Wellsboro, Pennsylvania is the county seat of Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Wellsboro is an old fashion, historic town that still depicts life as they way it used to be back in the 1900s. Downtown Wellsboro still has the authentic gas street lamps and the historic buildings. The town offers a variety of interesting sights to visit and fun activities to participate in. Wellsboro is definitely a place for the outdoors lover because of its location within the wilderness. However, it does offer various enjoyable indoor activities for those who do not prefer the outdoors as much.
The closet airport to Wellsboro is in Elmira, NY, around 45 minutes North of town. Due to the distance and lack of reliable transportation, driving to town is a necessity. The town is small enough that once you are in, it is possible to walk around.
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania is located at the northern tip of Pennsylvania. It is located approximately 1 hour north of Williamsport, Pennsylvania and 2 hours 45 minute north of Harrisburg, the capital of Pennsylvania. Wellsboro is situated between two major cities in Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. It is approximately 4 1/2 hours northeast of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and approximately 4 hours northwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania Grand Canyon: Wellsboro is home to Pine Creek Gorge or better known as the Grand Canyon of
- Tioga Trail Rides: Take a horseback ride while enjoying the beautiful scenery of Pennsylvania's countryside. Tioga Trail Rides provides guided tours that meet the needs of everyone. The price is $23 per person for 1 hour and $46 per person for 2 hours. Special trail rides such as the Sunset Ride ($46 per person), the Campfire Rid ($51 per person), and the Supper Ride ($61 per person) are also available. Reservations are required for all horseback rides. Call +1 570 724-6592 to book reservations.
- Tyoga Country Club: [] The Tyoga Country Club is a four star golf course. It is located 2 miles west of Wellsboro on Rt660/Old Pine Creek Road. You do not have to be a member in order to play a round of golf at this country club. The price per round is $58 per person during the week and $63 on weekends. Both of these prices include golf carts. There is also a Clubhouse that serves lunch and dinner. The facility also hosts many weddings and wedding receptions! For more information call +1 570 724-1653 ext 3
- Tioga-Hammond Lakes:[] The Tioga-Hammond Lakes are located on Route 15 12 miles north of Wellsboro. The lakes offer a variety of outdoor family activities include swimming, boating, fishing, hunting, hiking, and picnicking. Overnight facilities are also provided for those who wish to spend more than one day exploring the lakes. For more information call +1-877-444-6777
- Animaland Zoological Park: [] It only takes a few minutes to get from Wellsboro to Animaland Zoological Park. The zoo houses over 200 domestic, exotic, and wild animals within 12 acres. You can walk through the 2-mile walk-thru at your own pace. The zoo is handicap accessible. The entry price is $7 for Students (13+) and Senior Citizens (65+), $8 for Adults, $5 for Children (3-12), and free for Children 2 and under. For more information call +1 570 724-4546.
- Ski Denton:[] If you are planning your visit to Wellsboro in the winter and love to ski Ski Denton is a great place to go. Ski Denton is open year-round because it now provides planned and guided bike routes and trips. It is located west of town along Rt 6, 11 miles before getting to Coudersport, PA and takes approximately 30 minutes to get to from Wellsboro. Chalets are available for those who wish to spend more than one day there. Ski Denton provides reasonable prices: $25 for adults 9AM-4PM and $15 for any 4 hour time frame; $15 for youth 9AM-4PM and $10 for any 4 hour time frame. For more information call +1 814 435-2115.
- The Arcadia Theatre:[] If you're bored one night and don't know what else to do go to the Arcadia Theatre and catch up on some of the latest movies. The Arcadia Theatre is a 4-screen theater located on 50 Main Street in Wellsboro. Admission is Night Shows: $6.50 for adults and $4 for children 12 & under. Matinees: $5.50 for adults and $4 for children 12 & under. The theatre offers a Tuesday night special where adults can see a movie for only $5. For more information call +1 570 724-4957.
- Tioga Central Railroad:[] The Tioga Central Railroad provides various different types of train tours. It also provides seasonal tours in addition to the regular tours such as the Foliage Express that allows you to view the leaves changing colors and the Oktoberfest Dinner Train. Each train provides an open observation car that allows you to take in the full view of the scenery. For more information call +1 570 724-0990.
- Pennsylvania State Laurel Festival: The Pennsylvania State Laurel Festival is held in Wellsboro every year for 9 days starting the second Saturday of June. (2011's June 11-19). The festival is held to celebrate the community of Wellsboro, to promote the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, and the Pennsylvania State Flower, the Mountain Laurel. Numerous events are held during this week and include a pet parade, craft fair, bike race, carnival, 10K and 2-mile runs, various concerts, and the Laurel Parade(3rd Saturday of June). Over the years upwards of 80 ladies around PA represented their high schools in the Laurel Queen pageant. 28 young women from around the keystone state competed in 2011. If you're visiting Wellsboro during the Laurel Festival, a tradition since the 1930's is definitely something worth checking out.
