Wanning (万宁, Wànníng) is a city on the east coast of China's Hainan Island.
The city has been substantially influenced by a wave of Overseas Chinese who immigrated to Wanning from Southeast Asia during the mid-20th century. This is particularly evident in the Xinglong area where most of them originally settled. Xinglong is one of the main tourist areas in Wanning. It is especially famous for its coffee.
Wanning's coastal areas are also quite well-known and compete with Lingshui and Sanya. One specific coastal area, namely Riyue Bay (or Sun and Moon Bay) has emerged as the surfing capital of China and hosts regular surfing events and competitions.
The closest airport is the Qionghai-Bo'ao Airport in the city of Qionghai. From there, you can take a bus or taxi to Qionghai Railway Station and then transfer to a train heading to Wanning. Qionghai-Bo'ao Airport is a small airport, however. Generally speaking, it's easier to get a flight to Haikou or Sanya. The airports in both Haikou and Sanya have their own railway stations with direct train services to Wanning.
There are two railway stations in Wanning:
- 1 Wanning Railway Station (万宁站), Jianshe North Road (建设北路). Wanning's main railway station. Unusually for Hainan, the station is very close to the city center.
- 2 Shenzhou Railway Station (神州站), National Highway 98, Liji Town (礼纪镇98国道). This station is closer to Xinglong and the coastal resort areas. Train services, however, are less frequent compared with Wanning Station.
- 3 Wanning Bus Station (万宁车站), Wanzhou Avenue (万州大道), ☏ +86 898 62222256. Has bus services to most major towns and cities on the island.
- 4 Xinglong Bus Station (兴隆车站), 24 Xinchezhan Road (新车站路24号), ☏ +86 898 62555598. Mainly has bus services to Haikou and Sanya.
Bus services also link Sanya to Wanning's coastal resort areas, including Riyue Bay and Shimei Bay. However, these places have no formal bus stations, so if you want to go back the same way, you will need to hail a bus from the side of the road.
Pratically all tourist destinations in the city can be reached by public bus. Being a small city, however, the buses don't run as often as they do in Haikou or Sanya. Some bus services only run once every 40 to 60 minutes and some only operate a few times a day.
Taxis and motorized pedicabs are also available.
- 1 Dongshan Ridge (东山岭), Wancheng Town (万城镇) (on the eastern side of the city; bus no. 2 and tourist bus no. 3), ☏ +86 898 62222269, firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:30-17:00, no tickets sold after 16:30. One of the few sacred mountains on Hainan Island. Buddhists have been worshipping at the temples here since the Song Dynasty. The largest temple is the Dongling Temple (which as of August 2020 is closed for repairs). The other main temple is the Chaoyin Temple. Visitors can get around the park using the ropeway and the sightseeing cars, but most people with a reasonable level of fitness should be able to get around just by walking, as the park isn't very big. ¥50 (adults), ¥25 (children under 1.2 meters and adults aged over 70).
- 2 Riyue Bay (日月湾), Hainan Circular Expressway (海南环岛高速) (Xinglong Bus no. 5). The surfing capital of Hainan, if not the whole of China.
- 3 Shenzhou Peninsula (神州半岛), Binhai Avenue, Dong'ao Town (东澳镇滨海大道) (Xinglong Bus no. 6 and tourist bus nos. 2; there is also a special circle-route bus that travels around the peninsula). The Shenzhou Peninsula has more frequent bus services than the other coastal resort areas.
- 4 Shimei Bay (石梅湾), Haitian Road (海田路) (Xinglong Bus nos. 5 and 8).
- 5 Xinglong Coffee Valley (兴隆咖啡谷), Michang Xingxiang Road, Xinglong Farm (兴隆农场米厂兴香路) (Xinglong Bus no. 2), ☏ +86 898 62252223, email@example.com. 08:00-18:00. A coffee plantation that has been turned into a tourist attraction. Includes a small museum about the history of the coffee industry in Xinglong (not to be confused with the shop that calls itself a 'museum'). There are also many cafes where you can sample the coffee and other products grown here. Free.
- 6 Xinglong Tropical Botanical Garden (兴隆热带植物园), National Highway 223, Xinglong (兴隆镇223国道) (Xinglong Bus nos. 3 and 7, and tourist bus nos. 3), ☏ +86 898 62554410, firstname.lastname@example.org. 07:30-18:00, no entry after 17:45. Established in the 1950s, the Xinglong Tropical Botanical Garden has around 3000 species of tropical and subtropical plants. ¥40.
