The city of Peoria's CityLink bus system makes a stop at Sunnyland Plaza, in the Sunnyland area of Washington.
Just west of Washington, the city of Peoria is home to a regional airport that receives flights from around the country.
U.S Route 24 passes on the outskirts of Washington.
Amtrak has a station in Bloomington-Normal, about 50 minutes southeast of Washington.
While there is not a ton of things to do in Washington, there is still a decent amount. If you're in the mood for a movie, check out Carmike Sunnyland Cinema 10. They almost always have all recently released movies showing.
Plaza Lanes is a good place for bowling. You can reserve lanes online if you want to make sure that you're able to bowl when you want to. The owners of Plaza Lanes are also working on moving away from only bowling and expanding the place into a full-blown "family center." Plaza Lanes also has a bar and grill.
A great place to get some exercise is Farmdale Reservoir, maintained by the US Army Corps of Engineers. There is about 20 miles of trails here some (or all) of which are good for hiking, biking, horseback-riding, and cross-country skiing (seasonal).
You can also be active outside by making use of the Washington Recreational Trail. This walking, jogging, and biking path runs for about 3-4 miles from N. Cummings Lane to N. Main Street.
Golfers will be glad to know that Washington is home to three golf courses. These are Hillcrest Golf Center Inc. (located on Washington Road; also has a small miniature golf course), Quail Meadows Golf Course and Driving Range (located on Centennial Drive; includes a pro shop and indoor golf course), and Pine Lakes Golf Club ( located south of Washington on Schuck Road).
The Washington Downtown Historic Square is home to about 30 specialty shops. These include an old-fashioned candy store, a sporting goods store, various places offering collectibles, an antique place, and a furniture shop.
Cherry Tree Shopping Center is a important shopping facility in the city. It is home to a Kroger's, K-Mart, Hallmark Store, a beauty salon, and more.
Between Washington and Sunnyland, there is quite a few chain stores that have recently been built. The most popular is definitely the Wal-Mart Supercenter. In the adjacent lots there is a Menard's, as well as a small shopping center housing, among other things, a GameStop.
Lindy's Downtown Market is the only privately-owned grocery store in Washington. Special treats that are available there are Jones' brand sodas and Fannie Mae candy.
- Sol Azteca, 1289 Peoria Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Great Mexican place. Lots of choices. Delicious homemade salsa. Alcoholic drinks available.
- Gracie's Sports Grille and Pizza, 1021 N. Cummings Lane, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Big, open atmosphere. Offers pizza, wings, sandwiches, etc. Also has a bar.
- Khoury's Restaurant, 305 Peoria Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Great fast food place. Lebanese cuisine and wings, plus traditional fast food standards. Also sells Ben and Jerry's ice cream.
- LaGondola Spaghetti House, 1841 Washington Road, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Italian cuisine. Sandwiches, pasta, appetizers. Also has mini pizzas.
- Maria's, 306 Peoria Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ .
- Michael's Italian Feast, 1006 Peoria Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Another Italian place. Delicious, soft sweet bread. Also, torpedo sandwiches and pizza bread are very good.
- Royal Dragon, 1229 Peoria Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Good local Chinese place. Delicious sugar bisquits. Take-out available. Buffet on Sundays.
- Basta O'Neill's, 661 N. Cummings Lane, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Nicest (and most expensive) restaurant in Washington. Italian and Irish cuisine. Live jazz on Thursdays.
- The Blend, 1130 Peoria Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . A coffee shop. Offers lattes, smoothies, baked goods and more. Warm, cozy atmosphere.
- Bernardi's, 2137 Washington Road, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Yet another Italian restaurant. Dishes include pasta, chicken, and Italian desserts.
- 4A Deli, 110 S. Main Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Fairly cheap deli with good sandwiches. Options include a vegetable sandwich, a traditional hoagie, and a Chicago-style hotdog. Also offers box lunches.
- Denhart Baking Co. and Restaurant, 101 Washington Square, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Offers salads, sandwiches, entrees, baked goods, and coffee drinks, among other things.
- Sleep Inn and Suites, 1101 N. Cummings Lane, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ , fax: +1 309 481-0451. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Nicest chain hotel in Washington.
- Cornerstone Inn, 111 N. Main Street, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Bed and breakfast with seven themed rooms.
- Super 8 Motel, 1884 Washington Road, Washington, IL 61571, ☎ . Decent, fairly inexpensive place to stay. Small continental breakfast.
|Routes through Washington|
|Peoria ← East Peoria ←||W E||→ El Paso → Fort Wayne|