The area serves as a transition area between the agricultural southern portion of Manitoba and its boreal forests Agriculture and its related businesses continue to be the major economic activity in the area. Cattle production is prominent with grain and hay being grown. The local fishing industry is very active during the winter months. Commercial fishing on Lake Manitoba remains a major source of income for some residents.
Towns and communities
- 1 Ashern – small village of 565 people and main service centre for the region.
- 2 Eriksdale – small village of 850 people at the junction of Hwys 6 & 68.
- 3 The Narrows – small settlement and the only place where Lake Manitoba is traversed by a bridge.
West Interlake is about an hour and a half northwest of Winnipeg on PTH 6.
Ashern and Eriksdale are about 25 minutes by car from each other. The Narrows is 35 minutes west of PTH 6 on PTH 68.
- Ashern Pioneer Museum, 26 1st Street S, Ashern, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eriksdale Creamery Museum, 15 Station Lane at Main Street, Eriksdale, ☏ , email@example.com. The only remaining creamery in Manitoba, the restored 1950's creamery showcasing the functions and equipment of butter making
- Sharptale Grouse (Ashern Sharptail Park), PTH 6, Ashern. A 5 m (16 ft) statue of a sharptail grouse, representing the large number of species in the area.
- Hunting – Many species of game birds such as geese, ducks and sharptail grouse are hunted, along with deer, elk, moose and bear. Local guides and outfitters are available as needed.
- Fishing – There mare many opportunities to fish; Family Fishing Derby is held every June.
- Swimming – beaches along Lake Manitoba are located at Oak Bay Lodge, Lake Manitoba Narrows, and Silver Bay.
Ashern is the regional service centre and has basic shopping. Eriksdale also has some basic services.
Eat & drink
- Chicken Chef, 41 Main St, Ashern, ☏ . Daily 11AM-7PM.
- Healthy Chef (Eriksdale Plaza), PTH 6, Eriksdale, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 7AM-11PM, Su noon-8PM.
- Just My Kind of Bakery, 31 Main St, Ashern, ☏ . Tu-F 8AM-5PM.
- Porkchops Roadside Grill, PTH 68, The Narrows.
- Ashern Motor Hotel, 25 Railway Ave, Ashern, ☏ .
- Interlake Motel, 2 Main St, Ashern, ☏ .
- Sharptail Motor Inn, 14 PTH 6, Ashern, ☏ .
- Eriksdale Plaza, PTH 6, Eriksdale, ☏ , .
- McEwen Memorial Park, PTH 6, Eriksdale, email@example.com. 12 unserviced campsites.
- Narrows Sunset Lodge, PTH 68, The Narrows, ☏ . The lodge offers six units in the main lodge, a conference room, convenience store, liquor store, fully licensed dining room, tavern, and seasonal campground. Enjoy activities such as fishing, a beach, and boating.
- 1 Watchorn Provincial Park (12 km W of Moosehorn on PR 237). Located on the eastern shore of Lake Manitoba. Water activities abound at Watchorn Bay, including swimming, boating, canoeing and fishing. The boat launch is located north of the campground at Watchorn Creek. Campground offers 25 basic camping sites, 22 electrical sites and a group use area.
|Routes through West Interlake|
|Thompson ← Grand Rapids ←||N S||→ St. Laurent → Winnipeg|
|Dauphin via ← Ste. Rose du Lac ←||W E||→ Ends at|