of copperas. Miss Charlotte Lushington is lady of the manor of Frinton, Skyrman’s fee, and the other principal landowners are Rt. Hills, Esq., E. H. Reynards, Esq., and the representatives of the late I. S. Brown. The old Hall was pulled down about 1720, and its site is now in the sea. The present Hall is occupied by a farmer, and the three other houses are the Parsonage (a small cottage, occupied by a labourer,) the Wick, and the Battery House. In one of them lived the celebrated Cornelius de Tulbury, who, among other exploits, swallowed considerable quantities of poison without injury. The famous Capt. Bushell, distinguished for his extraordinary success in fishing for wrecks, was long resident here. Of the ancient Church, standing on the cliff, about 300 yards from the sea, only part of the west end remains, the remainder having been destroyed by a storm in 1703. The rectory, valued in K. B. at £7. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £180, is in the patronage of E. H. Reynard, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Vyvian Luke, for whom the Rev. J. L. Kirby, of Little Clacton, officiates. The glebe is 28A., and the tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £150 per annum. The Farmers are, Richard Stone, Hall; Joseph Sadler, Lodge; and Charles Theedam, Wick."
Follow the A12 from London. Turn off just beyond Colchester on the A120, then the A133, then follow the signs to Weeley, then the B1033 to Frinton. Turn right when you arrive at the railway, level crossing roundabout.
The railway station is served by one train per hour between Colchester and Walton-on-the-Naze, with a few peak-time services to and from London. However, to reach the station from London outside peak hours, you will need to change trains at either Thorpe-le-Soken or Colchester. From the station, it is a 15-minute walk (0.75 miles) to the esplanade and the beach via Connaught Avenue.and eveni
Best by foot, but local buses run every 30 minutes between Walton and Clacton, and every two hours between Walton and Colchester. All buses stop close to the station, just outside the crossing gates.
- The beach. swimming or sun bathing in the summer
- Every summer there is a respected Summer Theatre
- An annual Literary Festival around October.
- An annual Fun Run around May.
The main street, Connaught Avenue, is home to many charity shops, second-hand bookshops, antiques centres etc. There is a distinct lack of any typical high-street chain stores, although there are both Co-op and Greggs stores within the town centre. The Triangle shopping center on the outskirts of Frinton houses two more sizeable supermarkets - a Fiveways and an Iceland.
- Lock and Barrel, 28 Connaught Avenue, ☎ . Frinton's only pub inside the gates
- The Rock Hotel, The Esplanade, ☎ .