Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Wangdue Phodrang (district))
Western Bhutan is a region in Bhutan.
- 1 Chukha — now called Mebisa
- 2 Gedu
- 3 Haa
- 4 Khuruthang
- 5 Paro
- 6 Phuentsholing
- 7 Punakha
- 8 Thimphu
- 9 Tsimasham — the small administrative headquarters of Chukha district
- Haa Valley
- 1 Jigme Dorji National Park
- 2 Jigme Khesar Strict Nature Reserve
- 3 Phobjikha - a valley famous for black necked cranes.
The predominant ethnic group in Western Bhutan are Ngalops, who are generally followers of the Kagyu tradition of Buddhism and tend to be taller than people in other parts of the country. Another characteristic of Western Bhutan is that the cities and towns are built besides rivers in wide valleys.
Dzonghka is the predominant language of the area, though English is common in Thimphu and Phuentsholing.
- Gantey Monastery in Phobjikha - an important monastery in the Nyingma sect of Buddhism and the main seat of the Pema Lingpa tradition.
- Paro Taktshang Monastery (Tiger's Nest) in Paro - one of the most important Buddhist sites in the country, and Guru Rinpoche visited here on his second visit to Bhutan. The temple is built on a 1,200 meter cliff in the Paro valley and is Bhutan's most well known sacred site.
Outside the cities, which are listed separately, most eateries relevant to travellers are on the highways connecting Thimphu to the south and north of the country. Those of international standard are listed below:
- Divine Mid Way, Makaibari, Chukha District on the Phuentsholing-Thimphu Highway (Coming up half an hour after Gedu), ☏ +975 17357034. not fixed hours - early until very late at night (depending on customers). Excellent food. Quick and friendly service, Indian dishes (including dosa), Bhutanese cuisine. Indian Chai. Coffee. A favourite stop among travellers. Accommodation available. Stone bath and sauna Reasonable prices.
- Highway Host, Chukha on the Phuentsholing-Thimphu Highway (coming up, just after CHPC Main Gate), ☏ +975 77778282. 7AM-10PM. A large modern restaurant. Cafe. Bhutanese and Western dishes. Reasonable prices.