Washburn is a city located on the shore of Lake Superior's Chequamegon Bay in Northwest Wisconsin that offers multiple outdoor recreational opportunities, a spectacular cultural life, and a relaxed atmosphere.
With the recent addition of numerous passing lanes between Ashland and the Twin Ports, the impact of the lack of any 4-lane highways in and out of town (save for a small stretch of U.S. 2 and WI 13 west of town) has been lessened somewhat. The major routes to the city include:
- From the west, U.S. Highway 2 via Iron River (27 miles), Superior (65 miles) and Duluth, MN (70 miles). Also connecting to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul via Interstate 35 (215 miles).
- From the north, WI Highway 13 via Washburn (11 miles) and Bayfield (23 miles)
- From the east, U.S. Highway 2 via Ironwood, MI (38 miles) and Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- From the south, WI Highway 13 via Mellen (24 miles) and Park Falls (60 miles)
Take the Bart bus, or you could just walk because everything is by each other. You also can bike around. You could boat or canoe out to island or nearby towns. Most likly you would want to bring your own car because travel would be faster and easy.
The many murals that Ashland's artists have painted on the side of landmark buildings.
Lake Superior. It's the biggest fresh water lake in the world (by surface area).
The local parks. There are several parks in town with beautiful views. More info at http://www.ashlandbaydays.com/Website/Parksnbeaches.pdf [dead link]
Ashland is a gateway to year-round outdoor recreation. There's inland and Great Lakes fishing and boating, hunting, hiking, cross-country and downhill skiing, snowmobiling and dog sledding, and more seasonal festivals in the area than you can shake a stick at.
- Big Top Chautauqua. Regional and national musical performers.
- Bay Theatre, 420 Main St West, ☎ . 6 theaters, shows 7 days a week with matinees on Saturday and Sunday.
- Washburn IGA, 226 West Bayfield St, ☎ . At the Washburn IGA you can find a variety of good food and a home town deli.
- Outdoor Allure, 1813 West Bayfield St, ☎ . At the Outdoor Allure you can find all the fishing baits and tool to have success on the bay.
- Holiday Station store, 606 Bayfield St, ☎ . At the Holiday Station and store you can buy food for the road and pump gas at the same stop.
- Leino's Gas & Goods, 137 West Bayfield St, ☎ . At Leino’s and can get a wide range of goods to go along with your gas.
- Dairy Queen. From cones, sundaes, shakes, and blizzards, Dairy Queen has your favorite ice cream treats for a hot summer day.
- Good Thyme Restaurant, 77180 Wisconsin 13, ☎ . If you are looking for something a little more “classy”, Good Thyme Restaurant has exactly what you are looking for with their delicious seasonal specials and fine cuisine.
- Steak Pit Inc, 125 Harbor View Dr, ☎ . A locally owned and operated steakhouse featuring fresh meats and local fish over viewing the beautiful Chequmegon Bay.
- Time Out Restaurant, 4 West Bayfield St, ☎ . A popular destination among locals for tasty (and affordable) breakfast meals. Also serves lunch and dinner along with daily specials.
- 'Hugo's Pizza, 905 W Bayfield St, ☎ . If traditional pizza is what you crave, Hugo’s is the place for you! They offer a wide variety of freshly made pizza combinations, along with a complete traditional menu including items such as burgers, sandwiches, and appetizers.
- Dalou's Bistro, 310 East Bayfield St, ☎ . Dalou’s Bistro features a variety of pizzas and delicious sandwiches prepared in their signature wood fire oven.
- Coco Artisan Breads, 146 West Bayfield St, ☎ . Coco’s is a local bakery that has a wide variety of fresh baked goods and breads each and every day. They also specialize in soups, sandwiches, and desserts.
- North Coast Coffee, 509 West Bayfield St, ☎ . A locally owned and operated coffeehouse with a wide selection of coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, teas, and baked goods.
- Patsy's Bar, 328 West Bayfield St, ☎ . Looking to unwind after a long day out on the lake? Patsy’s Bar is a local bar that serves a wide variety of alcoholic beverages that you may want to enjoy. They also feature a “bar menu’ that includes burgers, tacos, and appetizers.
- Super 8 Washburn, Harbor View Drive, ☎ . The motel features free High Speed Wireless Internet, free SuperStart breakfast, hairdryers, AM/FM Clock Radios, and 24 inch televisions with HBO.
- North Coast Inn and Chalets, 26 West Bay Street, ☎ . Features 18 motel and housekeeping units. A heated shed is available with tools for sporting equipment repairs.
|Routes through Washburn|
|Superior ← Bayfield ←||N S||→ Ashland → Marshfield|