- 7 Xinglong Tropical Garden (兴隆热带花园), Xingmei Avenue, Xinglong (兴隆镇兴梅大道) (Xinglong Bus no. 7), ☏ +86 898 62571666, email@example.com. As of August 2020, the garden is temporarily closed to visitors. It is normally open from 07:30 to 18:00. Mainly devoted to tropical flowering plants. ¥60.
Xinglong Tropical Botanical Garden and Xinglong Tropical Garden are two different gardens and should not be confused. The former is generally the most popular one.
- 1 Kangle Garden Golf Club (兴隆康乐园高尔夫俱乐部, HNA Kangle Spa & Golf Resort), Xinglong (兴隆), ☏ +86 898 62576996. Features three 18-hole golf courses. Prices start from around ¥800.
- 2 The Dunes at Shenzhou Peninsula (神州高尔夫球会), Shenzhou Peninsula Tourism Area, Dong'ao Town (东澳镇神州半岛旅游度假区), ☏ +86 898 36220000 (reservations), +86 898 36215001 (membership enquiries), +86 13876280224 (golf college), firstname.lastname@example.org (reservations), email@example.com (membership enquiries). A 36-hole golf course designed by Tom Weiskopf, a professional American golfer. Non-members are charged ¥2480 to play or ¥950 if staying at the hotel.
- 3 Kokomo Beach Club (中国海南可可莫沙滩俱乐部), Shenzhou Peninsula Tourism Area, Dong'ao Town (东澳镇神州半岛旅游度假区), ☏ +86 898 62538688, Info@KOKOMO-BeachClub.com. Provides equipment and training for a wide range of water sports, including diving, rowing, sailing, jet skiing, paragliding and more.
- 4 Jalenboo Surf Club Riyue Bay Branch ("戒浪不"冲浪俱乐部日月湾店, also known as Chonghai Surf Club 冲海冲浪俱乐部 and previously known as Riyue Bay Surf Club 海南日月湾冲浪俱乐部), Riyue Bay (日月湾), ☏ +86 898 62254626, firstname.lastname@example.org. The club also has branches at Clearwater Bay in Lingshui and Moon Bay in Wenchang. Surfboards may be hired for between ¥100 and ¥150 per day. Kayaks are ¥150 for 2 hours or ¥300 for one day..
- 5 Shaka Surf Club (沙卡冲浪俱乐部), Riyue Bay (日月湾), ☏ +86 898 62275026, email@example.com. Surfboards may be hired for between ¥100 and ¥150 per day.
- 1 Cultural and Business Plaza (文化商业广场), 16 Renmin Middle Road, Wancheng Town (万城镇人民中路16号) (bus no. 7 and tourist bus no. 3), ☏ +86 898 36226699.
- 2 Joy Town (华亚世茂·欢乐城), Chengxi Road, Wancheng Town (万城镇城西路) (opposite the Wanning Railway Station; buses that stop here include bus nos. 2, 4, 7 and 8, as well as tourist bus nos. 1, 2 and 3), ☏ +86 898 62296666.
- 3 Wanning Capital Outlets (万宁首创奥特莱斯), 1 Lianxing Avenue, Xinglong (兴隆莲兴大道1号) (about 2km from Shenzhou Railway Station; several buses stop here including tourist bus nos. 1 and 3, as well as Xinglong Bus nos. 1, 6 and 7), ☏ +86 898 62271818. 09:00-21:00. A large upmarket shopping center specializing mainly in clothing and fashion accessories. A duty-free store can be found on the second floor.
Southeast Asian cuisine
- 1 Istana Indonesian Restaurant (伊萨娜印尼餐厅, 伊莎娜印尼餐厅), 5 Gongye Avenue, Xinglong (兴隆华侨农场工业大道5号), ☏ +86 898 62563458. 10:00-14:00, 17:00-21:00. One of the most popular restaurants in Xinglong. The restaurant is owned by an elderly woman who grew up in Indonesia.
- 2 Lau Pa Sat Singapore Restaurant (老巴刹新加坡餐厅), Qiaoxiang Road, Xinglong (兴隆华侨农场侨乡路), ☏ +86 898 62555986. 11:00-22:00.
- 3 Nanyang Fengwei - Joy Town Branch (南洋风味 华亚店), 2nd Floor, Joy Town, Chengxi Road, Wancheng (万城镇城西路华亚世茂·欢乐城), ☏ +86 898 62218666. The name may be translated as 'Taste of Southeast Asia'. A variety of different Southeast Asian foods are served here.