- Dickens of a Christmas: Held the first Friday and Saturday of December annually brings local and regional crafters to Wellsboro, who set up on the sidewalks in front of local merchants for Saturday's festivities. All vendors and merchants along with community players dress in Victorian-era costumes ala Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Main Street is shut off from early Saturday morning through roughly 4PM to allow the thousands of visitors the opportunity to cross among the shops unhindered by traffic. Horse-drawn wagon rides are given up and down the gas-lit and Christmas tree decorated boulevards. Various musicians stroll around town, and the community Men's & Women's Choruses give performances. Some churches and community halls also have crafters on hand. The event is wrapped up with a candle-light peace walk from Packer Park to "The Green" where the community Christmas tree is lit and St.Nick usually arrives on a fire truck.
- Peggy's Candies & Gifts: Peggy's Candies & Gifts is on 82 Main Street. It is a small, old fashioned candy store that still offers Penny Candies as well as a large variety of chocolates and other gourmet candy. It also serves Hershey's Ice Cream and sells gifts and other novelties.
- Artisan's Shoppe, LLC: The Artisan's Shoppe is on 17 1/2 Crafton Street in Wellsboro. It offers gifts, crafts, paintings, jewelry, and more that are handmade by local and regional artists.
- The Farmer's Daughter: The Farmer's Daughter is a small country store that offers country decorations, crafts, and gifts as well as locally hand-made items. The store is on 11719 Route 6.
- Dunham's Department Store: Dunham's is one of the few remaining family-owned department stores in rural Pennsylvania. Even though there is not a mall that is close to Wellsboro, Dunham's Department Store has many different departments that offer everything from the latest fashion trends to housewares and gifts. It is on 45 Main Street.
- Country Ski & Sport: Country Ski & Sport will provide you with all of your outdoor needs including gear for backpacking, skiing, canoeing, and bicycling. This store is on 81 Main Street.
- Wellsboro Diner: The Wellsboro Diner is known for its famous prime rib dinners and sandwiches. The diner serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily as well as offering desserts. Wellsboro Diner is on 19 Main Street.
- Harland's Family Style Restaurant: The Harland's Family Style Restaurant is on 17 Pearl Street. If offers a salad bar and a buffet style meal as well as homemade desserts. Breakfast is also served all day.
- The Native Bagel: The Native Bagel is on 1Central Avenue in Wellsboro. The menu offers a variety of delicious bagels, deli sandwiches, gourmet coffees, soups, and salads.
- Potato City Country Inn: Potato City is located just a few minutes away from Wellsboro on 3084 East Second Street in the town of Coudersport, PA. Potato City offers lunch and dinner, caters events, and is also an inn. For more information call (814) 274-7133.
- Tony's Italian Cuisine: Tony's Italian Cuisine is on 3 Main Street in Wellsboro. It offers homemade Italian meals, a variety of pizzas, salads, and bread.
- Pudgie's Pizzeria & Restaurant: Pudgie's Pizzeria & Restaurant provides a variety of excellent homemade pizzas as well as other Italian dishes.
- Dunkin' Donuts of Wellsboro: If you need a quick breakfast stop or coffee break stop by Dunkin' Donuts on 7 Main Street in Wellsboro.
- Canyon Motel:, ☎ . The Canyon Motel is on 18 East Avenue. The Motel offers a heated indoor pool, whirlpool, fitness center, and high-speed internet access.
- Colton Point Motel:, toll-free: . The Colton Point Motel is on 4643 Route 6 in Wellsboro. Guests staying at the Colton Point Motel will have direct access to over 200 miles snowmobile trails that are within the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.
- The Coach Stop Inn:, toll-free: . The Coach Stop Inn is on 4755 Route 6 in Wellsboro. It lies on 100 acres and is close to hiking and bike trails as well as white water rafting.
- Penn Wells Hotel & Lodge:, ☎ . The Penn Wells Hotel & Lodge is on 62 Main Street in Wellsboro. Penn Wells offers two choices of rooms: The Hotel, which looks pretty much the same way it did in the 1920s, and The Lodge, which is more modern and offers larger rooms.
- Sherwood Motel:, toll-free: . The Sherwood Motel is the most popular motel in Wellsboro and offers some of the best lodging in the entire Canyon County. The Sherwood Motel is on 2 Main Street in Wellsboro.
|Routes through Wellsboro|
|Warren ← Galeton ←||W E||→ Mansfield → Scranton|