West Haven is a few minutes drive southwest of New Haven, which contains details on getting in and out of the region.
It is most common to travel by car. It can be difficult to navigate if you are unfamiliar with the area, one-way streets are common and many streets are not labeled with signs. A good map or a GPS system can be very helpful, and taking a few minutes to plan your route is a good idea in any case.
- Stowe's Seafood, 347 Beach St, ☏ . This small shack at the west end of Beach St is gaudily decked out in boating kitch, both inside and out. Although it makes no pretentions to fine dining, the food is quite surprisingly tasty and there is a wide selection for a restaurant of this type. On the menu are fried and grilled fish of all kinds, fried clam (strips or bellies), lobster rolls, clams on the half-shell, hot dogs, and more. There is cramped indoor dining, shaded and unshaded picnic tables outside, or takeout is available. Highly recommended for a bit of beachside slumming just 10 minutes outside of downtown New Haven. $5-$15.
- Best Western Executive Hotel, 490 Saw Mill Rd, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- [formerly dead link] Hampton Inn & Suites - West Haven, 510 Saw Mill Rd, ☏ .
- EconoLodge, West Haven/New haven (I 95 N/S Exit 42), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. This Hotel is situated 2 miles from downtown New Haven, Yale University & Hospital,the University of New Haven, Quinnipiac University and Sandy Point beach. The Tweed-New Haven Airport is 10 miles from this West Haven hotel.Bradley Point Park, Bradley International Airport, Foxwoods Casino, Mohegan Sun casino and Mystic Seaport - The Museum of America and the Sea, the nation's leading maritime museum, are all about one hour from the hotel. 65.
- Baymont Inn & Suites, 3 Business Park Dr, Branford, CT 06405 (I-95 EXIT 56 N/S . Easy on/off), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. From $79.
New York City is about two hours drive along the coast.
|Routes through West Haven|
|Providence ← New Haven ←||N S||→ Milford → New York City|
|Providence ← New Haven ←||N S||→ Orange → New York City|
|Stamford ← Milford ←||SW NE||→ New Haven → END|
|Stamford ← Milford ←||W E||→ New Haven → New London|