- 4 Nanyang Fengwei - Xinglong Branch (南洋风味 兴隆店), 32 Xingsheng Middle Road, Xinglong (兴隆华侨农场兴生中路32号), ☏ +86 898 62556663. 08:00-24:00. This is the oldest of Nanyang Fengwei's two branches.
- 5 Old Ship Captain's Ocean Themed Restaurant (老船长海洋主题餐厅), On the west side of the road, 230 meters south of Xingmei Apartments, Xingmei Avenue, Liji Town (礼纪镇兴梅大道兴梅公寓向南230米路西) (a couple of kilometers northwest of Shimei Bay), ☏ +86 898 62221199. 11:00-14:30, 17:00-22:00. A popular seafood restaurant.
Xinglong Coffee is very famous both within Hainan and on the Mainland. You should have no problems finding somewhere to try it, particularly of course in the Xinglong area, which has dozens of small cafes.
- 1 Qiaolong Grand Hotel (侨隆大酒店), Qiaolong Commercial Plaza, Wanlong Street (万隆街侨隆商业广场), ☏ +86 898 62253333. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 14:00. A 2-star hotel. Room rates start from around ¥130 per night.
- 2 Wanning Guest Hotel (万宁迎宾馆, Wanning Yingbin Hotel), Huanshi Er Dong Road, Chengbei New District, Wancheng Town (万城镇城北新区环市二东路) (at the south end of Renmin Park), ☏ +86 898 32029911. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. The only 5-star hotel in Wanning's central urban area. Room rates start from around ¥480 per night.
- 3 Forest Inn Riyue Bay Surfing Branch (森林客栈万宁日月湾冲浪店), 300 meters from the Riyue Bay Exit (日月湾出口300米处), ☏ +86 898 62531111. Check-in: 16:30, check-out: 12:00. A 3-star hotel. Room rates start from around ¥380 per night.
- 4 Sunac Legend Hotel (万宁融创日月湾传奇精品酒店), Riyue Bay Tourism Area (日月湾旅游度假区), ☏ +86 898 62216888. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A 3-star hotel. Room rates start from around ¥390 per night.
- 5 Four Points By Sheraton Shenzhou Peninsula (神州半岛福朋喜来登酒店), Shenzhou Peninsula Tourism Area (神州半岛旅游度假区), ☏ +86 898 62538838. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. A 5-star hotel. The hotel operates a shuttle bus from Sanya Phoenix International Airport. Guests who wish to use the shuttle bus are required to make a booking beforehand and pay a fee of ¥100. Room rates start from around ¥400 per night.
- 6 Zhaolin Grand Hotel (万宁朝林松源酒店), Building 6, No. 1 Poly Peninsula, Shenzhou Peninsula, Dong'ao Town (东澳镇神州半岛保利▪半岛1号6号楼), ☏ +86 898 62279199, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A 5-star hotel. Room rates start from around ¥660 per night.
- 7 Le Méridien Shimei Bay Beach Resort & Spa (石梅湾艾美度假酒店), Shimei Bay Tourism Area (石梅湾旅游度假区), ☏ +86 898 6252 8888. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. A 5-star luxury resort. Room rates start from around ¥820 per night.
- 8 The Westin Shimei Bay Resort (石梅湾威斯汀度假酒店), 1 Binhai Avenue, Shimei Bay Tourism Area (滨海大道1号石梅湾旅游度假区), ☏ +86 898 36222222. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. A 5-star luxury resort. The resort operates a complimentary shuttle bus from Sanya Phoenix International Airport. An advance booking is required to use the shuttle bus. Room rates start from around ¥840 per night.
- 9 Double Tree Resort By Hilton Hainan Lakeside (海南兴隆希尔顿逸林滨湖度假酒店), No. 2 Xingmei Avenue, Xinglong (兴隆镇兴梅大道2号), ☏ +86-898-62266666. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. A 5-star luxury resort. Room rates start from around ¥500 per night.
- 10 Ramada Hot Spring Holiday Hotel (万宁依云华美达温泉度假酒店), Building B4, Victoria Villa Area, Kanghui Avenue, Xinglong (兴隆惠康大道维多利亚别墅区B4栋), ☏ +86 20 86009099 (reservations), +86 898 62221186 (enquiries). Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A 4-star hotel. Room rates start from around ¥300 per night.