- See also: Cannabis
Despite what you might think, the city's name has nothing to do with cannabis—instead, it comes from the founder of the local lumber mill and pioneer Abner Weed, who discovered that the area's strong winds were helpful in drying lumber. Weed was home to a thriving lumber industry from its founding in 1901 to as late as the 1980s. The historic industrial area at the northeast corner of town has been plagued with environmental concerns and clean-up efforts as a result of chemicals used for wood treatment and glue.
More recently, the wood-product-related industry has been scaled back, and Weed's economy has become more reliant on tourism, as well as light industry and manufacturing of bottled water.
Weed is located along Interstate 5 where it meets the southern end of US Route 97.
- Interstate 5 connects Weed to the south with Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Mexico
- Interstate 5 connect Weed to the north with Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver.
- US Route 97 to the north connects Weed to the high desert of Oregon, the plains of Washington, British Columbia and eventually joins the Alaska Highway.
Weed is served by Siskiyou County's STAGE bus service.
- 1 Weed Lumber Museum, 303 Gilman Ave, ☎ .
- 2 Veterans Living Memorial Sculpture Garden, 13221 US 97, ☎ .
- 3 Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway. A scenic road from volcano to volcano that passes through Weed!
- 1 Mt Shasta Brewing Co., 360 College Ave, ☎ .
- 2 Cedar Lanes, 137 Main St, ☎ . Bowling, cafe, bar at night, and take and bake pizza.
- 3 Weed Skatepark, 1299 Railroad Ave (Traveling South on I-5: Take exit 747 to Central Weed/College of Siskiyous - go 0.2 mi Turn left at S Weed Blvd - go 0.4 mi Bear right and head toward US-97 - go 295 ft Bear right at US-97 - go 0.9 mi Turn right at Cypress Ave - go 82 ft Turn left at Grant Ave - go 328 ft Turn right at W Lincoln Ave - go 422 ft Turn left at Railroad Ave - go 474 ft Arrive at 1299 Railroad Ave Weed, CA 96094 Park can be seen on the right side of US-97 if you miss the turn. Traveling North on I-5: Take exit 747 to Central Weed (US-97)/Klamath Falls - go 0.3 mi Turn right at S Weed Blvd - go 0.3 mi Bear right and head toward US-97 - go 295 ft Bear right at US-97 - go 0.9 mi Turn right at Cypress Ave - go 82 ft Turn left at Grant Ave - go 328 ft Turn right at W Lincoln Ave - go 422 ft Turn left at Railroad Ave - go 474 ft Arrive at 1299 Railroad Ave Weed, CA 96094 Park can be seen on the right side of US-97 if you miss the turn.).
- 4 Mount Shasta Ski Park.
- 5 Weed Golf Club, 27730 Old Edgewood Rd., ☎ .
- 6 Lake Shastina Golf Resort, 5925 Country Club Dr, ☎ .
- 7 Stewart Mineral Springs, 4617 Stewart Springs Rd, ☎ . Monday: Noon - 6PM, Ladies Night 4:30PM - 6PM; Tuesday: Closed; Wednesday: Closed; Thursday: 10AM - 7PM; Friday: Noon - 7PM; Saturday: 10AM - 7PM; Sunday: 10AM - 6PM. Last bath is always 90 minutes prior to closing. Sauna door closes 15 minutes before closing.
- 1 Weed Mercantile Mall, 590 Main St, ☎ . A shopping mall, one of the oldest buildings in Weed.
- 2 Ray's Food Place, 175 N Weed St, ☎ . 7AM-10PM. Market with all your needs
- 1 Pizza Factory, 132 north weed blvd., ☎ . "We toss them, they're awesome". The best pizza ever from here is bbq chicken pizza. It is so yummy.
- 2 Cougar Cafe, 590 Main St (Located in Weed Mercantile Mall), ☎ . 10-5 Tuesday-Saturday. Hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, milkshakes, and root beer floats. Well worth your time! Cheap.
- 3 Burger King, 88 E. Vista Dr, ☎ .
- 1 Quality Inn & Suites, 1830 Black Butte Dr, ☎ .
- 2 Motel 6 Weed - Mount Shasta, 466 North Weed Blvd, ☎ , fax: .
- Lava Beds National Monument northeast of Weed
- Southern Oregon is just an hour north—take I-5 to Ashland or Medford, or follow Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway to Crater Lake National Park
|Routes through Weed|
|Medford ← Yreka ←||N S||→ Mount Shasta → Redding|
|Klamath Falls ← Macdoel ←||N S||→ END|