- See also: Cannabis
Despite what you might think, the city's name has nothing to do with cannabis—instead, it comes from the founder of the local lumber mill and pioneer Abner Weed, who discovered that the area's strong winds were helpful in drying lumber. Weed was home to a thriving lumber industry from its founding in 1901 to as late as the 1980s. The historic industrial area at the northeast corner of town has been plagued with environmental concerns and clean-up efforts as a result of chemicals used for wood treatment and glue.
More recently, the wood-product-related industry has been scaled back, and Weed's economy has become more reliant on tourism, as well as light industry and manufacturing of bottled water.
- Interstate 5: Weed is accessed from I-5 at Vista Dr (Exit #745) and Chaparral Dr (#748). There are three exits to Weed. US Hwy 97 can be accessed "S Weed Blvd/Klamath Falls" Exit (#747).
- Portland, OR (via I-5 for 350 mi (560 km)): 5.5 hours
- Medford, OR (via I-5 for 79 mi (127 km)): 1.5 hour
- Redding, CA (via I-5) for 70 mi (110 km)): 1 hour 15 min.
- Sacramento, CA (via I-5) for 229 mi (369 km)): 3.5 hours
- San Francisco, CA (via I-5, 505 & I-80) for 284 mi (457 km)): 5 hours
- US Hwy 97 Starts from US Hwy 97 & N Weed Blvd and goes up through the high desert of Central Oregon and the plains of Eastern Washington.
- Klamath Falls, OR (US Hwy 97 for 70 mi (110 km)): 1 hour 15 min
- Crater Lake, OR (US Hwy 97 & OR-Hwy 62 for 139 mi (224 km)): 2.5 hours
- Bend, OR (US Hwy 97 for 207 mi (333 km): 3.5 hours
- The Dalles, OR (at Oregon/Washington state line) (US 97 for 336 mi (541 km): 6 hours
- 1 Greyhound, (Bus stop) Dos Amigos Restaurant at 175 E Vista Dr (E Vista Dr & Black Butte, off of I-5 at Exit 745), toll-free: . Greyhound travels primarily on Interstate 5 between Portland and Sacramento via Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Medford, Weed, Redding, Chico, Red Bluff, Oroville and/or Marysville. Passengers transfer to other buses in Portland, Sacramento, Medford or Redding to continue to additional destinations. The bus stop for the Siskiyou STAGE bus is between Comfort Inn and the Greyhound bus stop along Black Butte, across the street from Quality Inn Hotel for the bus into town (see below listing). Prices vary depending on your destination.
- 1 Siskiyou Stage (Nearest stop to Greyhound is between the Greyhound stop and the Comfort Inn Hotel. (labeled as 'Between Greyhound & Comfort Inn' in the schedules)), ☏ . Local connections into town (Weed) and regional connections to Dunsmuir, McCloud, Mt Shasta and Yreka.
Weed is served by Siskiyou County's STAGE bus service.
- 1 Weed Lumber Museum, 303 Gilman Ave, ☏ .
- 2 Veterans Living Memorial Sculpture Garden, 13221 US 97, ☏ .
- 3 Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway. A scenic road from volcano to volcano that passes through Weed!
- 1 Mt Shasta Brewing Co., 360 College Ave, ☏ .
- 2 Cedar Lanes, 137 Main St, ☏ . Bowling, cafe, bar at night, and take and bake pizza.
- 3 Weed Skatepark, 1299 Railroad Ave (Traveling South on I-5: Take exit 747 to Central Weed/College of Siskiyous - go 0.2 mi Turn left at S Weed Blvd - go 0.4 mi Bear right and head toward US-97 - go 295 ft Bear right at US-97 - go 0.9 mi Turn right at Cypress Ave - go 82 ft Turn left at Grant Ave - go 328 ft Turn right at W Lincoln Ave - go 422 ft Turn left at Railroad Ave - go 474 ft Arrive at 1299 Railroad Ave Weed, CA 96094 Park can be seen on the right side of US-97 if you miss the turn. Traveling North on I-5: Take exit 747 to Central Weed (US-97)/Klamath Falls - go 0.3 mi Turn right at S Weed Blvd - go 0.3 mi Bear right and head toward US-97 - go 295 ft Bear right at US-97 - go 0.9 mi Turn right at Cypress Ave - go 82 ft Turn left at Grant Ave - go 328 ft Turn right at W Lincoln Ave - go 422 ft Turn left at Railroad Ave - go 474 ft Arrive at 1299 Railroad Ave Weed, CA 96094 Park can be seen on the right side of US-97 if you miss the turn.).
- 4 Mount Shasta Ski Park.
- 5 Weed Golf Club, 27730 Old Edgewood Rd., ☏ .
- 6 Lake Shastina Golf Resort, 5925 Country Club Dr, ☏ .
- 7 Stewart Mineral Springs, 4617 Stewart Springs Rd, ☏ . Monday: Noon - 6PM, Ladies Night 4:30PM - 6PM; Tuesday: Closed; Wednesday: Closed; Thursday: 10AM - 7PM; Friday: Noon - 7PM; Saturday: 10AM - 7PM; Sunday: 10AM - 6PM. Last bath is always 90 minutes prior to closing. Sauna door closes 15 minutes before closing.
- 1 Weed Mercantile Mall, 590 Main St, ☏ . A shopping mall, one of the oldest buildings in Weed.
- 2 Ray's Food Place, 175 N Weed St, ☏ . 7AM-10PM. Market with all your needs
- 1 Pizza Factory, 132 north weed blvd., ☏ . "We toss them, they're awesome". The best pizza ever from here is bbq chicken pizza. It is so yummy.
- 2 Cougar Cafe, 590 Main St (Located in Weed Mercantile Mall), ☏ . 10-5 Tuesday-Saturday. Hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, milkshakes, and root beer floats. Well worth your time! Cheap.
- 3 Burger King, 88 E. Vista Dr, ☏ .
- 1 Comfort Inn, 1844 Shastina Dr, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Quality Inn & Suites, 1830 Black Butte Dr, ☏ .
- 3 Motel 6 Weed - Mount Shasta, 466 North Weed Blvd, ☏ , fax: .
- 4 Sis Q Inn, 1825 Shastina Dr, ☏ , fax: .
- Lava Beds National Monument northeast of Weed
- Southern Oregon is just an hour north—take I-5 to Ashland or Medford, or follow Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway to Crater Lake National Park
|Routes through Weed|
|Medford ← Yreka ←||N S||→ Mount Shasta → Redding|
|Klamath Falls ← Macdoel ←||N S||→ END|